• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Transfer Case Questions

RedRangerSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I recently purchased an '02 Ranger FX4 (4.0L w/5spd manual trans) and have a couple questions about it. Previously I had a '97 Ranger STX (4.0L w/auto trans). While my old Ranger had 4x4 slected electronically via a knob on the dash, this newer FX4 has a manual selector on the floor, which I would imagine is much more reliable than the electronic setup. Does this have a manual selector because it has a manual transmission rather than automatic, or was it optional? Can this setup still be shifted on-the-fly like the old electronic setup in my '97? My '97 had a light on the dash that indicated that it was in 4x4 high or low. I noticed that with the new truck no lights come on on the dash when I select 4x4 with the shifter. Is this because it is a manual setup, or is the light blown out maybe? I know that it is actually engaging the 4x4, so that is not a problem. Thanks.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the electric t-case has been optional in all rangers since it was introduced in the 80's. all FX4's got manual t-cases (its just part of that trim package). not all 5 speed trucks got manual t-cases though. my '93 has a factory 5 speed and had an electric t-case when i got it.

you can shift into 4hi on the fly. you still need to come to a complete stop to shift into 4low.

you should have dash lights to indicate 4hi and 4low...they might be burnt out or the switch on the t-case might be inoperative.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals