• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mercedes 380 SL

Digmenow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Go ahead,
Make / Model
my day.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is a 1981 380 SL. It's a two seater roadster. This model was made from 1972 to 1989 with a variety of engines and upgrades over the years. Mercedes-Benz designated this run by the model # "107".

You can use 107 for ebay searches. You can pick up a clean, non rusted model for between $8 to $12k. You can find them for less in rougher shape. Also, there are so many and the price of gas makes them VERY negotiable in price. Don't be fooled by some of the lower prices, however (see my warning at the bottom). Look for the 560 if you can, it is considered one of the most desirable models (although it takes premium gas at around 15MPG).

My 380 was a result of the Jimmy Carter years in car production. It's a small, aluminum V8 and I can score 20+ MPG.

Here's a forum with some excellent regular posters with firsthand knowledge of repairing them. More at the bottom.

More links:
http://northernresource.com/mercedes/107.htm

Check here for the best source of cars for sale.

Just remember...

There's nothing more expensive than a 'cheap' Mercedes-Benz.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My neighbor has an older Mercedes that looks just like that. Unsure of the year. You have yourself a nice car man.

Digmenow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Go ahead,
Make / Model
my day.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, A.L. It's a 20 footer, for sure. Any closer and you see all the warts. It'll be a hobby project for years to come.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
could have bought a red one some years back for 2k.......had 60k on the clock.
had been sitting for a while so it kinda scared me..............wished i would have bought it thou.

thats a nice ride my friend.

Digmenow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Go ahead,
Make / Model
my day.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
could have bought a red one some years back for 2k.......had 60k on the clock.
had been sitting for a while so it kinda scared me..............wished i would have bought it thou.

thats a nice ride my friend.
Appreciate it! You may have been right to walk away. Low miles are something to be suspicious of with these cars. Everything is vacuum operated (locks, climate control, cruise control, etc.) and all those hoses and tee joints get brittle and leak when they stay parked and many rather expensive bits tend to stop operating and you have no idea why.

These cars like to be driven. It's almost like the Plymouth in the Stephen King movie (and book) "Christine". The more she moved, the better she became. I try to drive it once a week so it stays happy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals