• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for some help...

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Yes, with hip surgery a taller vehicle is a must. Remember the '89 Ford Tempo's? The automatic seatbelt would try to strangle you. The Windstar van was comfortable with easy access too. There has to be something reasonable around that area.

Bought the Wife an '02 Jeep Liberty about 4 years ago for $3K and it is fairly tall. Those should be cheap enough to consider.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I did consider getting something other than a Ranger. I was seriously looking at Explorers and FSBs right up until I realized that I may end up going back to work before I can drive a manual and 10-16' trim boards just don't fit. With a Ranger, I can throw my old work cap on it and haul the longer lumber. Buying something only to sell it in the next couple months seems somewhat counterproductive.

I found a really nice Ranger that's been well taken care of locally. It's stretching my budget to get it, and it's a color that I hate (white), but it sounds perfect for me beyond that. Problem is, my dad hates white trucks (and red and green) and is saying absolutely not to taking me to look at the truck (hey, it's going to be mine, like seriously!) Really kinda don't know what to do.

And yes, a Ranger isn't the easiest to get in, but it's not all that bad. I've tried at home here, lol.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Heck, have them deliver and don't tell Dad. I get stuff delivered all the time and I live out in the middle of nowhere. I have purchased snowmobiles and ATVs and have had them delivered because they wouldn't fit in the back of the Ranger and my trailers are not roadworthy.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My first vehicle (66 Chevy Biscayne) was white with red interior...spent so much time fixing it up only to have someone take the passenger side off in a drive by sideswipe...it was so distressing that I have never bought another white vehicle...lol

If you can get a ranger with a cap and some decent tie down method carrying long lumber would be easier for sure...I used to carry those 10' tower sections on my Ranger all the time and even hauled a few 14' sections a few times...

There is also the option to haul a trailer...something I was seriously considering at one point.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Heck, have them deliver and don't tell Dad. I get stuff delivered all the time and I live out in the middle of nowhere. I have purchased snowmobiles and ATVs and have had them delivered because they wouldn't fit in the back of the Ranger and my trailers are not roadworthy.
Oh, yes, delivery is a good option...if that is available....:icon_thumby:

We have a farmer that comes in that uses minivans for his truck. You carry oil out for him and he has bags of feed, fuel cans and buckets of whatever in the back out of the weather.

He buys them cheap (nobody wants a 10+yo used minivan) and they get pretty decent mileage.
I think fuel was the only thing I was reluctant to actually carry inside the van...back then I smoked and I didn't like the idea of blowing up a borrowed van...:)

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I find that there are still lots of honest, helpful folks out there willing to help you out. You are not in an easy situation at the moment and people will understand that. If that ugly white Ranger will meet your needs, give them a call. ( Your Dad can paint it) lol

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

Haha, not sure they would deliver and I'm pretty sure dad would notice a white Ranger showing up here. My place isn't built yet and even if it was I would only be on the other side of the road.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My first vehicle (66 Chevy Biscayne) was white with red interior...spent so much time fixing it up only to have someone take the passenger side off in a drive by sideswipe...it was so distressing that I have never bought another white vehicle...lol

If you can get a ranger with a cap and some decent tie down method carrying long lumber would be easier for sure...I used to carry those 10' tower sections on my Ranger all the time and even hauled a few 14' sections a few times...

There is also the option to haul a trailer...something I was seriously considering at one point.

Lol, I just never liked how white trucks always look dirty.

I had a work cap with ladder racks for my 2000 Ranger. I ran it for awhile like that before removing it in the interest of fuel economy (and because I was able to use a dump truck when I needed to haul material that wouldn't fit in the bed). Never got rid of the cap and rack, it's just sitting here, be easy enough to put it to use again. When I used it before, I had 16' lumber on it and even a few 20' pieces of 1/2" rebar.

A trailer.... I built (dad helped with painting and such) a 10' trailer a couple years ago. Welded the frame together and all, built it from scratch. But it's a bit of overkill for hauling a few trim boards, lol. Also have a 14' equipment trailer (heavy monster) that could use new deck boards. And I have a box truck that is going to be a work trailer/mobile workshop.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Hahaha. Wish I still had a Father to irritate. He had a '76 half ton chevy pick up that he would haul 21' galvanised water pipe with. He either tied it on the passenger mirror and the side of the bed or he simply strung it underneath the truck. That man could haul any thing any where. He once hauled a moose home in the trunk of our '59 Ford Fairlane.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hahaha. Wish I still had a Father to irritate. He had a '76 half ton chevy pick up that he would haul 21' galvanised water pipe with. He either tied it on the passenger mirror and the side of the bed or he simply strung it underneath the truck. That man could haul any thing any where. He once hauled a moose home in the trunk of our '59 Ford Fairlane.

Haha! Yea, I am glad my father is still around, came close to losing him a couple years ago. So for the most part I tolerate his gripes and try to humor him despite being old enough to make my own choices.

Dad still has his 1979 F-150 in the garage and he would do great bodily harm to anyone who would think of hauling water pipe like that with it, lol. Truck is in mint condition with 62k on the clock.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, the replacement vehicle idea has kinda fallen apart for the time being. The funding that I thought I had turned out to have some stupid fine print. So it's back to fixing my junk.

Mighty said he intends on coming to help this weekend. Anyone else who can make it is welcome. I can provide food and a warm place to crash if needed. I'll try to look things over and see what parts I'm still short and get that posted up

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Went up and gave a hand for what I had time for but there's much to be done I'll head back out when I have more time

sent while bored

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Went up and gave a hand for what I had time for but there's much to be done I'll head back out when I have more time

sent while bored

Thanks again for coming over and helping a bit! This week ended up being a mess for me, so I didn't get to try and get things done. Supposed to be some better weather this week, so maybe I'll be able to tinker with the engine some.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Not a problem man!!

sent while bored

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I finally ended up with an automatic to drive. That's the good news. The Ranger that I got needs some work and I have to get my 88 movable at some point among other things, so I could still use a hand here and there for awhile yet if anyone is able to help with anything.

Many, many thanks to those who have donated money and time so far, it is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals