• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lower spring rate on rear leafs

92ranger4L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4l 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Not getting full travel up under normal circumstances (ie no load in bed) and the front hits bump stops while I have 2 inches of travel to go on rear when flexing out. Front coils already have a 1 inch spacer too and rear is stock. Imo it would be better to soften rear to allow fuller range of travel in rear before hitting front bump stops. I've considered 3 options: 1) remove the shortest leaf spring because on a flat surface, it's not engaged at all, but that may be too loose 2) cut shortest leaf spring down a few inches on a band saw, but that may cause the shortest leaf to put very high pressure on second leaf once it engages or 3) put a .5-1 inch spacer between 3rd and second leaf so that it doesnt add to the spring rate until deeper in the travel.

I'm definitely leaning option 3) but I want to see if anyone had any input

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You referring to the overload leaf? (thick bottom leaf)

If so, is the leaf relatively flat? (only very slightly arched?) Flip it upside down, if so...

I do not recommend completely removing or modifying it though, as the rest of the leaves will likely fatigue right at the axle spring perch.

You probably already know, but your load-carrying capacity will be significantly diminished.

92ranger4L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4l 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Upside down! Of course! I knew there was an obvious solution I was missing. Thanks a bunch

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals