• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91 Ranger the stRanger

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
in your particular situation, you may have had it nailed, or tuning may have netted a few more mpg at steady hi-way cruise. i have never seen tuning not net gains in one area or another, but i have seen it where the gains were not justifiable against the cost of the tuning. i know if i was getting 18 mpg with 35 in tires at 65-70 mph i sure as fawk would not change a thing and be glad i got that damn lucky.
Luck has nothing to do with it. Making sure all systems were operating as designed had everything to do with it.Building a fairly stock motor designed to work within stock Ford program functions insured a great running combo.

At 6mpg there is obviously something amiss in his setup.Chances are good its something very simple like a TPS reading out of range,an O2 sensor not feeding back correctly or at all,timing to retarded or a bad ECT sensor. All basic things that paying for a dyno tune would render useless. Im just suggesting before he pays for a dyno tune he spends an afternoon checking all the basics {because most dyno shops wont} and making sure everything is operating 100% correctly before dropping $300-400 on a shop tune to only end up where it should have been to begin with. I would guess at least double the MPG is possible in his Ranger with current parts.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
yeah....it will eat fuel....and make heat like your not used to.

takes a long time to get tired of feeding them due to the smile the noise pedel puts on your face.

tuning is paramount. exhaust tuning as well.

but i would go to an aod before a c4....fawking c4's were too easy for me to murder and sucked at triple digit speeds.

What computer and harness are you using ?

I have seen people mix up using a batch fire ecm with a harness that came off a ESFI vehicle and vise versa..

When I swapped{in a efi 5.0 into my old bronco2 I used a harness from a non HO 5.0 87 t-bird that was batch fire{only 2 wires firing half the injectors} and converted to ESFI {8 firing injectors} to work with a 90 Lincoln LSC speed density ESFI 5.0 HO ecm.

With a c4,35" tires and 3.73 gears I was getting 18mpg on the highway and about 14-15 around town. No joke.

If timing,fuel pressure,tps setting and oxygen sensors are good I really dont see the need for a "dyno tune".

It's a a9l mustang computer and painless harness to run MAF and sefi. It has a sct chip I ordered online with a base tune to account for the displacement, injectors, MAF, egr delete etc. it's definitely running rich and the online tune can only get so close to account for my mods. Pretty much everything from the air filter to the exhaust tip is different and not stock, hence the necessity for a dyno tune. I would expect at least 12 mph with a good tune.

And hind sight 20/20 I would rather have and aod for the overdrive. But this c4 when I first bought it was a God deal. Then it broke and it was more cost effective to rebuild it rather than get a different tranny and make it work in my setup (would require manual VB, header mod, crossmember mod, driveshaft mod, t case mod)

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the codes and see what turns up. Might be something you can do...

SVT

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Pull the codes and see what turns up. Might be something you can do...

SVT

Yeah I'll try that. The light for the CEL isn't on so maybe I'll check the stored faults

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Luck has nothing to do with it. Making sure all systems were operating as designed had everything to do with it.Building a fairly stock motor designed to work within stock Ford program functions insured a great running combo.

At 6mpg there is obviously something amiss in his setup.Chances are good its something very simple like a TPS reading out of range,an O2 sensor not feeding back correctly or at all,timing to retarded or a bad ECT sensor. All basic things that paying for a dyno tune would render useless. Im just suggesting before he pays for a dyno tune he spends an afternoon checking all the basics {because most dyno shops wont} and making sure everything is operating 100% correctly before dropping $300-400 on a shop tune to only end up where it should have been to begin with. I would guess at least double the MPG is possible in his Ranger with current parts.
well, i am taking for granted he coded it and checked his closed and open loop parameters. so i have to give you that much. if the basics are shit, the tuner is gonna be pissed and bump you and your wallet.

i completely understand he could have some wrong or non functioning signals which could be quick fixes that could easily get it to the teens driving conservatively. even if the o2's are simply too far out of the fire, it will kill mpg. thats why hi flow cats can actually help, especially with true duals...the heat range is better. but thats all in tuning. sometimes tuning is mechanical...like exaust/cam degrees ect... these things are usually only seen on the rollers clear enough to make the right decisions..

but, seriously...luck does have allot to do with it. and sorry if you dont understand that. the stock programming leaves a hell of allot on the table for specific operations. the oem programming is the jack of all trades.

if a guy is happy with oem ford eec4 pushrod power....fine. working within that can be done mechanically with gearing, cam selection, and injectors to get close....i am very familiar with the combinations.

but take a perfectly running oem truck brand new off the assembly line, roll down the road to a shop and add 6-8 inches of lift and 35 in tires and then go ripping around wot....as nutless as it would be....hey, touching single digits in mpg is what the result would be...8-9-10 mpg is reasonable.. nursing it....12 would be great. 14-15 hiway would be awesome.

in his case, as built, according to whats been stated and shown in pictures, a canned tune can work pretty good...but a dyno tune would be ideal.

if he had a bone stock 351 and a sane crossed over exhaust, then a b100 style maf sefi 351 system from a van or late bronco would be ideal.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Any progress?

Nothing yet. Moving out to the westside ok true 15th so I'll be busy with that for a couple weeks. The holidays and looking for a place to move ate up a bunch of time. I should have updates next weekend because I have a 5 day weekend just for the truck.

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Nothing yet. Moving out to the westside ok true 15th so I'll be busy with that for a couple weeks. The holidays and looking for a place to move ate up a bunch of time. I should have updates next weekend because I have a 5 day weekend just for the truck.
If you need a hand let me know.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well Iv'e been busy the past couple days getting stuff done. I had an issue with the doubler kicking out of high range at any speed over 5 mph. Called up behemoth drivetrain and he said about 10% of the initial batch he made had this issue. Sent me a redesigned shift rail right away. I swapped that out and that has seemed to cure the problem.

Here is my HF tranny jack with an adapter I made to bolt onto the doubler support so I can lift and lower the entire assembly out of the truck. It reaches high enough that I don't have to lower the truck any either.

Then I had some death wobble caused by me reaming the pitman arm to far for the chevy TREs a long time ago. Swapped that out. Also I put on a new power steering pump to fix the leaky old one, and I put on some f-250 shock towers because I don't like the duff ones that came with the coil buckets. No pics of that mess though.

My jerry can got stolen out of the back of the truck the other night. It was locked up but they used a crowbar and bent the **** out of smitty built carrier and took it. They tried stealing the spare tire too, but I think they got spooked because they only got the strap half undone. So my project now is relocating the spare over the fuel tank and making a locking holder for that too. Pics to follow.

Plans left for the truck is to get this thing dyno tuned and get a front driveshaft someday. It just seems to be one thing after another keeping this from being back to driveable again.

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Wtf! Thieving bastards! At least it was only the jerry can. If u need any help I'm not to far away! I need to wheel with a fellow ranger and not these jeeps! I'm ready to go. Im going to start dd mine to work the bugs out. Do u know of a good place to get a rear dshaft made and balanced for a decent price? The homemade one shakes the crap outa the truck above 55.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well I finally finished moving and settled in and started messing around with this again. I found out my shifter wasn't a reverse pattern like I thought and bought a new shift gate hopefully that fixes my shift flare issue in 2 to 3. I made a locking spare tire carrier on the back of my tube bed.

I'm in the middle of making some catch cans for my tranny and t case so it stops puking fluids every time I drive it.

Here's a little test paint I did for when I repaint this thing someday when I work the bugs out and get 4x4

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Looks like Lapis blue.lol.

Sent from my XT907 using Crapatalk

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Looks like Lapis blue.lol.

Sent from my XT907 using Crapatalk

I'm not sure what that is, sounds fancy though lol. It's rust oleum metallic blue lol

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Looks good! Glad to see your back at it!

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Really nice thread.. and beautiful truck and workmanship.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals