TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll see what I can do. Should be heading over to U Pull and Pay within the next week or so.

Which axle and parts am I looking for? I know very little about Rangers built after 1992.

Edit: Nvm. Dana 35. I'll look ifni get rhe chance this week/weekend.
The beam is slightly different 95-97 vs earlier, the bumpstop for the knuckles is different because of the knuckle change for ‘95. Earlier can be made to work depend on how desperate Jim gets for a beam. I don’t think the shafts changed on a D35.

Last edited:

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 248EE46702D889 Expires: October 1, 2019

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2019
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Finally In My Possession!
I finally arrived at @bobbywalter house in northeast Pennsylvania on Monday August 19th.

trs-2_parts.JPG

I took some goodies with me. Since the winch Warn XD9000i winch was missing, I ordered a Smittybilt XRC 9,500 Winch to replace it. I also purchased a Nilight 42-Inch 240-Watt LED light bar, a pair of Nilight 4-Inch 36-Watt fog lights, a pair of Nilight 4-Inch 18-Watt flood lights (to go in the bed), a pair of Skyjacker M9555 front shocks and a pair of Skyjacker M9560 rear shocks.

I had also ordered this Ford 8.8-Inch axle truss, and had it shipped to Bobby's before I got there.

Once I got to Bobby's, the first thing to do was to access the condition of the Ranger, and determine what would need done, and what parts would need to be ordered.

The front Detroit Locker wasn't unlocking, and taking it apart revealed a busted side gear. I contacted the manufacturing and ordered a new one. I believe it was just over $80 for that side gear, and it had to be shipped from Mexico.

trs-2_broken_detroit.JPG

The drivers side front fender was cracked, and there would be nothing I could do about that right now.

trs-2_broken_fender-1.JPG

trs-2_broken_fender-2.JPG

The interior was a dirty mess, and the teeth on the recline lever were stripped causing the back of the seat to recline if any weight was put against it.

trs-2_interior.JPG

Bobby had already taken the front suspension out, dismantled it, and removed and dismantled the front locker. The front beams and suspension components were sent out to get blasted.

trs-2_return_front.JPG

At this point, I really wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into, and whether I had done the right thing buying the Ranger back. What made it worse was that I had no idea if the truck even ran, and couldn't drive it before we started working in it, so I just put my faith in Bobby when he assured me that it ran and drove.

trs-2_return_l-rear.JPG

The passenger side of the bed had some rust under a section of the red striping, and a few spots down on the rocker panel. The passenger side had a few small rust spots above the wheel well.

trs-2_wheels.JPG

I already knew that the tires were dry rotted, and someone had splattered red paint all over this truck, including the wheels.