• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lower RPM to pass smog 1987 ford ranger

rangerraul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I got a 1987 Ford Ranger that only won't pass smog because of the RPM which runs too high. Last I checked was close to 1100, and I'm pretty sure it needs to be down to around 800. I'm 19 and have pretty limited experience with working on cars. I brought it to a mechanic to possibly have the clutch replaced since it seems to be on its last legs and to fix the timing issue. The mechanic told me that he doesn't want to get involved because more issues will spring up as he works on it and he is busy. I called the previous owners who I bought it from and she told me her husband messed with the distributor and the timing to get more out of the engine and that in order to get it to pass smog id need to retard the timing? Is that something I can do myself? I'm not completely incapable and have worked on cars more than a lot of people my age, but just enough to know they aren't impossible to work on.

So just to state it clearly, is this something I can do myself? Can i do it in 4-8 hours? Am I better off taking it to a mechanic? I should have enough to pay a mechanic to do it, but would like to avoid that if possible since money and time are little tight.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What engine and transmission?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That won't have a carb. It will have throttle body and injectors. Check for vacuum leaks. Also check the IAC, it is a computer controled vacuum leak. Unplug it. Rpm's should drop to ~500 or engine die. This is good as it shows that there isn't any vacuum leaks.

rangerraul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That won't have a carb. It will have throttle body and injectors. Check for vacuum leaks. Also check the IAC, it is a computer controled vacuum leak. Unplug it. Rpm's should drop to ~500 or engine die. This is good as it shows that there isn't any vacuum leaks.
So since it doesn't have a carburetor I can retard the engine? What is retarding the engine? Also I will go out and unplug the IAC and if it drops that means there isnt any leaks?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its been a long time since I've worked on a 2.9. Iirc there is a distributor. It should be timed at 10° btdc. But look for vacuum leaks before fiddling with timing.

rangerraul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Its been a long time since I've worked on a 2.9. Iirc there is a distributor. It should be timed at 10° btdc. But look for vacuum leaks before fiddling with timing.
Okay got it checking right now

rangerraul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I checked it seems like no leaks. Here are photos of my engine just in case they could help. So if I was going to retard the timing how'd I do that?

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You unplugged the IAC? What did the rpm do?

There is a SPOUT connector. Kind of looks like a fuse. Pull it and use a timing light. Check the timing. Report back...

rangerraul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You unplugged the IAC? What did the rpm do?

There is a SPOUT connector. Kind of looks like a fuse. Pull it and use a timing light. Check the timing. Report back...
Ill try to get a timing light tonight but if i can't Ill report back hopefully tomorrow. Thank you for helping I appreciate it

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I recommend laying on your back under the front of the truck, and cleaning off the front pulley where the timing marks are. Once you find zero, take some white-out or something similar and paint a long white line on the zero mark all the way across. Then find the 10 btdc mark and paint a short white daub on it. Makes it much easier to see with the timing light. If he did advance the timing, that will affect the idle speed.

rangerraul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I recommend laying on your back under the front of the truck, and cleaning off the front pulley where the timing marks are. Once you find zero, take some white-out or something similar and paint a long white line on the zero mark all the way across. Then find the 10 btdc mark and paint a short white daub on it. Makes it much easier to see with the timing light. If he did advance the timing, that will affect the idle speed.
Okay sweet thank you, i'll do that tomorrow

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The SPOUT connector is on the passenger side of the upper plenium (part that says "2.9L electronic fuel injection".

1- Clean off timing marks on harmonic balancer (big pulley looking thing behind the actual pully on the bottom of the engine)

2- Find "10*" and mark it with something very visiable (i use a white paint marker)

3- Loosen distributor (hold down bolt is kind of rough to access, loosen enough to turn dist but not so loose it rattles around

4- Start engine, let it warm up.

5- Remove SPOUT

6- Connect timing light to #1 plug wire as well as the battery.

7- shine timing light at the timing mark you made earlier...the light should blink when the mark you made aligns with the timing pointer on the engine, If it doesnt slowly adjust it untill it does.

8- Shut down engine

9- Torque down distributor

10- Unhook timing light

11- Replace SPOUT

12- Test drive

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals