• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91 Street Turbo Ranger Build!

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually, I do have something for an update, but not a good one. A some point this winter, my wife was in the garage hanging up some christmas stuff for the year. She was up on our ladder, and leaned to hang one of the bags up, and fell off the ladder. She kicked the ladder into the passanger window, breaking it, and gouging the door up pretty good in the process. She stove her ribs up pretty bad in the process too. She felt soooo bad for hurting my truck too, cause she knows how much I love it.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
dude that sucks!

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dude that sucks!
Yea, worst part will be getting the paint to match again cause its a custom color. At least the local store is the one that painted it, but I know how hard it can be to get stuff to match stuff like this.

Gonna try and clean out the garage this week so i can get better acess to the engines. Gotta finish drilling the holes in the brackets for the ac and power steering so I can swap them to the merk motor.

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: Its been almost a year since I posted here last, and boy has alot happened!! Im getting divorced, got kicked out of my house and have been fighting like crazy to see my two girls since i have a very nasty soon-to-be-x-wife that decided to try and make my life miserable by hiding my own kids on me. But, the ranger has a bit of hope!!!!

Today i went to my old house and gutted the ranger and the two engines out of my garage. Tomorrow at 9am im heading over with a flatbed and towing everything over to my dads auto repair shop, and the swap is getting finished!!! Im wicked excited!! The header and turbo are mounted together finally, with some bracing needing to be re-welded still, and then swap my mounts for the accessories over, and drop her in! Once the swap is finished, i have to tackle the wiring, which im not really looking forward to, but its gotta be done! Atleast I have a large vam and nice ecm to put in there too! Ill be sure to grab as many pics i can for everyone while its going in too. Hopefully in a week or two, ill be posting burnout videos!!! Lol

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I would have kicked her to the curb the day she did that to my truck haha only kidding

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would have kicked her to the curb the day she did that to my truck haha only kidding
Lol! Well lucky for her it was an accident! She has put a few minor scratches on her from throwing crap into the garage, but no more! It saw sunshine today for the first time in almost a year and a half, that was pretty rewarding let me tell ya!

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: Got the truck and two engines hauled over to the shop today. Boy is it nice to see it outside!! Didn't get anything done on it as I had my other truck pulled in to replace a bad u-joint and rear brake lines. One step closer though!

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here she is sitting outside for the first time in a few years!

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude Sorry bout the X but glad to see you are still working on the truck! If you were close I'd give you a window.. I have 2 extras.. truck looks good sitting there though!!

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so here's an update for you guys.

I bought a center mount header a while ago in hopes to free the exhaust up some and also let me keep my AC and either reduce or eliminate the need to modify my heater box. Well, after setting the turbo onto the tube header, i noticed a problem....

The turbo outlet and exhaust outlet was trying to route itself through the side of the block, and obviously, thats not going to work all that well. After looking at a couple of options (fabricating a 90 degree elbow, clocking the turbo, which would only work for the cold side) the tube header had to be scrapped for now in favor of the stock header. So after pulling the turbo off and swapping it back to the stock one, we noticed the stock one was cracked pretty badly. So out comes the welder for some repair work.

Next was the job of pulling of the exhaust outlet to replace the 3 broken bolts in it. That turned into fixing 5 broken bolts as after 20 years of heat cycling those bolts, they were pretty much dust when you put any pressure on them. Then it was 4 days of drilling with dull bits, broken taps and a bunch of torch work just to get some holes to put bolts in.

Then, were about done drilling and tapping, and my dad asks me why were wasting out time on a junk turbo. Im like wth??? And shows me this....

Great!!! To pretty decent cracks to deal with. Luckily after some cutting wheel work, we found the end of the cracks and was able to weld her back up.

I cleaned the two surfaces up and put a few coats of high temp header paint in between the two to help seal it up, and the turbo was finally ready to be bolted to the block like so...

So i finished plumbing the rest of engine to the turbo, or as much of it as i could while its on the engine stand. So thats how it sits today, in the last pic, waiting to be taken off the engine stand. I have to put it on the hoist so i can put the clutch on, and finish making some new coolant lines to replace some crimped ones.

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Almost forgot a few things! I ordered two new motor mounts as one pretty much fell off when i nicked it, and the other one i could almost rip out with 2 or 3 fingers. $55 later and 2 new mounts are here and ready to be put in. I also completely removed the AC compressor, radiator, condenser, and the heater box guts to completely remove all traces of the factory AC. It all came apart pretty well, except for the 2 little screws on the bottom of the heater box, cause they are damn near impossible to get to. I left the main radiator out so i can flush it out as the factory engine was pumping some nasty stuff out of it. All i have left to do is cut the exhaust flange off so i can have a piece made to hook up the turbo down pipe to the rest of the system, then replace the motor mounts, and its ready to be dropped in. So hopefully when i work on it more this coming week, it will atleast be in onc big piece, instead of many smaller ones! Lol. Then that just leaves the fun part, the wiring!!! Not looking forward to that at all!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Looking forward to seeing this in your truck.

jesse93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i want a xr4ti so bad....i had one in high school but it was a turd

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Working on re-pinning my harness now. Motor isn't in yet as we haven't had room in the shop to pull it in yet. So looks like next week we will set it in. Waiting for a tool for the harness so i don't break any more tabs off, got one broke already.

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to hear man I went through some drama and made it through, theirs light at the tunnel just gotta be patient :p workin on my swap now and buying bits and pieces. I already ordered my mounts and pick up the engine next week and ordered a gasket set to reseal it before it goes in. Did you resurface your flywheel or get a new one? I was looking at the Light weight ones on Esslinger engineering? dunno if I spelled it right but w/e. looking foward to updates :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals