• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mustang SUV inspiration?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Are you 13 ?

What bobbywalter said.
Not 13:thefinger:. I live in a City with streets and pavement. I also like to get on an open road an go fast from time to time. Probably the same way some of ya'll like to go into the woods and trail ride. Just like you want to build a baddass rock crawler or whatever, I want to build a sweet ass street rod out of my ranger. Whats wrong with that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not 13:thefinger:. I live in a City with streets and pavement. I also like to get on an open road an go fast from time to time. Probably the same way some of ya'll like to go into the woods and trail ride. Just like you want to build a baddass rock crawler or whatever, I want to build a sweet ass street rod out of my ranger. Whats wrong with that.
The new Ranger will already have pretty much the same powertrain as a base Mustang.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
The new Ranger will already have pretty much the same powertrain as a base Mustang.
So ... the Ranger will go as fast as the Slowest mustang Cool cant wait to get ahold of one of those things.:icon_confused:

I don't understand how ya'll think 4wd rangers are the only thing that should get built. Some of ya'll have 3 or 4 4wd trucks. That's cool, for you. I do not want 4wd or even need it where I go. So why is it so hard to understand that not everybody wants a high COG ( center of gravity) with oversized tires. This is the only forum I am a member of but I am seriously looking for a more STREET oriented forum, since this FORUM is obviously geared towards off-roading, overlanding, and rock crawling. If there are any forums out there that you all know of, Please let me know. Really starting to feel unwelcome here.
Every time I mention a fast single cab 2wd truck I get beat down with "why" and there's no market for that anymore, SMH. I just wanted help/info on building a nice Ranger for the streets not the trails.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I don't think anybody is telling you not to build one. A fast 2wd truck sounds like a lot of fun to me, and probably to others here. That said, there's an ocean of difference between agreeing that it's fun to build/drive one and agreeing that Ford should produce one from the factory after years of them failing in the marketplace.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Oh, I'm building the truck I want, I just think I'm in the wrong forum. This is the BEST 4x4RANGER forum, no doubt. I am looking for the best 2wd RANGER forum with more diversity and info on 2wd trucks that might be built for speed on pavement instead of Pre-Running- what-ever that is???( I know, it's going fast on sand woo-hoo) I know some of ya'll are old enough to remember what a "sleeper" is, I fast automobile that looks stock. BAM that's what I will have.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So ... the Ranger will go as fast as the Slowest mustang Cool cant wait to get ahold of one of those things.:icon_confused:

I don't understand how ya'll think 4wd rangers are the only thing that should get built. Some of ya'll have 3 or 4 4wd trucks. That's cool, for you. I do not want 4wd or even need it where I go. So why is it so hard to understand that not everybody wants a high COG ( center of gravity) with oversized tires. This is the only forum I am a member of but I am seriously looking for a more STREET oriented forum, since this FORUM is obviously geared towards off-roading, overlanding, and rock crawling. If there are any forums out there that you all know of, Please let me know. Really starting to feel unwelcome here.
Every time I mention a fast single cab 2wd truck I get beat down with "why" and there's no market for that anymore, SMH. I just wanted help/info on building a nice Ranger for the streets not the trails.
Well with the Mustang being a sports car, and the Ranger being a 1/4 ton pickup, Ford probably doesn't think there is much market for a performance version, which is why they aren't building one. Not enough profit.

Now there actually is a lot of information here about lowering your truck, and other street performance topics, but you have to look for them. One of the trends I have noticed around here after almost 10 years, is that the 4x4 guys come in, learn, do their thing, then hang around and show off pictures of trail rides, share what they have learned, and help answer questions for people trying to get started.

The street guys on the other hand, tend to come in, learn what they can about dropping their trucks, and once they get it finished and throw up a few "finished product" pics, we don't hear from most of them again. It isn't that this forum is hostile to 2wd street trucks by design, it's just a matter of who hangs around after their project is finished, and who doesn't.

For those of us who go the lifted 4x4 route, some them prefer that styling, but for many of us it is a matter of functionality. Many use them for trail rides, other just live in area where you pretty much need the height and the 4x4 to get around in winter, at least a few times a year. I personally have had to deal with at least two storms each year, for the last four years, that were up around my bumpers. For those of us who deal with harsh winters where you almost have to have a 4x4, and while a high COG can cause stability problems if you get careless, sometimes ground clearance is more important, these are facts of life that make a lowered truck seem like a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Exciting for a little bit, but not really worthwhile in the long run.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Well with the Mustang being a sports car, and the Ranger being a 1/4 ton pickup, Ford probably doesn't think there is much market for a performance version, which is why they aren't building one. Not enough profit.
I understand this, that's why I'm building mine

Now there actually is a lot of information here about lowering your truck, and other street performance topics, but you have to look for them. One of the trends I have noticed around here after almost 10 years, is that the 4x4 guys come in, learn, do their thing, then hang around and show off pictures of trail rides, share what they have learned, and help answer questions for people trying to get started..
I appreciate all the info that I have gotten from you all.

The street guys on the other hand, tend to come in, learn what they can about dropping their trucks, and once they get it finished and throw up a few "finished product" pics, we don't hear from most of them again. It isn't that this forum is hostile to 2wd street trucks by design, it's just a matter of who hangs around after their project is finished, and who doesn't..
Good to know.

For those of us who go the lifted 4x4 route, some them prefer that styling, but for many of us it is a matter of functionality. Many use them for trail rides, other just live in area where you pretty much need the height and the 4x4 to get around in winter, at least a few times a year. I personally have had to deal with at least two storms each year, for the last four years, that were up around my bumpers. For those of us who deal with harsh winters where you almost have to have a 4x4, and while a high COG can cause stability problems if you get careless, sometimes ground clearance is more important, these are facts of life that make a lowered truck seem like a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Exciting for a little bit, but not really worthwhile in the long run.
I've already stated that NONE of this applies to me. I live, drive, and stay on pavement in this truck. No need for any 4wd related info, but that is what I get. If I ask a 2wd question I get a 4wd answer, do you know how disheartening that is, When you think you have the info you need and then NONE of it is of use because they were speaking in 4wd terms and you have a 2wd.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Oh good grief. You're hearing what you think people are saying instead of actually listening.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, one night at the 1/8 mile strip I watched a brand new 300hp V6 automatic Mustang PUMMEL two LS1/LS2 late model GTO's, don't sell it short. :icon_thumby:

I never said a thing about 2wd, I get you don't need that. However I actually own a standard cab truck, for what it is it is fun... but day to day it was less than ideal. In high school with little bro 3 years behind me I had to have a toolbox in the back to keep our backpacks in during bad weather. Hunting is a PITA having to shuffle guns from the back (in the weather) to the front when we stop for lunch. And they have to ride in the back with a bleeding out deer.

I have an extended cab F-150 and I use the back seat for just about everything but sitting. Chocolate lab rides there, my AR was riding back there last night when I went shooting. Bow case fits nicely back there. Groceries go there so I am not chasing soup cans all over the bed with a broom.

I have lived with one for 18 years almost to the day, while I love the truck and have no intentions of it going anywhere... I just don't care to have another standard cab DD again.

Actually we have quite a few nice 2wd build threads going. That forum is probably more active than the 4wd forum if you want to get technical.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Oh good grief. You're hearing what you think people are saying instead of actually listening.
Yes I hear what I think people are saying, that is how ears work. but I am READING these answers from 4wd guys to a 2wd guy. It gets a little confusing. TTB is 4wd TIB is 2wd. no Transfer case to worry about. Not lifting anything I just wanted info on putting a v8 in my SPORT truck. and when I post a picture of a cool looking ranger with a mustang in the grill, everyone tells me " There is no market for this" or "No profit margin" if there was no market for it then why have half of the people in here have done engine upgrades. OH because there stock power plant wasn't enough. There IS a market for it, it's called the AFTER market,just not enough profit margin for it to be a factory option, because there is more profit in mass producing one product for the masses, than there is in many similar products that appeal to smaller groups.

I just want to ask 2wd questions and get 2wd answers.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Hey, one night at the 1/8 mile strip I watched a brand new 300hp V6 automatic Mustang PUMMEL two LS1/LS2 late model GTO's, don't sell it short. :icon_thumby:
Not a base mustang 2.3t

I never said a thing about 2wd, I get you don't need that. However I actually own a standard cab truck, for what it is it is fun... but day to day it was less than ideal. In high school with little bro 3 years behind me I had to have a toolbox in the back to keep our backpacks in during bad weather. Hunting is a PITA having to shuffle guns from the back (in the weather) to the front when we stop for lunch. And they have to ride in the back with a bleeding out deer.
I do not hunt, or have siblings that need a ride.

I have an extended cab F-150 and I use the back seat for just about everything but sitting. Chocolate lab rides there, my AR was riding back there last night when I went shooting. Bow case fits nicely back there. Groceries go there so I am not chasing soup cans all over the bed with a broom.
I have a Corolla for this application

I have lived with one for 18 years almost to the day, while I love the truck and have no intentions of it going anywhere... I just don't care to have another standard cab DD again.
Standard cab was not my option, but, this is the truck I ended up with .

nice single cab LIFTED ranger you got.

Actually we have quite a few nice 2wd build threads going. That forum is probably more active than the 4wd forum if you want to get technical.

It's not. I do not drive a 2wd lifted truck nor do I drive a lowered or minitruck. those are my two options that are not 4wd related. My ride is a stock 2wd ranger with the hopes of getting a v8 donor. I have been all over this forum for the past few months and have received a lot of info, but when it comes to 2wd street rangers, there is not a lot.:dunno: obviously this is an uphill battle, I will just take the info that applies to me and throw away the other 90% of it.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would think a 300hp 2.3T would run similar to a 300hp V6.

There are a few active and awesome street truck build threads. Then there are the ones of legend like teddy we and baddad. Not many active 4wd build threads, mine is probably the most active.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

first. you are welcome here. and i was heavy into the 2wd hotrod shit 30 years ago.

you seem to miss the fact "they" dont build a fuking thing that suits most of us either.

jeep track hawk.....srt 8 jeep and durango.... porche cayenne. lambo has always had an epic suv....vw has a good handler....maserati..

bring a bank vault...

remember...the typhoon? the syclone and typhoon are the best street brawlers out there factory produced for what your wanting.....

for the cost of the current rigs i will beat them all handily with that ancient platform.

STREET MACHINE NOT DRAG STRIP BITCH

but they excell there as well.

what the fuk you are missing?

well it is simple. just build it. we build our shit....and so do you.

if your a ford guy and want a single cab bad ass mother fawker...

do like was proposed in another thread and graft an 3.5 ecoboost awd flex/explorer/mkz and ranger together....low and ruthless.

or for simplicities sake use a older sla explorer chassis....lower and tune.

or real simple...just build what you have with a turbo mazda engine....the 4 cyl home built turbo ranger will easily exceed the power levels of any factory ecoboost. the weight bias is eaasily dealt with with a remote turbo and any other weight relocated to the rear centerline...

i have been putting v8's, literally all of the common v8's built since the 70's in this platform since the 80's.

these trucks are fuking useless to use in a street brawler in 2wd fashion. when its pouring rain with 400-500 horse power on tap they are literally a horror show...but they have good company cause most hotrods are this way.

that is just being honest. awd....AWD NOT 4WD changes the equation dramatically.

cold street is hard to launch on...wet cold can get dicey just drivng to get milk.

building a bad bass gm is a easy place to start. syclone wont be cheap now though. but to have performance it has to be a syclone and NOT an extreme. why is that?

if you want a simple 2wd hotrod build it.

otherwise

the forums for what you want to do should be booming....hell i bet there are 50 ranger 2wd low rider specific forums out there with guys beating mustang gt and honda s 2000 and camaros with just suspension bolt ons for epic street handling..

trucks primary function is simple.

utility.

from there its idiots like us.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've already stated that NONE of this applies to me. I live, drive, and stay on pavement in this truck. No need for any 4wd related info, but that is what I get. If I ask a 2wd question I get a 4wd answer, do you know how disheartening that is, When you think you have the info you need and then NONE of it is of use because they were speaking in 4wd terms and you have a 2wd.
It's not. I do not drive a 2wd lifted truck nor do I drive a lowered or minitruck. those are my two options that are not 4wd related. My ride is a stock 2wd ranger with the hopes of getting a v8 donor. I have been all over this forum for the past few months and have received a lot of info, but when it comes to 2wd street rangers, there is not a lot.:dunno: obviously this is an uphill battle, I will just take the info that applies to me and throw away the other 90% of it.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but what I am reading here is that you are upset because the answers you are getting are from the owners of 4x4 vehicles, and you want your answers from the owners of 2wd vehicles.

Right now I only have 4x4 Rangers, but I have owned two 2wds, one was stock, one was lifted, poorly. I have never owned 98+2wd for myself, but I have worked on them enough that I have insight to offer into things specific to that front end setup, which is really the only thing that is different from a 4x4 of the same era. If you have an Edge (not saying you do) then there aren't even any differences, because the Edges used the 4x4 suspension.

I mean dropping a 5.0 into a 2wd Ranger isn't to different from dropping it into a 4x4. It is probably easier because you don't have to deal with all the issues related to the transfer case fitment and front driveshaft. All the rest of the swap, getting the engine/trans mounted up and wired is the same. Having a 2wd would open up more options for exhaust as well, as 4x4s have that front drive shaft to consider. I mean honestly, you probably have the easiest 5.0 swap out there, except for finding all the donor parts in the same vehicle, since even in the south 5.0 AWD was more common that 5.0 2wd. I'd find an Explorer, and just throw the whole power train in. You may need to try to get a trans from a 5.0 van, or a 2wd pickup, but other than that it should be really close to plug and play.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've got a 2wd 4R70W 5.0 trans under the porch behind my house if he wants to pick it up. I'd be happy to make a very reasonable deal just to get it off my list of things to deal with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals