• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mazda's New Inline Six- Pretty Sweet

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
if there is no tach, it had lights or something in the center, right? or no, it was just a blank area, right?

i cannot remember how my 85 f150 xlt lariat was or my 95 f150 base model was with no tachs

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
if there is no tach, it had lights or something in the center, right? or no, it was just a blank area, right?

i cannot remember how my 85 f150 xlt lariat was or my 95 f150 base model was with no tachs
The 80-86 just had a filler plate...
image002.jpg

The no tach 92-96's just had the Volts and fuel on the right side of the speedo, oil pressure and temp on the leftside, instead of all 4 clustered togther on the left like one with a tach. 87-91 no tach clusters were the same way

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Why not 4wd?
I’ve never came into a situation where I’ve needed 4wd on a daily driver. If anything it’s more of a toy. On a daily driver it just adds weight and more moving parts that have to be maintained.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I’ve never came into a situation where I’ve needed 4wd on a daily driver. If anything it’s more of a toy. On a daily driver it just adds weight and more moving parts that have to be maintained.
I’ve wished I had 4wd a few times Hawking material around the house. Tight maneuvering in dirt/grass and an empty bed don’t mix. Low range would handy with the manual.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’ve wished I had 4wd a few times Hawking material around the house. Tight maneuvering in dirt/grass and an empty bed don’t mix. Low range would handy with the manual.
There are a few times where I would have liked a low range doing something similar, not enough for me to actually do something about.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The 80-86 just had a filler plate...
View attachment 94371

The no tach 92-96's just had the Volts and fuel on the right side of the speedo, oil pressure and temp on the leftside, instead of all 4 clustered togther on the left like one with a tach. 87-91 no tach clusters were the same way
A big thing on certain competitors (*ahem* Chevrolet, GMC) was to have a big clock as standard :rolleyes: and if a tach was available as an option, it would replace the clock. Allegedly the '73–'79 Chevrolet/GMC pickups and Suburbans had tachs available on some models/years, but I've never seen one so equipped. My dad's '76 GMC Suburban was loaded, but even it had a clock instead of a tach. Those trucks have all rusted away anyway.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm driving a loaner CX-90 this weekend and plan to take it on the highway later. The turbo six is a nice, smooth, powerful engine. If Mazda ever brought the BT-50 pickup to North America (dream on), the six would be the ideal engine for it, especially since it was designed for a rear-drive application.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
We just finished driving up to colorado springs in our 2018 mazda3. Its got the 2.5 non trubo and did great. 38mpg and 82 mph average speeds.

It was 1006 miles from our house to the hotel outside fort carson (the on base hotel is full) and the car was very nice for the trip. Its a touring model mazda3.

having done the trip in the ranger, titan , and wrangler, the ranger really decent for the trip and the titan was super. The wrangler always makes me ready to sell it if i have to drive it across texas.

From texline texas, to fort carson colorado, we did between 80 and 95 and got 37.8mpg. I am at half a tank from filling up in texline yesterday at lunch and we have been driving around with our son here so the gas mileage makes the car a great choice versus any of the other vehicles

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A big thing on certain competitors (*ahem* Chevrolet, GMC) was to have a big clock as standard :rolleyes: and if a tach was available as an option, it would replace the clock. Allegedly the '73–'79 Chevrolet/GMC pickups and Suburbans had tachs available on some models/years, but I've never seen one so equipped. My dad's '76 GMC Suburban was loaded, but even it had a clock instead of a tach. Those trucks have all rusted away anyway.
I dont remember a clock on those trucks. Just a massive fuel gauge. I seem to recall seeing tachs though in them. Maybe not.

EDIT-

73tach01.jpg

Yes they had them

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
IIRC, the fuel gauge was as big as the speedo as you decribe on Dad's Suburban, and the clock was in one of the smaller spots. That looks like a later instrument cluster (later than 1976).

Let's face it: very few American vehicles offered tachs in the 1970s. Many larger vehicles had wide linear speedometers taking up the whole instrument cluster leaving little room for a factory tach.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals