• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 4.0ohv turbo build thread

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Are both the turbos the same? if they are why even bother with the tube connecting the two pipes together. Run one turbo for each side.

Ya Series won't do you much good. Looking forward to seeing the new piping.
Actually its called compound turbocharging its how some diesel engines are capable of 150+ psi (not that i need high boost) theoretically the boost threshold should have been lower. When you feed a turbocharger compressed air it dosent add boost it multiplys pressure ratios. Theres a special formula around to figure it all out. Most compound setups usually also compound the exhaust side (travels thru the first high pressure turbien then the low turbine) Compound turbocharging can work but I woudl have to make a quite few adjustments to get it going...I just like experimenting thats all.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm just asking if they are the same turbo trims, and why the need for the cross tube if they are.

I know how compound charging works I've delt with older DDC engines that have a turbo and SC on them. I've also delt with the Cat C13 that is compound charged with twin turbos.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
They are I was just playing around with it. There have been many compound turbo setups where both the turbos are the same trim. Today I just turned it into a standared conventional TT setup and the boost is coming on a little latter than I want. However i still habve some adjustments to make. I like experimenting with stuff thats why I compounded the compressors. If I cant get the fast spool liek the single setup. I may swap my t3s out for Te04h 13c's which have smaller turbines and a .38 ar exhaust scroll.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
How do you have all these turbos just laying around? I can't find any up here. Want to send a few my way for experiementing?

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Where are you at. I have a problem with shipping that I never get the time to ship anything. Have you checked craigslist?

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Yeah, they want over $200 for one in unknown condition up here. They never have any except off diesels and they want much much more for those. I have one off of a saab in my garage with the intercooler. I wish there was an easier way to do this without having to redo ALL of the exhaust. I still have to IM every 2 years which would require me to swap everything back to stock.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey couple questions for ya

1- what did you do for the oil return line?
2- What are you doing for a MAF?
3- Are you just swaping injectors and doing nothing else?

Thanks! I have a turbo from a 2.2 volvo just sitting here and I have been thinking about doing the same thing, just don't know what I need to do as far as fuel goes.

Any help please?

pearldrumbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Any help please?

I'm pretty sure he said earlier in the thread (or maybe his other thread) that he tapped the oil pan for oil return, still running stock MAF, and currently has only swapped the injectors....

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Any help please?
I have tapped the timing cover twice on the driver side right above the oil pan. Pulling thru the oem maf, stock ecu, 21lb injectors, no 02 feedback, its running lean as is. Im woprking on a fmu system currently.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, they want over $200 for one in unknown condition up here. They never have any except off diesels and they want much much more for those. I have one off of a saab in my garage with the intercooler. I wish there was an easier way to do this without having to redo ALL of the exhaust. I still have to IM every 2 years which would require me to swap everything back to stock.
If you build it to bolt up to the existing Y pipe you could easily bolt your exhaust back on.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I could do it that way but it would be mounted very low and after my crossover/before my cats. Thus, I'd have to build a cat delete. I'd like to keep them but I have to compromise. I don't think I'd have the frame clearance. Maybe I'll just put a supercharger on it. Turbo's are cooler though. This one is a street truck. Looks very similar to yours.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
You can keep your cats you just have to get creative. I didnt mean low mount the turbo. i meant bolt a flange to the originally Y pipe them run a single pipe from there snaked back up into the bay. ANd then a downpipe back down to some cats. You may even be able to pass emmmision with the turbo if its tuned right.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Well I did some re-routing. The sploder runs good now but boost comes on super late where its useless. i dont have enough energy to spool the turbos fast. I can hear the turbos but theres not spinnning fast enough to even get to max boost. Im going full compound as in Im also compounding the exhaust sides this should without a doubt get my spool back. It may be ineffecient for the upper range (maybe) but I want my wicked fast spool back and trying to do that with keeping both turbos. Theoretically compounding the turbos to make 5 psi would mean they would have to spin slower to create the same boost level. EIther way Im going to need an intercooler soon. Should actually be fun. When you compound boost you multiply it. Teh first compressor takes it to a certain pressure level then the next one multiplys the pressure ratio. Ill try and find the equation to figure this out if anyones curious.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Are you talking about running it off of 1 bank? I can't see how to keep my Y pipe without ditching the cats or mounting it REALLY far back which would require me to get rid of my muffler.

gstop2006

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im new to the rangerstation and im kinda confused so your sayin you can flip the stock exhaust manifolds and use them as turbo manifolds?? if its that easy would it be easy to fit one turbo on each side???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals