• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 2000 Ranger Xlt Thread!!

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I made this thread, because i always come up with more and more questions, but i cant ever find them in search so instead of a new thread for every question, i made this to bump when i think of something i need to know or am looking for or whatever! I hope you guys dont mind. My name is Brandon, i just baught a black 2000 ranger xlt stepside last week with 112,000 miles on it for around $6500. Ill post pics when i get a chance to clean it up. I plan on a 3" body lift and 33's soon, a couple cosmetic upgrades, and ive already started on the audio system. I also have a 2002 Mazda Protege5 ive done some work to, ill post pics of that too. Anyways ive got hooked on this forum due to the interest in my ranger so i hope you all help me when its needed.

THANKS
Brandon

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Grills

are there any other grills that fit the 2000 ranger besides billit. i want somehting like the 2003+ stock, just a open honeycomb style grill instead of this chome grill???

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
anybody know of any grills to fit 2000 xlt?? help please

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Some guys have swapped out, with quite a bit of work, the front grille components from the newer 2001-up honeycomb grilles.

Be patient and someone with a better answer will be along shortly.

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, my truck came with the chome grill, i might have it painted black to match, i just dont like how it stands out so much. plus i want to go for a blacked out look so the chrome doesnt work.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
One option is a complete 01-03 grille swap. You will need the complete grille surround, grille, head lights, header panel, and possibly other parts. Your existing bumper would still work, but might look out of place.

Another option would be to paint your grille. Proper prep is a must here. Lightly sand the chrome grille and clean it with alcohol. I'd use an adhesion promoter.

If you are not good with paint, you can find dark gray and black XL grilles on eBay that will be an easier swap than an entire 01-03 front assembly.

Also, attaching some black painted mesh to the back of the grille will help you get the look you are after. You can find mesh at Home Depot or Lowes.

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
One option is a complete 01-03 grille swap. You will need the complete grille surround, grille, head lights, header panel, and possibly other parts. Your existing bumper would still work, but might look out of place.

Another option would be to paint your grille. Proper prep is a must here. Lightly sand the chrome grille and clean it with alcohol. I'd use an adhesion promoter.

If you are not good with paint, you can find dark gray and black XL grilles on eBay that will be an easier swap than an entire 01-03 front assembly.

Also, attaching some black painted mesh to the back of the grille will help you get the look you are after. You can find mesh at Home Depot or Lowes.
i might have to look into the 01-03 swap. i plan on changing the headlights anyways, plus the grill, so it might be possible to just do it all.

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
bump for more info

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
haha, i had to take my ranger back to the dealer yesterday to get the slipyoke greased and the ABS light fixed, learned on here that rangers are known to have bad sensors thats why the abs light was on? well after it spent the day at the dealer getting checked and the sensor replaced i went to pick it up and before getting a mile away from the dealer the ABS light came back on. So i turned around and headed back. when i got bad i said i got bad news....the abd light came back on and i want it fixed. So after that they gave me a 07 impala to drive until it got fixed. well today at 4pm i got a call from the dealer saying its going to cost $600 to fix it. Turned out it had a bad wire harness that cost $300 that they had to order which is taking 10 days and $300 for labor. I said wow thats y i told them i wasent signing the contract until everything was fixed. Good thing is they are paying for everything and i get to drive a 07 impala until its fixed.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If there's a wiring harness that can't be fixed (short of complete destruction), I've never seen it. I'd go to another dealership.

I would have asked for the parts back originally and when the sensor read OK I'd have gottem my original money back.

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If there's a wiring harness that can't be fixed (short of complete destruction), I've never seen it. I'd go to another dealership.

I would have asked for the parts back originally and when the sensor read OK I'd have gottem my original money back.
no, the ordered a new wire harness and put in a new sensor. i didnt pay a dime.

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got my ranger back yesterday, they replaced that sensor and the wire harness, total cost was $650 and i didnt pay a dime!!! it runs so much better now and im so glad its back. Now i get to start on my audio install.

anyways im going to wash it and clean it up tomorrow so ill get some pics posted!

Shift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think I might have to hijack this thread. I have a 2000 Ranger just like yours (black, xlt). I'll be coming back to this one to see what you've got going on.

RentonRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
are there any other grills that fit the 2000 ranger besides billit. i want somehting like the 2003+ stock, just a open honeycomb style grill instead of this chome grill???
Just saw this thread. Here's what I did with my '98. I dremeled off the horizontal crossbar and installed a grille insert from an '03.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
hey bkjt, where ya located?? I have a black honey comb grill and have been wanting to change it over to a chrome version. I was thinking of going to the dealer and buying the chromed grill for an '08, seen one the other day up there and almost stole it off the truck!! LOL! If your anywhere close to the greater Cleveland area in ohio maybe we could work somehting out. Let me know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals