• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Marlin 336C debicle

UpStandingMember

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Did you buy yours at Cabela's?

I don't think my wife will let me buy too many guns. I'm still debating whether to buy a big revolver for hunting or a Kimber .45 automatic to carry/collect/target practice. I think I need to win the lottery.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you buy yours at Cabela's?

I don't think my wife will let me buy too many guns. I'm still debating whether to buy a big revolver for hunting or a Kimber .45 automatic to carry/collect/target practice. I think I need to win the lottery.
Yup, I catch them on sale or use coupons they send in the mail. I did get the '51 for my birthday though.

And legally they are not a gun... would that help you with permission?

UpStandingMember

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yup, I catch them on sale or use coupons they send in the mail. I did get the '51 for my birthday though.

And legally they are not a gun... would that help you with permission?
The old saying comes to mind......it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. LOL

I'll keep an eye out for sales.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I got the... thing back yesterday. Still not what I would consider a nice gun.

The forearm is all beat up from the barrel band being forced over wood that is too big. The barrel band screw is loose and not even lined up with the hole on the opposite side of the band.

If they did change the forearm it doesn't look any better or match the stock any better than the original, I don't know why they messed with it.

It also gained a big dent in the bottom.

The stock is now scratched up.

I know wood gets dinked up over time, but that is one of the reasons I bought a new gun as opposed to a used one. I have been deer hunting with the same Mossberg 500 for 15 years and it isn't this dinked up.

They changed the front sight which apparently is why the sights were off before. My new one lacks a hood, or even provisions for a hood. I do like it as a sight better than the original though.

The action is now really loose, if I hold the gun on its side it does pretty good all the time.

If I hold like a normal person does it is very hit and miss, varying wildly between this and the first pic.

The snap caps do not feed 100% perfect, you can still feel the blunt nose catch before it is forced in if it doesn't hang up altogether.

Put a call in today at noon, told the guy my sad story and his reply was "Well want to do you want, a new gun or a refund"

So I have to fax my proof of purchase in tomorrow to get the refund process started. :icon_thumby:

UpStandingMember

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
At least you're getting your money back.

I WAS thinking of buying a Marlin 45-70, but I don't think so now.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At least you're getting your money back.

I WAS thinking of buying a Marlin 45-70, but I don't think so now.
Make sure it is a real Marlin, a used one made in the CT plant where they had been made forever and you should be good to go.

91 and smaller serial and a JM proofmark. No serials that start with an MR and have a REM proofmark. :icon_thumby:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just read the thread and sucks to hear about your dealings with Marlin/Remington. Hope you are able to get a refund, and get something you like better. On the AK/AR/SKS decision you posted earlier, I'd like to put in my vote for the AR. I own one that I haven't gotten to shoot nearly enough, and like it. My dad has had am SKS for years which he liked until it slam fired on him, from that point on he didn't trust it. He recently bought an AR and likes the platform so much better that he's thinking about selling the SKS, and buying a 7.69X39 upper for the AR.

Real reason I'm posting is this:
Got any good gunsmiths in your area? Take it to them and have it fixed right.....or you could go the custom route, some sand paper, wood stain, and cera-kote.
This one is damn sexy.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83433

-Jester
I have a slightly beat-up Sears Roebuck Ted Williams model 100, in 30-30. ,If you've never heard of it (no surprise) it's a rebranded Winchester Model 94. It's a great shooting little rifle that was given to me by a friend of my dad. As you can imagine from a free gun it shows it's age a little and I've wanted to try to clean it up. After seeing those pics that's my new goal for that rifle, excluding the rails though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just read the thread and sucks to hear about your dealings with Marlin/Remington. Hope you are able to get a refund, and get something you like better. On the AK/AR/SKS decision you posted earlier, I'd like to put in my vote for the AR. I own one that I haven't gotten to shoot nearly enough, and like it. My dad has had am SKS for years which he liked until it slam fired on him, from that point on he didn't trust it. He recently bought an AR and likes the platform so much better that he's thinking about selling the SKS, and buying a 7.69X39 upper for the AR.
Actually dad had an SKS slam fire on him... scared the crap out of him as it dumped a mag full auto unannounced. Mom hated it anyway (especially with the underfolding bayonet) so it ended up being traded in on my Mossberg 500 back in '96.

In the short term I decided I really need a modern pistol more than another rifle that has very limited practical use... especially a shorter ranged one like an AR/AK/SKS.

I wouldn't rule out an AK following me home at some point though... they are a neatly simple gun.

Ah heck, I won't know what I want to do until shortly after I do it anyway. :icon_twisted:

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As somebody who had both an AR and an SKS, the SKS was more enjoyable.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As somebody who had both an AR and an SKS, the SKS was more enjoyable.
I have shot the AR, the only thing I could really fault it on was price. I thought it was very comfortable to shoot, and the most accurate of the three hands down.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have shot the AR, the only thing I could really fault it on was price. I thought it was very comfortable to shoot, and the most accurate of the three hands down.
i didn't say best shooter, i said more enjoyable.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I do decide to buy another rifle, I'd like it to be one of these. I've always liked .308's over the .223's.

http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-SA58 Rifles/products/8/
I have heard the FAL is supposed to be a nice gun, never even seen one in real life though.

I do like the .308 better than the .223 for the simple fact in Iowa all you can hunt with the .223 is varmits, has to be .24+ for deer (and January antlerless season only to boot)

A week after I called in and was given a fax number I called back and inquired why I had heard nothing back, apparently they didn't get it. So I faxed it again and got the paperwork and shipping label right away.

UpStandingMember

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Dude, they sound like they're either incompetent or they're jerkin' you around. Probably both.

I've never had any problems like what you're going through.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have heard the FAL is supposed to be a nice gun, never even seen one in real life though.

I do like the .308 better than the .223 for the simple fact in Iowa all you can hunt with the .223 is varmits, has to be .24+ for deer (and January antlerless season only to boot)

A week after I called in and was given a fax number I called back and inquired why I had heard nothing back, apparently they didn't get it. So I faxed it again and got the paperwork and shipping label right away.
well you don't want to hunt deer with .223 anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals