• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mercon V additives?

JJNOLA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Anybody use or know of any good transmission additives? I have a 2.3l m5od that uses mercon V. I feel like I've neglected my tranny (besides regular flushes) compared to all the goodies my engine gets. Right now I just have Mobil 1 synthetic mercon V in it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There really isn't much you can do to "trick out" a manual transmission. Good fluid is about all you can really do for it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I wouldn't suggest Mercon V for a M5OD (at least not for pre-'08 M5ODs), I've seen Merc V cause shifting difficulties in some M5ODs (possibly it's additives are too slippery for the synchros to function correctly).

"Dex/Merc" fluid is what you want (it's the older "Mercon" spec fluid your trans originally called for when it was produced). It will say on the bottle "Meets Mercon specification" or something very similar.
Nearly all of the big-name aftermarket companies (Valvoline, Castrol, etc.) continue to make the fluid even though Ford quit licensing the name for it (and is why the "Dex/Merc" thing), and for good reason too.

If you want a full synthetic instead, I would suggest Royal Purple Synchromax or something along that line. It seems the additive package they use is less likely to screw with the synchros.

JJNOLA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Really? I could of sworn mercon V ATF was the type of fluid. Maybe I'm getting mercon and mercon V confused. I changed it about 2 years ago and I remember I was very skeptical about putting ATF in my manual. But autozone, my mechanic, Ford, and Mazda said that's what they would put in. I haven't had any problems with whatever I put in it. But I'm still gonna lose sleep now lol

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
2 years ago isn't very long... How many miles have you driven on it?
Unless you're offroading a lot (or you got contaminants into it such as water from a creek crossing), I'd probably just leave it alone for now.

The Ford service manual recommends changing the MT fluid every 60K miles under the "Normal" schedule, and 30K under "Severe Duty" schedule.

Indeed it's easy to get confused about manual transmission fluids for our trucks. Some take ATF, others gear oil. Ford's shenanigans with the licensing of the Mercon name, and their flopping back & forth in stating the two fluids were NOT compatible (and will void your warranty) to then stating "they are fully backward-compatible" (when they are not) doesn't help matters at all.
Mercon fluid continues to exist as "Dex/Merc" for this reason, so that is what I've used and recommend.

JJNOLA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good! I haven't had any transmission problems besides shift rail plugs and shifter rebuild so I'll leave it until it's time to change it. I'll remember dex/merc for next time. Thanks for the info my friend.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals