• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Magazine article

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
I was reading the March 08' issue of petersens and saw a article about axles you should not get at the junk yard. They mention both the Dana 28 and 35 as axles to avoid. The thing that gets me though is that they do not describe the axle accuratley. Here is what they say about it.

Dana 35 Front - This 93'-97' Ford Ranger four cylinder axle is built with the smaller, weaker Dana 28 ring gear. It comes with 1 inch diameter, 23-spline axleshafts, which arn't strong enough for high performance vehicles on oversized tires.
Now I do realize that petersens primarily caters to the D60/14BFF crowd, but still. That is just poorly researched.:annoyed:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Well, the 4-cylinder Ranger Dana 35 did use Dana 28 components..........

Why mention it in an article though?

Who ever went to a junkyard and thought 'Damn, that there is a mighty impressive axle! I must find a way to swap that in to my ________!'

The only people buying Dana 28/35's in junkyards are those who already have the axle and broke it.

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
Yeah, but he is calling it a Dana 35, when it is really still a Dana 28, it just happens to have some extra space inside the housing and the bolt pattern of the the 35. I just think there is a lot more to the Dana 35 than he mentions. At least say that the Explorers and 4.0l rangers had a real Dana 35 and not a hybrid.

Last edited:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So my 90 Ranger 4x4 with the 2.3 and a 5 speed has Dana 28 parts in it instead of a real 35?

Swapping to a D30 from a Cherokee isn't such a bad idea afteall then.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
So my 90 Ranger 4x4 with the 2.3 and a 5 speed has Dana 28 parts in it instead of a real 35?

Swapping to a D30 from a Cherokee isn't such a bad idea afteall then.
That link he gave you will tell you how to tell, but I believe those hybrids with the D28 parts only appeared from 93-97.

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
weird, my issue of petersen's that i had not to long ago said that TTB is the thing to have? yet the trannies are weak? I've never really had a problem with either, they both take abuse fairly well, i can say my 96 has went to hell and back.

Last edited:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll check anyway, the 93-97 is what I read into it too. I will eventually go with the D30 because it will be cheap. As soon as my friend swaps his D30 for D60. I swapped in a Tuff Country extended arm kit, so the rad arm brackets ought to be a good length for some y-link arms with the D30.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, the hybrid axle does use the D28 ring and pinoin, but the shafts go from a smaller shaft to fit into the D28 carrier to the full D-35 axle shafts all the way out to the hubs. This is the reason you use the 27spline hubs on D-28/35 hybrid axles. In my opinoin they are a big step up from the D-28 axle, because in has the thicker shafts of the D-35.( The D-28 is notorious for breaking outer shafts.) The tt beams are the same as the d-35 too. Like Jim said, I doubt anyone would want the whole axle except for the hybrid guys who want to keep it, other than that the 28 guys can salvage the ring and pinion, carrier set, and the D-35 guys can use the outer shafts all the way out to the hubs.
I don't think they did write the description right though. They did say 4cyl models, but I think they still got the wrong idea about the axle.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I saw that article too. It made me happy I am letting my subscription lapse. They cater to the jeep and million dollar SUV crowd.

I am much happier with the free version of the 4-Wheel Parts magazine.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Jspafford, I agree. I think my subscription will lapse also. I'll be continuing with the free 4wheel parts mag also, they seem a little more down to earth.:D

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Odd that they got the year range correct, but screwed up on the rest... Most who haven't researched it seem to just say '90-'97 (thinking it was through all years).

Jspafford, I agree. I think my subscription will lapse also. I'll be continuing with the free 4wheel parts mag also, they seem a little more down to earth.:D
The "Old Iron" articles in there are occasionally interesting to read, but the rest of it seems to be mostly just 4wheelpart's advertising (many articles are often written to look like a product review, but rarely is anything negative ever mentioned about it).

The "Wheeling with Finesse" articles also might be good for the beginners.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Odd that they got the year range correct, but screwed up on the rest... Most who haven't researched it seem to just say '90-'97 (thinking it was through all years).

The "Old Iron" articles in there are occasionally interesting to read, but the rest of it seems to be mostly just 4wheelpart's advertising (many articles are often written to look like a product review, but rarely is anything negative ever mentioned about it).

The "Wheeling with Finesse" articles also might be good for the beginners.
I just can't see subscribing to a magazine that is supposed to be about "4 wheel and offroad" when they pick lexus 50K SUV's as 4x4 of the year... Sure I will rush right out and buy one to take it offroad and rip it to shreds.

Or maybe it's because I am cheap and am trying to pay for a wedding so that $20 a year is money I don't need to spend.

I will get my fix from the free stuff.:woot:

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just can't see subscribing to a magazine that is supposed to be about "4 wheel and offroad" when they pick lexus 50K SUV's as 4x4 of the year... Sure I will rush right out and buy one to take it offroad and rip it to shreds.
Say what? That's pretty sad :buttkick:

I'm not really a fan of any off-road magazines anymore. ORA isn't too bad (I think that's the 4WP one), other than that, they're all the same.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I used to read them for the tech, but the tech is less and less about what you can do to improve "_____." and more about what you need to buy to make "_____" better. I understand that there is an aftermarket for the stuff and it is massive but its not what the sport is about and it takes alot of the fun out of it. Theres just something satisfying about finding something good, and making it fit in something it was never meant to fit in, then pounding the crap out of it. I don't find anything special about finding something in a catalog that is designed to be a direct bolt in and putting it in.
Thats pretty much the reason that I don't read the off-road mags much anymore. In recent history the only mag I buy is Diesel Power, its a very interesting read.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals