• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

m5r2 shifter rebuild help

fastford04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought one of these kits to fix a buddy's shifter....

parts came yesterday, but someones had it all apart b4 and i found this blow up of it but its not helping me any...

http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/M5R2 Shifter Rebuild.htm

When i pulled the shifter out of the tower there was a spring in the bottom of the town below the pins it looks like a washer with waves in it i dont know if thats an older picture of one or not but im trying to put this thing back together and im not for sure exactly how it goes back where everythings gone..i know where the 2 socket bushings got but im unfersure if the spring goes back below the pins under that bottom socket bushing or if its does or doesnt go there...any help would be much apprechiated...

Please Help.....

:dntknw::dntknw::dntknw::dntknw::dntknw::dntknw:

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea, when ive done it before they go like this. WIth everything out of the tranny and looking into the hole.
wavy washer then flat washer then plastic bushing. then tap the pins back in place. then the stub shaft. then the plastic bushing a flat washer and a wavy washer. then the top plate. And be sure you put the stub shaft in the correct direction with the flats in the right places.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I hate to jack your thread, but where'd you get the replacement/ rebiuld kit?

I'm doing a M5OD R1 swap, and the bushings and washers and everythign in there are TOAST. I looked on LMC truck, and didn't find anything. Do you have to go through Ford (that where the parts came from in that Tech Library link)?

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
You can get the parts from the dealership. There is also an aftermarket "kit" you can get which is prettymuch the equivalent of what you would buy at the dealership but it's sold for less than half of what you would pay. There is a person selling these kits on ebay under the username "partswoman", she has none listed at the moment but if you check it in a couple of days i'm sure there will be more up.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks guys!
-Back to your scheduled program-

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And unless you have a fullsize truck than you have the M5OD-R1... as that is the only M5OD that was used in the RBVs.

DS2691970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9 I6
Transmission
Manual
I have an 1994 F-150 (M5R2) ,my shifter has started to get loose as s*#t -and sometimes it shifts like brand new. I have been thinking about the above mentioned rebuild kit. I have put in a new flywheel ,clutch kit ,slave cyl.,master cyl., blah blah blah. I have noticed that when the shifter acts new and is locking in place as it should -if I move it around a little bit(shake it around-not too hard) it will get sloppy. I am thinking that it may be something that the rebuild kit will fix. Anyone have any ideas ? :icon_confused:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like the guide pins that stick in from the side may also be worn. If you purchase a kit on ebay, make sure it has those little pins.

DS2691970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9 I6
Transmission
Manual
About the guide pins -Thanx:icon_thumby: I also clicked the link that ranger44 has up there & I will be ordering everything he has listed there also. I hope to get to it the wknd. of the 22/23. I have to say I really like this site & all the info. I have found. Soon as I tackle the shifter i will let you guys know how it went. Thanx.

DS2691970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9 I6
Transmission
Manual
Shifter repair

I want to say thanx guys for the info you posted on shifter repair.:icon_cheers: I have done mine & it works like new. LOL-too new ,kinda miss the slop. Not really ,but it is a nice tight shift pattern now. It does make me wonder why ford designed the pins to just seat in there with no positive holder or retainer. My drivers side one had worked its way out a bit. Any ways I was so hoping to put my pics up here to help anyone-but seems the best I can do is to say you can find them in my photobucket album . Just look up (thebull1970) in photobucket image search. I hope I am able to help someone looking for help on this subject -
Thanx again, Dennis:icon_thumby:

Photobucket link-if it works. ?? Let me know ,K. (http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/thebull1970/)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals