• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual steering? Manual brakes?

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I'm just trying to find out who has manual steering (or swapped to manual steering) and likes it that way?

And has anyone stuck with manual brakes or swapped to them?

(I would've went with manual brakes last weekend, but the pedal shafts I have from my gen 1 are different lengths and I can't change them without fabbing them up differently.)

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
my 86 was manual steering and i loved the feeling of driving and being so closely connected to the truck. and it wasnt bad in a parking lot cause once you even start moving a littl bit it turned super easy.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my 84 has manual steering and brakes. i like the steering, but with the v8 i think i would like power breaks.lol

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
my dads Supa-Dime (what he calls it. LOL) has manual everything it wasn't a fun truck to learn to drive in at all :annoyed: and was a b!tch to take off in. (Still Is actually) Plus the brakes aren't fun when your used to power brakes. :icon_surprised:

Could have easily killed myself in that freaking thing this winter:dunno:

But It's survived so far and so have I some how

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
my 86 was manual steering and i loved the feeling of driving and being so closely connected to the truck. and it wasnt bad in a parking lot cause once you even start moving a littl bit it turned super easy.
Exactly! It's a closer feeling to what your truck is doing while you're driving.

I can't get any of my friends to understand why I took power steering out...

I'm still looking for someone else that has swapped TO manual, rather than deal with the stock box...

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 86 has manual steering, not sure about the brakes. Can't say I miss power steering at all. The truck is light enough its not a problem for me or my girlfriend even when crawling along. I don't notice being closer to the truck at all, but on my fiero with manual steering I definately notice it and wouldn't have it any other way. And heres the best part, especially when the truck is almost 30 years old.... less parts to break!

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just read your post, I did swap. When i swapped the engines in my truck i left the power steering out. Makes it less complicated, and builds your pipes:icon_thumby:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
That too...

but my gun show doesn't bring anybody around me.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i have manual steering in the ranger, my 69 f-250, and 69 f-350. wouldn't have it any other way.

the f-250 has manual brakes and i HATE it. holding that thing still on an incline is a workout

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My '86 Ranger is PS/PB and it's fine - an easy vehicle to drive.

But my old '66 Mustang has manual steering and manual (drum) brakes. The steering is quite OK, really. The only time I notice is when I'm parking and really cranking on the wheel (it's like six turns lock-to-lock vs. four turns for power steering).

The non-power drum brakes suck, frankly, but not because of the higher pedal effort. They are easy to lock up and they fade away after you use them hard a few too many times (e.g. mountain driving). Which is why I don't do much of that in this car! I am going to get a front disc conversion kit one of these days - all new hardware with a modern dual-reservoir master cylinder (non-power).

Took her out of the garage last week for the first time this spring. Straight to the car wash!

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow that is a nice car!

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
why would you switch to manual brakes? that makes zero sense

my last cj had them, the steering wasn't so bad, but the brakes were between very scary and ohmygodi'mgoingtodie most of the time

atikovi

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm just trying to find out who has manual steering (or swapped to manual steering) and likes it that way?
Can't see why anyone would swap to manual steeing. My 96 Ranger has manual steering and it's a bitch to get into or out of a parking space. Yea I get it about road feel and all but this is a truck, not a sports car.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
As bad as the PS system was on the early trucks according to AllanD the manual system was even worse. Don't do it.

Last edited:

John Smith

Reaction score
actually..

Can't see why anyone would swap to manual steeing. My 96 Ranger has manual steering and it's a bitch to get into or out of a parking space. Yea I get it about road feel and all but this is a truck, not a sports car.
many of the first gen rangers w 4cyl came sans ps/pb....they seem to do fine...i have a friend who owns 3 of them...I have driven an 85 2.0 "powered" 4x4...and it did just fine....when u consider what extra HP it takes run the ps....

in a 4 cyl truck...if ur happy w 4 cyl....a good way to go IMHO....

most here don't run stock trucks..understandably..but if you run standard tires..and want econmomy....kinda hard to argue for ps....in a 4 cyl at least...again JIMHO

when i find the right candidate for a 4 cyl b2...which i am building..it WON't have PS....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals