• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2553.jpeg

If anybody has one of these brackets that hold the cruise control canister in. I will buy it. They are riveted on and I do not have a batter powered drill to get the rivets out.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
View attachment 109978
Went to boneyard and got a passenger fender. 3 other fenders they had were no hood. Cleaning Cruiise Control steering wheel pad. View attachment 109979
Did not realize it was cut but to try to add factory cruise control it will work. I have found a video of a guy adding factory cruis control to an 86 F150. Hope it is close enough to work on a Ranger. View attachment 109980
Some hack butt cut the inner fender at the bone yard. I had to pay for the inner fender as the screws holding it on the fender will not break free. I am soaking them in penetrating oil. Ready to get this fender on and get a drivers fender so I can paint hopefully in a month or so.
I had to grind mine off with my dremel. Bought new clips and will get new fasteners when I’m ready to install. I’ll check my 91 and see if that bracket is the same as you have pictured. It’s yours for shipping if you want it.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is the bracket off the ‘91 2.9L. Let me know if you want it.
IMG_6955.jpeg

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I will take it. I have Paypal. Not sure how it works with going across the border. I will cover shipping and some extra. I go to the yards and you need something, I can always look for it down here. Just let me know. Our yards don't allow cutting tools in.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will take it. I have Paypal. Not sure how it works with going across the border. I will cover shipping and some extra. I go to the yards and you need something, I can always look for it down here. Just let me know. Our yards don't allow cutting tools in.
It cleaned up nice. All that oil protected it nicely. Lol. DM me your address and I’ll get you a shipping quote bud.
IMG_6993.jpeg
IMG_6992.jpeg

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome-0 That is a great looking bracket.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2575.jpeg

Parts are starting to stack up. I got my Condenser and Evaporator along with a passenger fender. I might be getting a drivers fender soon if it is great shape.
IMG_2572.jpeg

I practiced on my 88 Bronco 2 on seeing how to get Evaporator out. 10 screws and 2 nuts to get cover off.
IMG_2573.jpeg
IMG_2574.jpeg

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It is turning hot and muggy here in Missouri. I am biting the bullet and putting all new AC in this truck. Wednesday I am ordering a new compressor as a friend of mine has determeined mine is bad. I have a new dry/accumalator coming from Oriellys in the next day or so.

Waiting on a response for a drivers fender, and am getting a few supplies to hopefully finish the body work and then try to get some time off to tear truck down for a paint job. I want to take three days off from work to do all body work and paint on it. Still a couple of weeks out yet.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have the 12 gallon gas tank. Rockauto has a 17 gallon tank. Anybody try using it? I drive 350 miles a week round trip and have to fill up twice a week. I would like a bigger tank if it would fit. I wish I had the dual tank but electrical is my nemisis and dont think I could get it wired up correctly. As I understand the rear tank is just a Bronco 2 tank.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have the 12 gallon gas tank. Rockauto has a 17 gallon tank. Anybody try using it? I drive 350 miles a week round trip and have to fill up twice a week. I would like a bigger tank if it would fit. I wish I had the dual tank but electrical is my nemisis and dont think I could get it wired up correctly. As I understand the rear tank is just a Bronco 2 tank.
My impression was that the fuel tanks have always been 17 or more gallons. I guess not. If the cab and bed configuration they list is correct, along with the wheel base length, it should fit.

As far as the second tank, they were about 13 gallons. A BII tank will fit in that space but it will poke down below the frame some and be exposed to potential impacts. That is more of an off road concern than an on road one. If I remember correctly, the BII tank is 23 gallons. Plus, you will have to find a place to put the spare if you put in the second tank.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, some of the early tanks were pretty small and they all had their own little quirks with filler neck placement and such... Likely the easiest to find and fit would be a '89 to like 94ish 16 gallon tank from a regular cab Ranger, they were standard size by then, the extended cab had up to a 20ish gallon capacity which my '97 has conveniently, if in the right time of year on a road trip I could probably almost squeeze out 500 miles but 400 is safer...

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
New AC won’t disappoint. I just put new AC components in my Explorer. As for the fuel tanks, look into a plastic one from a 4.0 powered extended cab. They are way bigger than the steel tanks in my 87 and 88 extended cab trucks. Both those latter tanks are different sizes like you posted, but the 88 is a short box. Before I did my cab swap and was leaning on swapping the drivetrain stuff and the tank and decided rightly so that it was easier to just swap the cab in my instance.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello sgtsandman.. I remember changing my fuel pump and was surprised at how clean the tank was. I'm betting it was replaced with a regular tank. I was in the bone yard and they had an extended cab and it does look to be a bigger tank. If I ever see a dual tank ranger in the yard I want to see how they did the spare and extra tank.

Hello There are some 89-92 trucks in the yard, I will compare and see if those tanks are in great shape. I would rather have a plastic tank. 200 miles to a tank of gas can be really close to making it to the next gas station in some parts of the country.

Hello awsom-O... Probably next weekend before I get all of the components to finish up my AC. It has been a little rough the past few days here with the humidity and we have not even gotten started in the heat. I'm thinking previous owner just stuck a standard tank in.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2583.jpeg

I finally got my fender on. I have found other fenders, but they were damaged beyond my ability to repair. I am planning on ordering an aftermarket fender. One looks to be great quality with all factory holes. I will pass on brand when i get it.
IMG_2585.jpeg

Slowly getting all the fittings loosened and removed so when I do go install it will be quicker or so I hope. Won’t be this coming weekend as I am going out of town. Following weekend, I hope.
IMG_2586.jpeg

I used this before on other trucks and here is when I was done 
IMG_2584.jpeg

Here is the Before picture. It does not show the scratches in it, and it is dusty, but it does turn out nice when done.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Hello sgtsandman.. I remember changing my fuel pump and was surprised at how clean the tank was. I'm betting it was replaced with a regular tank. I was in the bone yard and they had an extended cab and it does look to be a bigger tank. If I ever see a dual tank ranger in the yard I want to see how they did the spare and extra tank.

Hello There are some 89-92 trucks in the yard, I will compare and see if those tanks are in great shape. I would rather have a plastic tank. 200 miles to a tank of gas can be really close to making it to the next gas station in some parts of the country.

Hello awsom-O... Probably next weekend before I get all of the components to finish up my AC. It has been a little rough the past few days here with the humidity and we have not even gotten started in the heat. I'm thinking previous owner just stuck a standard tank in.
Finding a second tank that is in good shape is going to be a miracle find. They are metal tanks and being they are mounted behind the axle, caught everything the tires kicked up, rusting them out. I would still take a look at how they are installed since it will be good information on whatever you come up with in the future. Who knows, you might even luck out and find a tank in good shape. If nothing else, they would provide a parts truck for the filler door and filler neck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals