• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering, wheels and bumpsteer

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
So while I totally can't decide what to do with my truck, I figure I should do more research until I figure it out.

Something that I don't like about the front suspension on my '97 is the bumpsteer effect. Does this get any better or worse when you lower the TIB set up?

Also, what about tire size - do wider tires make this effect any better/worse?

PATIA for any input.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
If your alignment is in spec and you don't mess with the pivot points of the suspension geometry you shouldn't really get bump steer. But Ibeam suspension are funny animals that I really haven't been able to figure out what causes and eliminates bump steer just yet, like a control arm and rack and pinion setup. But non the les I carry all the major ranger lowering products on the market as well.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, allow me to introduce you to 4x4junkie's tech article, from TRS's very own Winter 2008 Magazine .....

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

He describes what's going on with it all very well, with diagrams that illustrate the point perfectly.

I understand what happens, I just don't know if using wider tires will make it worse or not. I suspect it would because one should theoretically have more traction with more contact patch, thus greater effect. I just don't know how much greater the effect may be.

And yes, even a stock Ranger will experience the effect. Not as bad as a lifted truck, but it's still there. The few (stock) Rangers i've driven all exhibit the trait.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK gotcha, yea when your lowering a ibeam ranger you dont mess with alot of the steering stuff. Lift guys are using drop pitman arms, drop beam pivot brackets, this stuff is changing the steering pivot points. When lowering, a basic alignment fixes the issues, the only bump steer you get is mainly when you install drop beams the steering linkages need to be adjusted out to correct the toe. Beams should not move you camber or caster much if all. Drop coils on the other hand will change those aspects, but not so much of the toe.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, fair enough. If I decide to lower it i'll be going with DJM beams, so no worries there. I already have the double adjustable bushings too. :headbang:

Thanks!

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I'm really good at getting my alignment set to damn near perfect specs in my driveway, but that article was a DAMN! GOOD read. I'm already wanting to get a better tie rod setup for my ranger (not even lifted, but I HATE bumpsteer. Even if it's minute)

Thank you, 4x4 Junkie!

Oh, and to answer the OP question. I would say lower it mildly if you have the dollars and time. Going lower than that starts to become a headache and truly isn't worth it unless your ranger is solely for pleasure. I had mine lowered 3" / 4" and I put it back to stock (kinda, I flipped shackles) just so I could get some ride quality back and have the ability to haul stuff in the bed. When I was lowered, I only had 3/4" of an inch of suspension travel before hitting bumpstops. Missouri roads aren't the greatest, especially where I'm at.

Tires and wheels don't affect the suspension setup at all except for the ride quality. I had 225/70/14 when I lowered mine and it handled alright. Lower sidewall would've been better, but I didn't have the money for bigger rims. Now I'm running 235/60/15 on some Centerline style wheels that have very shallow backspacing. They stick out from the body about 1 1/2" and I wouldn't be able to lower it safely unless I rolled my fender lips in.

Since I raised my truck back up, those 235/60/15 BFG Radial TA's are amazing on everything I've drove on. I also have my suspension travel back and so bumpy roads are easily tolerable.

I have to go for now (almost late for appointment) but let me know if I can help with anything else.

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm really good at getting my alignment set to damn near perfect specs in my driveway, but that article was a DAMN! GOOD read. I'm already wanting to get a better tie rod setup for my ranger (not even lifted, but I HATE bumpsteer. Even if it's minute)

Thank you, 4x4 Junkie!

Oh, and to answer the OP question. I would say lower it mildly if you have the dollars and time. Going lower than that starts to become a headache and truly isn't worth it unless your ranger is solely for pleasure. I had mine lowered 3" / 4" and I put it back to stock (kinda, I flipped shackles) just so I could get some ride quality back and have the ability to haul stuff in the bed. When I was lowered, I only had 3/4" of an inch of suspension travel before hitting bumpstops. Missouri roads aren't the greatest, especially where I'm at.

Tires and wheels don't affect the suspension setup at all except for the ride quality. I had 225/70/14 when I lowered mine and it handled alright. Lower sidewall would've been better, but I didn't have the money for bigger rims. Now I'm running 235/60/15 on some Centerline style wheels that have very shallow backspacing. They stick out from the body about 1 1/2" and I wouldn't be able to lower it safely unless I rolled my fender lips in.

Since I raised my truck back up, those 235/60/15 BFG Radial TA's are amazing on everything I've drove on. I also have my suspension travel back and so bumpy roads are easily tolerable.

I have to go for now (almost late for appointment) but let me know if I can help with anything else.
Wow, I see quite a resemblance ..... I did my own alignment, too, thanks to 4x4junkie's article, and was pleased with the results. Further agreed with hating bumpsteer. I don't care what height my truck is, there's no excuse (within reason - most everything can be solved with money lol).

Truthfully, right now i'm at a crossroads with my truck. I can't decide if I want to lift it or lower it. I'm putting in tons of time searching and trying to get a better idea of what to expect either way, as well as figure out what would truly suit my needs best. (although having one of each WOULD be ideal, I have bills and mortgage payments to make) Reading stories (?) like your's ALWAYS helps because I always get something out of it, sometimes even things I didn't think of. Right now i'm happy, but I want more ..... or less ..... or ..... idfk! :icon_confused:

IF I lower it i'd like to do DJM beams up front with either a shackle flip or (VERY unusual) putting in my AALs (Add A Leaf for those that don't know) with an axle flip. This would provide less travel, but with a stiffer rate = WAY better handling with less chance of bottoming (don't care for the ride quality though). I really don't see myself going lower than that. (yes, that's what we all say lol).

IF I lift I need a 3" body lift, 31" tires and re-gear the 8.8 TracLoc sitting in the garage. Super easy to do oil changes, too! I already have the Skyjacker lift springs up front with a 1" block in the back, both of which would stay.

Go figure - I bought a Ranger because of great versatility. :icon_rofl: Pitfa versatility! :icon_confused: Might start a wtf do I do thread with pics or something.

Thanks! (for helping to confuse me further lol)

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals