• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My bronco ii started on its own

Rabbos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
1988 ford bronco ii eddie Bauer 4x4 2.9 cologne
So i just left autozone for a part for my van, and i tried to start my bronco, but the battery seemed dead, so i pull out my battery jumper, and it comes on, but its making a horrible noise, so i turn off the ignition and take out the keys, and it stays on, still making the horrible noise. It eventually turn off, but like 5 minutes later while I’m inspecting the engine bay, it try’s to turn on again, keys out of the ignition, shuts off. I’m super confused about it, i got it on and working again as soon as my buddy shows up, no issue, so i drive down the street, hit a bump and it starts making a noise as if the starter is stuck, i park and pull out the key, and it STILL is running making this god awful sound, till i hear a hard thunk and it shuts off. Then i get nothing, but power, no turn over, I buy a new battery(which i needed anyway)checked all the fuses, still nothing. Thinking my starter just broke, i jumper the starter solenoid, and the engine starts to turn over, change that out, doesnt start till i battery jump it. Why and how do i prevent it from starting on its own, these past couple weeks its been struggling to start, as if the battery is drained when it used to fire up right away

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the starter motor was running while engine was running, that's the noise, so plan on a new starter regardless

And replace the starter relay on the inner fender, called starter solenoid by some

You were saying it didn't "shut off" with key off and out, if starter relay was stuck closed then engine would just keep on spinning from start motor being on, its not "running" just spinning
With key off there is no spark or fuel injectors, and dash lights would all be off
If dash lights stayed on then your ignition switch, under steering column, may be bad as well

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive seen them do that with a bad battery before.

Its kinda freaky.

Check the little "S" wire on the solenoid. Make sure its clean, tight, and has juice

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
And do take a close look at your ignition switch (the electrical part).

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Had a similar issue on my old 85 F250. It would just try to start itself at random with the ignition off. I had to leave it parked in neutral all the time, very annoying. It was a bad starter solenoid and it took a couple tries to get a good one at the parts store - several of them were bad in the box.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals