• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

muffler info

Slo Ranger Trk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

hey all, good day to you all ...
this system is used on my califonia smog motored 2.5l truck .. i'm very lucky that the cat converters tested 0 hydrocarbons last smog ... the set up in the truck now is stock manifold ( internal ported & polished ) down pipe, with both converters inline, into a short tube, then the muffler and a turndown just before the rear axle ... my question is what type of muffler should i use ? i'm aware that all the B.S./ hp numbers are crap... just looking for a muffler that will keep the backpressure ok, and maybe flow a tick better ...
thanks all, mahalo

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If all you want to do is make noise, get a flowmaster. If you want something that sounds good, lasts, and performs well, look elsewhere.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Flowmasters last, and perform well, and they sound as good as a lima ever will.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used to work in an exhaust shop, flowmasters do not last.

Last edited:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Of course when they get rusty as hell. Flowmasters I've had on a few mustangs and other cars always lasted fine for me. I have a thrush welded on my truck now. For about a quarter of the cost of a flow master, they are pretty much a copy of a flow master. And they're pretty stout and sound good.... even on a 3.0, which I dodnt think could happen

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Case and point, you can't see it rotting out until it is too late... as you can clearly see in the pictures.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Nothing but stainless will last in the rust belt, doesn't matter the brand.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the only reason it rusted like that is location. I guaruntee you it wouldn't rust in Arizona. Sure you've had bad experiences with them, but don't knock 'em if your not being logical about it.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the only reason it rusted like that is location. I guaruntee you it wouldn't rust in Arizona. Sure you've had bad experiences with them, but don't knock 'em if your not being logical about it.
Nothing but stainless will last in the rust belt, doesn't matter the brand.

You two don't seem to understand. The muffler is rotting from the inside out, not the outside in. It has absolutely nothing to do with location.

Nothing rusts like a flowmaster (non-stainless). Look it up. By the way, nothing drones like a flowmaster either: Flowmaster Drone

Don't forget the tin can sound:
Flowmaster "tinny" sound

Here is a guy in cali that is known to go through 40s like crazy, this is the car rolling off the lift with new Dynomax UltraFlo mufflers. It went in with broken 40s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa1zaXxdmNs

Read the comments:

I'm not trying to sell these things. My 40's were falling apart and it was time for a change.  I decided to go a little more of a low key approach brcause I was getting all the wrong kind of attention. With a little less noise, I get to enjoy the car more. With track days coming, I'm sure I'll notice a performance increase as well.
Glad it worked out for you. I have Dynomat and the 40's were in the stock location with the exhaust exiting out the back. It was just too loud. Constantly getting pulled over is not my deal. After years of replacing broken 40's, I finally wised up and decided to go with a better muffler. The Ultra Flo's are some of the best flowing mufflers available. Can't really beat straight through flow numbers. Dyno and flow charts show the facts. Loud doesn't mean powerful.
The FlowMaster 40's in 3 inch were way to loud with the 454 and cam. There was a constant droning inside the car that literally drove me nuts over 45 mph. At idle they were too loud. If you are looking for a loud exhaust and your car is relatively stock, the 40's maybe right for you. They are great on cruise nights and cars shows because they will get you noticed. You'll get noticed by the Police too.

It all depends on taste. Consider the super 44's over the 40
Check out my previous videos. I may have some with me driving the 40's. I know I have some good ones of the idle and rapping the engine.

In my opinion, the 40's are for guys that want attention. I can live without it and I'm happy as hell with the Dynomax Ultraflo's. My neighbor says her nick nacs don't shake off the shelves anymore. So she's happy too.

Last edited:

88ranger89camaro

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nothing drones like a flowmaster either
Yeah the one on my camaro droned like crazy ...... I will say in 8 years it had no rust, I swaped it out for a Cherry Bomb Vortex

I put a Magnaflow on my Ranger

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a pair of Flowmaster muffler comparisons... note how tinny they all are. When I say tinny, I mean the similar sound you get when you have a soda can on your bicycle tire. It becomes obvious when he revs it. Sounds like a tin can. Another analogy that many people use is the sound of marbles in a can, flowmaster mastered this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlGqSd7QjWQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUUteVjNdI0

I heavily advise you to listen to this with a high quality set of headphones or speakers.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
We get it, you don't like flowmasters, they aren't my favorite either. I've still never seen one around here rust through.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my vote is on a thrush welded

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't work for any exhaust company. I used to work at an exhaust shop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals