• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

(Many) Coilover questions

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
Good evening all. Sorry for the long post… I was doing my research on suspension because I can never make up my mind…I was initially looking into the QA1 coilovers, but I fell down the rabbit hole of air. From what I understand, Rangers on air springs are similar to coil spring suspension, the air spring and the shock are separate, so if you installed an air bag you would need to either fabricate a shock mount or go without. (Don’t know for certain if I am right…) I see a lot of cars on air suspension use air struts that look like coilovers, so I was trying to find something similar for a ranger. I found this:

https://www.airliftperformance.com/product-lines/builders-series/shocks

From what I gathered it is an air coilover, they sell it with 3 different shock lengths, 4 mounting styles, and 3 air spring styles. I compared the size of the QA1 coilovers that work with the ranger to their spec sheet, there is a pair with the same extended/collapsed length and similar diameter. Any reason why this would not work? Or am I missing something? The reason I am looking into this is because I don’t want to lay frame, so I don’t really want to cut the frame (in the front, not opposed to notching the rear…). Out back I would probably just do 3 links.

Also, I guess this goes for either style of coilover. I was reading the TRS article on coilover conversion. It seemed geared towards 4WD rangers, but it brought up a good point, the coilover rests on the upper shock mount which was not designed to hold all of the weight, so they recommend a frame gusset. Where would you place them on a newer 2WD ranger, or does it even need them?

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/1998-2011-ford-ranger-coilover-conversion/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals