• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loss of RPM’s & rough idle, at start-up

Texican65

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi guys!

My ‘89 Ranger 2.9L w/ 150,000 miles is doing something odd. I drove it around all morning, no problems, let it sit 3 hours, went to pick my kid up from school and….

When I cranked it up, the “check engine” light came on…which I have never seen in 15 years of owning the truck, and the RPM’s just dropped off from a normal 1000 or so to 500.

The truck immediately started running rough and smelled rich. I gave it some gas and the RPM’s climbed, the “check engine light” went away and the truck smoothed out, and stayed that way until i let off the gas. Then RPM’s dropped to 500, light came back on, running rough and smelling rich then died.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Dow

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Check for a vacuum line that may have popped off. One to really look at would be the one to the MAP sensor mounted on the pass side inner fender. You could also pull the codes, since you did get a check engine light. That means it did recognized something was wrong and it will store the code as long as you do not take the battery cable off.

Texican65

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool…thanks for the help. While looking for the MAP sensor…I found a very small 1/8” line running to the vacuum tree on the left side of the intake manifold…and it was ripped in half. I taped it back together with rescue tape…started the truck up…and she ran just fine. Took her for a test spin…ran just great.
Could that little line really have been the issue?

Thanks!
Dow

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
If it's feeding the map....for sure

Did it back fire or pop recently?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Cool…thanks for the help. While looking for the MAP sensor…I found a very small 1/8” line running to the vacuum tree on the left side of the intake manifold…and it was ripped in half. I taped it back together with rescue tape…started the truck up…and she ran just fine. Took her for a test spin…ran just great.
Could that little line really have been the issue?

Thanks!
Dow
The MAP relies on vaccum to teLL the ECM what the engine is doing (IE low vaccum means dump fuel, high vaccuum means drop fuel...very simply put lol) if the line to the MAP was busted it would think you needed fuel. The other sensors saying "WTF is going on im already flooding" is why it didnt die tottally.

Yes that line is important i had mine break and do similar.

Texican65

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi, thanks for the replies.
No it wasn’t the line to the MAP…
And I took her for a spin again…and same issue.

So…I figured I’d ask the OBD1 what it thought. The numbers I got, if reading it correctly, were 11, 11, 163, 63.

11 apparently means system working…couldn’t find a 163….and 63 is “Throttle Position Sensor”…sooo…hoping that could be the issue. I guess I’ll find a new one and go from there.

Do the symptoms I’m having sound like they could be related to a bad throttle position sensor?

thank you

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hi, thanks for the replies.
No it wasn’t the line to the MAP…
And I took her for a spin again…and same issue.

So…I figured I’d ask the OBD1 what it thought. The numbers I got, if reading it correctly, were 11, 11, 163, 63.

11 apparently means system working…couldn’t find a 163….and 63 is “Throttle Position Sensor”…sooo…hoping that could be the issue. I guess I’ll find a new one and go from there.

Do the symptoms I’m having sound like they could be related to a bad throttle position sensor?

thank you
Each time you mess with the gas pedal it does seem to change how it runs. So it is possible. They do wear out eventually. Also check the wiring and the connector up at the TPS.

The guy in the fuel injection books tells you to unplug the tps connector, take a jumper wire and jump the orange wire to the darkgreen/lightgreen wire. Then do the key on engine off code tests again. With the jumper in place, you should get a code 53. If you do, he says to replace the tps sensor.

He says code 63 means the TPS voltage is low. By jumping the orange wire (5v supply wire) to the darkgreen/lightgreen wire (signal wire to the ECM) that will generate a TPS voltage is high code which is 53. So if you get this code, that means the computer is working, there is 5v at the TPS, and the only thing that could be wrong is a bad sensor.

Texican65

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Each time you mess with the gas pedal it does seem to change how it runs. So it is possible. They do wear out eventually. Also check the wiring and the connector up at the TPS.

The guy in the fuel injection books tells you to unplug the tps connector, take a jumper wire and jump the orange wire to the darkgreen/lightgreen wire. Then do the key on engine off code tests again. With the jumper in place, you should get a code 53. If you do, he says to replace the tps sensor.

He says code 63 means the TPS voltage is low. By jumping the orange wire (5v supply wire) to the darkgreen/lightgreen wire (signal wire to the ECM) that will generate a TPS voltage is high code which is 53. So if you get this code, that means the computer is working, there is 5v at the TPS, and the only thing that could be wrong is a bad sensor.
Thank you very much…I’ll try that and reply how it goes!

Texican65

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well… I done swapped the TPS out…and so far she’s running like she’s supposed to. No issues like before, hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals