• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

loud banging noise

bardyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Heaps of great information on this site but, this time I cannot find any info.
I have a 1999 Ford courier (Ranger)4 x4 manual.
The other day I went for a fish on the beach.
As I was driving along the beach in 4 high 4 x 4 there was a loud banging noise
and as I turned over the ruts in the sand left by other cars the banging noise was louder and more constant and stopped to 1 bang every now and then when I drove in the ruts.The banging noise was constant whether I turned left or right over the ruts.I found the driveshaft centre bearing rubber was worn.I replaced this with a new one but, the problem still persists.
In 2wd there is no banging noise,no problems at all
Your help will be much appreciated
Thank you in advance.

bardyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you Andy D for comment.I checked ball joints uni-joints anything that I could move.I had a mate come over we put the 4bi up on stands .What we saw was the lefthand and righthand cv joint boots were ripped and sand and dirt in the outer joint.So we decided to pull the cv joints out,when we got them out there was a fair bit of wear on the outer joints and movement.So we thought this to be the problem and ordered a set of outer cv joints.We assembled the new cv joints and put them back in.(I only ordered the outer cv joint not the complete unit as the inner boots were in good condition.)I took the 4bi for a drive in 4wd low and high range, but I still get the odd bang going in a straight line but when I turn right or left the banging is constant.Could I have made the mistake of not ordering 2 complete cv joints because could the inner joints be the problem?I drove the 4bi in 4wd left front wheel free and right in lock and viceversa going in a circle clockwise and anti-clockwise with no banging as I drove.Got out put both wheels in lock drove in circles and the banging noise was back.I just don't know what to do.Should I order the inner joints?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals