• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking to get a welder

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i am looking to get a welder and i have been looking at the flux core gasless welders. Just want some input i dont want to spend alot and i will only need it for small jobs and maybe a big job every once in awile. portability is also something im looking for.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Fft:

I bought a Lincoln Weld Pak 100HD(is upgradeable to gas) at Lowes for like $450, it's 110, I used it as flux-core for around a year, then upgraded it to gas ($130 package), and have been much happier since. Flux-core is ok, it's welds like a stick-welder as far as splatter goes.

I've used it for weldin 1/4" steel and as long as you have your heat maxed and wire speed where you like it, it'll burn in with good penetration long as you take your time. I spotted my rear axle mod & spring perches, then had a professional welder friend of mine finish up the job with his BIG 220 unit. He told me that as clean as I had the metal & burned in good with the spots, he told me I could of finished the job myself. Told him with my mod & V8 power, wasn't taken any chances!

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you may not want to "spend alot"....but as the old saying goes..."you get what you pay for"....

and welders are prolly the biggest reason behind that saying....

for not alot of money you can get a Hobart Handler 140 which runs off 120V house current, which falls into your portability quest, and can handle all small jobs and the occasional "big" job ( with multiple passes on anything bigger than 1/4' )....

stay away from the Harbor Freight/no "name" brand - Imported - "cheap" junk...you are just throwing away money best saved up for a Hobart, Miller, or Lincoln.....

just my opinion.....

l8r, John

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
i just sold a lincolin 135t welder with a cart and small mig bottle for 450.. it was a 110v unit. i think that something like that or the hobart 140, or the miller 140 would be a Great unit for what you would want.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've had my Lincoln ???-100 for quite a few years and it works great for what I do. I wouldn't hesitate to weld on spring perchs or anything up to 1/4". The only complaint I have is the duty cycle, I can only weld for about 2" before blowing the breaker. That might be the 50 year old shop wiring though, and not the welders fault. I haven't used it with gas yet but I've read that the penetration is better with flux-core, and is better when outside in windy conditions. I'm using it with .035 wire. I bought some .030 wire to try with body panels but haven't got there yet.

Richard

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got a Miller 211 autoset back in Feb. and its the cats meow. It automaticaly sences 115/230 with MVP plug and has autoset for metal thickness/wire diameter. I also got the spoolmate 100 gun for doing aluminum. They cant keep these in stock they are so well liked. I got the welder, spool gun, argon tank w/product, 2 small rolls of alum. wire, large and small scratch brushes and 2 each exta packs of .030 and 0.35 tips all for $1200(I get deep discounts). I have already built 3 aluminum tunnel jet-boats with it this year and just love it. I have 4 friends who bought them and one of them bought one for his son as part of his wedding gift. Good luck and heres a link.:icon_thumby:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_211_autoset/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals