• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motor mounts are a pain!

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

:temper::temper::temper:

So, we decided to build something different... As stated we don't want to go through the PAIN of chainging stock 2.3 style mounts ever again. So after looking at builds online, I decided to build some bushing style mounts. Sort of like this... Only better.:stirthepot:

Well, we will still use the plates that attach to the frame and the ones that attach to the motor. Last year we bought 2 2" bushings from Suicidedoors.com. THese are 2" wide, 2"OD .25 wall DOM sleeves with poly bushings and sleeves to accept 9/16" bolts. Also bought 4 tabs that made of .25" plate. I'll need to cut the tabs down, as the whole replacement needs to be 3" tall... So first thing I did, sliced some 2" square in half and ground out the inside cut edges so the DOM would be a tighter fit, and then welded the DOM to the square. I finished by grinding the welds smooth...

The square edges will be welded to the frame side mounts, and the tabs will be welded to the motor side plates.:icon_welder:
Next step for these is to test fit the motor back in and then tack the parts together, rip them back out and finish weld and paint...:icon_cheers:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might as well add a couple more...

Just need to trim 3/4" off each tab and these new mounts will be right at 3"...

Rocky Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
!!!!!!!

Nice Job Roger!:icon_cheers::icon_cheers::icon_cheers:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably won't get them finished till Friday or Saturday. Working late all week. And I really need an extra set of hands to push the Ranger back into the garage... Not enough cord on the welder!

Ought to be hell for sturdy though. If the 2.3 tears these up, I've got problems elsewhere too.

CTswampyankee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302HO
Transmission
Manual
Nice!!! ive just used ratchat straps haha

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to stuff some tire tread under the oilpan before I realized the mounts were totally shot again.With all the work to swap the factory type mounts, this way, two bolts and 4 bushing halves shouldn't take more than an hour to swap if I EVER need to. And since this truck is being built for rocks, I really want to keep that motor in its place.

I really need, a bench grinder, band saw, belt sander and plasma cutter...

Last edited:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, I'm new to this whole MIG welding thing right? I'm building these motor mounts for the Ranger and using the plates from the motor as a basis with leaf spring bushings.

I had tabs in place and then realized, my bushings wouldn't fit right. :dntknw:

So, I had to cut one tab off each plate. :idiot:

Man, one of these welds was my best one yet too... :icon_welder:

And at least I can see I had good penetration... :headbang:

After cutting the tabs off, I ran out of wire. Well, new wire worked a little different so I needed to do a little practice, realized I had the gas off... Turned on the gas and the welds looked better again. But still need practice. Anyway, back to the build. So, I added a washer between the tab and the bushing sleeve to give a little more room. And wouldn't you know it. I get the tab welded back on this plate and realize...

That I put the tabs on the wrong side of the plate... :temper::pissedoff::icon_confused:

Ruined a .25" tab... Oh well, I've got 3/16ths plate I can use to make a replacement. Or I could double up some 1/8th inch stuff.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
MAde a new tab of 3/16th to replace the .25" I ruined. And moved the tabs to the proper side of the mount.:taunt:

Good heat getting through....:icon_welder:

Mounts on the motor...

Frame side mounts.

Motor is in today! Yea!!!:yahoo::yahoo:

Lots more to do on this project. But these motor mounts ought to be the last mounts I buy. And shouldn't be that difficult to replace should the bushings give up eventually. Yes, probably overkill for a 2.3. But then again, better than the motor flopping around loose like it did when the stock type mounts broke, again.:black_eye:

OK, at least THIS part of the Warthog project is done...

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, um, nobody has ever broken an engine mount before?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I just broke the passenger side today... low range reverse in sand and some type of drivetrain surge issue (probably the engine mounts going coupled with the somewhat sticky clutch) then the shifter started tipping WAY over twards my knee...

I was thinking of doing something like this for mine, I might head to the junk yard tomorrow and see if I can gather up some frame side and engine side plates to get them made up before I tear into my truck... since it is my daily driver... :)

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stock type mounts are 3" high or so. Mine are 3.25" If I had been smart, if, I would have made a jig for both sides. $40 in parts from Suicidedoors.com. And a ton of time getting them fit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals