• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5R2 leaking from rear bottom tail housing

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My remanufactured 5 speed manual is leaking from the seal between the tail housing and the main part of the transmission. I thought it was the drain plug at first. I've checked all over the top of the case and can't find any sign of fluid except at this seam. It started the day I installed it about two months ago. I tightened the drain plug thinking it was the issue, but it didn't make any difference. Ugh!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where did you get the remanufactured from? I got one a few years ago from a place in MN and it was a total POS !! They didn't even package it well. The first time I saw it was in back of a UPS truck, laying bare on the floor, with a huge, light cardboard box with no packing layed over it. I got some photos of it somewhere

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You can pull the tailhousing off with the transmission in the truck and reseal it. Kind of a pain but beats removing the trans! I would use anaerobic sealant on that instead of RTV. It's a red liquid that you can get at any parts store. Just a light coat is enough, it works great!

Where did you get the remanufactured from? I got one a few years ago from a place in MN and it was a total POS !! They didn't even package it well. The first time I saw it was in back of a UPS truck, laying bare on the floor, with a huge, light cardboard box with no packing layed over it. I got some photos of it somewhere
Probably Zumbrota... they are sloppy

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There were two transmission rebuilders there not very far apart and altho that name looks familiar I think it was the other one.

I think they didn't like me very much starting out because I insisted on keeping the original transmission and they weren't very happy about that

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Zubrota builds them for PowerTrain who warranties them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals