• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MOOG Parts VS NAPA Parts

ClaytonBigsby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turd.8
Transmission
Manual
I went to a local retailer today (Baxter) and spent $420 on tie rod ends, upper/lower ball joints, U Joints, and a box full of bushings; insisting on the best. I got all MOOG parts and they look built to last. Then I went to NAPA to get the draglink Baxter didn't carry, and the guy told me NAPA's economy line is the same as MOOG. It's the second Sat of the month sale and I got all of the same parts + the draglink for $240!!!!! So:

NAPA Crappa, or better than MOOG?

Also, with 300k miles, should the pitman arm be toast, or they built to last?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Napa's house brands are all outsourced. Some of their suspension parts are indeed made by Moog. I've found Napa to be better than Autozone and O'Reilly at selecting who they have make their stuff. I like that they can tell you who makes the parts. I bought tie rods for my Explorer and they were made by Spicer, but in a Napa box.

Sent while I should be doing something else

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Friends have told me Napa has better parts but I haven't confirmed this personally. I usually get Moog parts myself without issues.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

ClaytonBigsby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turd.8
Transmission
Manual
I bought all the parts from each store to compare and some where exactly the same. I picked the Moog Tie rod ends ($20 more), but NAPA's ball joints ($115 less). U joints were the exact same packaging, $26 more at Baxter. Thanks for the replies.

Sent in the middle of a shoot out.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i should just throw this out there... moog is no longer moog, iirc, federal mougal sold moog to a chinese manufacture about 6 months ago or so, so the moog brand name is now being put on cheap chinese parts...

the "new" moog parts, were previously branded under the name "national" now i am unaware if this is all parts, or some parts, but i know this is what i found out when i looked into getting moog wheel bearings

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Most all of the chain stores have their store parts made by someone else. I've seen Autozone "Duralast" branded boxes that when you dump the part out, it has MOOG or SPICER stamped on it. Most of the time they don't have anything like that on it though. I will usually get Autozone parts just because their "lifetime warranty" actually means lifetime to them - as long as you own the vehicle.

Right now I'm not all that happy with Moog though. About a year ago I purchased a new set of heavy duty coil springs for my F-150. I didn't plow with it and I didn't abuse them, but they're sitting pretty much at the same point now as the worn-out springs I replaced..... or about 3" lower than they're supposed to sit....

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I work at NAPA. Moog is now made by Federal-Mogoul, which is our "cheap" house brand. It's not necessarily a bad product though. Dana makes our better stuff.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
A lot of people (including guys on TRS) are now suggesting the Raybestos Professional Grade over Moog.

Sent while I should be doing something else

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dana makes our better stuff.
I work for Dana and find this hard to believe. Anymore, Dana quality is CRAP.

Dana makes a lot of stuff outside the United States now. They ship the parts to Marion from Mexico, we repack them into Marion boxes.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I work at NAPA. Moog is now made by Federal-Mogoul, which is our "cheap" house brand.
i am also about 99% sure that moog has ALWAYS been made by federal-mogul, up until the last year or two

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I work at NAPA. Moog is now made by Federal-Mogoul, which is our "cheap" house brand. It's not necessarily a bad product though. Dana makes our better stuff.
I know Moog has been under the Federal-Mogul umbrella for some time now (8-10 years at least, probably much longer). My luck with them has been variable... Their tie rod ends seem OK, but their ball joints lasted a mere 5000 miles or so on my D35 before becoming sloppy (all bought around mid-'04). Spicers on the other hand (which I bought under the Raybestos Pro Grade label around '09) are up to at least 15K now and still good & tight.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i worded that poorly... i'm not sure to what extent, but from what i understand, the majority of moog parts are being made overseas by other companies, and only a small handful are still "moog" parts

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i worded that poorly... i'm not sure to what extent, but from what i understand, the majority of moog parts are being made overseas by other companies, and only a small handful are still "moog" parts

Do you have any references for that? I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I just want to read up on that.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Do you have any references for that? I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I just want to read up on that.
I would too. I've poked around the internet a bit about it, and all I can really see is individuals in forums talking about it.

I'm really trying to buy as little as possible that is Chinese made.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals