• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My dream pickup...

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
I have been having this thing about having a big pickup since I was 10. This truck is what I have been researching for a very long time and here it is. My dream pickup is a 1996 ford f-250 XLT 7.3l Powerstroke turbo diesel. What I want it to have is a extended cab, long box with a 5 speed manual or automatic transmission 4WD. The reason I am so inspired to have a powerstroke is because my uncle has one and he uses it as a ranch/farm truck. It has about 550k miles on it right now and still going strong as ever!

I want one because they are very good on performance. They could pull a 40 foot gooseneck fully loaded with bales of hay with no problem. An another thing why I want a powerstroke is because my uncle challenged a cummins that was lifted, had an upgraded turbo, upgraded injectors, Bully dog tuner, cold air intake, and stage 3 ATS transmission. Well my uncles being a farm truck, it was completely stock and no mods were added. Powerstroke vs. Cummins tug a war. Powerstroke instantly smoked the cummins and destroyed his big ATS transmission that was only a week old.

That Is why I love these powerstrokes. They could not have any mods and still pull a cummins with no problems. These 7.3l are the best. I like all the other ones but the 6.0l. The 6.0l is a really good engine, but there is one thing in it that makes it fail all the time. The factory oil cooler is a FAIL. All of them just suck. Another thing why I like the 7.3l is the mods being added. if you added a MBRP 4' turbo back exhaust to it, it sounds sick! A tuner from BDS diesel performance would also make it sound and work better!

So here it is. Here is a picture of the truck I am after for:

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
my buddy has one that his dad bought him with over 30k under the hood and lifted 9 inches weld on not bolt on and with 44in ss he can be going 30 and still rost em and get this.... his dad got it for 6k since he gets vehicles for extremely cheap somehow

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My one roommate in college looked at one EXACTLY like that, down to the paint.

It turned out to be a piece of crap and the dealership selling it was a bunch of shysters. He found a leaking brake line, and they were so invested in their story of the truck being perfect that they refused to fix it even if he paid to have it fixed.

This story isn't really relevant since that truck had been beat on and poorly maintained, I just felt like telling it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
7.3's are awesome.. not the most economical of motors in the mileage department but hey, they are reliable and stout.

I like that body style with the crew cab...

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
my buddy has one that his dad bought him with over 30k under the hood and lifted 9 inches weld on not bolt on and with 44in ss he can be going 30 and still rost em and get this.... his dad got it for 6k since he gets vehicles for extremely cheap somehow
Wow. I wish I could get a powerstroke that cheap. Not very often you find a good cheap powerstroke!

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
My one roommate in college looked at one EXACTLY like that, down to the paint.

It turned out to be a piece of crap and the dealership selling it was a bunch of shysters. He found a leaking brake line, and they were so invested in their story of the truck being perfect that they refused to fix it even if he paid to have it fixed.

This story isn't really relevant since that truck had been beat on and poorly maintained, I just felt like telling it.
If you have the wrong people selling you the product, your gonna end up with a piece of crap. unfortunately, some people just don't know how to take care of things, like a nice powerstroke. I wish some people would have some common sense these days and do their job.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have been having this thing about having a big pickup since I was 10. This truck is what I have been researching for a very long time and here it is. My dream pickup is a 1996 ford f-250 XLT 7.3l Powerstroke turbo diesel. What I want it to have is a extended cab, long box with a 5 speed manual or automatic transmission 4WD. The reason I am so inspired to have a powerstroke is because my uncle has one and he uses it as a ranch/farm truck. It has about 550k miles on it right now and still going strong as ever!

I want one because they are very good on performance. They could pull a 40 foot gooseneck fully loaded with bales of hay with no problem. An another thing why I want a powerstroke is because my uncle challenged a cummins that was lifted, had an upgraded turbo, upgraded injectors, Bully dog tuner, cold air intake, and stage 3 ATS transmission. Well my uncles being a farm truck, it was completely stock and no mods were added. Powerstroke vs. Cummins tug a war. Powerstroke instantly smoked the cummins and destroyed his big ATS transmission that was only a week old.

That Is why I love these powerstrokes. They could not have any mods and still pull a cummins with no problems. These 7.3l are the best. I like all the other ones but the 6.0l. The 6.0l is a really good engine, but there is one thing in it that makes it fail all the time. The factory oil cooler is a FAIL. All of them just suck. Another thing why I like the 7.3l is the mods being added. if you added a MBRP 4' turbo back exhaust to it, it sounds sick! A tuner from BDS diesel performance would also make it sound and work better!

As a daily driver? Hope you got a lot of money for fuel then. I had a few friends who had these (96-98) and got rid of them after a few years. Cost them too much to own. When they needed to haul something for a long distance it was fine (horses and equipment). You buy something used expect it to breakdown on you know and then. Remember to factor in money for that expense before you buy something like this.

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
7.3's are awesome.. not the most economical of motors in the mileage department but hey, they are reliable and stout.

I like that body style with the crew cab...
Yep, I don't like the mileage, but they are far better than the 5.9 cummins and 6.6 duramax. The OBS (Old Body Style) is the best looking pickup in ford. I just wish they make the 7.3ls again!

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
I always wanted the F350 4X4 long wheelbase crew cab with duallys...But like Straycat said.... With diesel here being $4.25 per gallon fuel consumption is the killer issue also they aren't so easy to maneuver in city traffic.

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual

As a daily driver? Hope you got a lot of money for fuel then. I had a few friends who had these (96-98) and got rid of them after a few years. Cost them too much to own. When they needed to haul something for a long distance it was fine (horses and equipment). You buy something used expect it to breakdown on you know and then. Remember to factor in money for that expense before you buy something like this.
I farm for a living so I would use it for farm work. Hauling an empty grain cart is a good example what I'll be using a powerstroke for. But during day time i'll use it for work and night time can be play time. I will add mods to it eventually.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, I don't like the mileage, but they are far better than the 5.9 cummins and 6.6 duramax. The OBS (Old Body Style) is the best looking pickup in ford. I just wish they make the 7.3ls again!
you mean better MPG's than the 5.9? no...
I love the Cummins motors, I do... I just hate what surrounds them:annoyed:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The later 5.9 Cummins will tie a 7.3 in a knot, I suspect the 6.6 would as well.

The 7.3 was kind of a dog stock, modified they are ok but they struggle against a 6.0 (it is EGR cooler BTW) the 6.4 is a 7.3 beatin' down machine and the 6.7 is no contest. Delete the EGR, put in headstuds and the 6.0 can be a terror.

Bumper to bumper is a pathetic way to compare trucks, it is all about weight and hitch point. I have done that with tractors and the "wrong" tractor wins too often. Put them both in the field and a lot of times the "tug o war champ" can't stay within gunshot of the loser... Either get a sled to bring it all down even steven or better yet a trailer, a hill and a stopwatch.

I farm for a living so I would use it for farm work.
You may want to farm eventually but I bet you are in high school or not far from it at the moment. Just the by way you type...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Tug O War... has a lot to do with driver skill....

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
you mean better MPG's than the 5.9?

No lol I meant that 5.9l DOES have better MPG. The 12 valve has better MBG tho than the 24 valve. I just like powerstroke because they perform better and very reliable. I like cummins, but not dodge

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
The later 5.9 Cummins will tie a 7.3 in a knot, I suspect the 6.6 would as well.

The 7.3 was kind of a dog stock, modified they are ok but they struggle against a 6.0 (it is EGR cooler BTW) the 6.4 is a 7.3 beatin' down machine and the 6.7 is no contest. Delete the EGR, put in headstuds and the 6.0 can be a terror.

Bumper to bumper is a pathetic way to compare trucks, it is all about weight and hitch point. I have done that with tractors and the "wrong" tractor wins too often. Put them both in the field and a lot of times the "tug o war champ" can't stay within gunshot of the loser... Either get a sled to bring it all down even steven or better yet a trailer, a hill and a stopwatch.

You may want to farm eventually but I bet you are in high school or not far from it at the moment. Just the by way you type...
I forgot it was the EGR cooler lol I had a friend that had a 6.0l and his oil cooler failed. At least that's what I thought I heard out of him lol.
I like all powerstrokes. They all are beast and they are reliable. But the 7.3l is one of the best I prefer. It may be an old engine, but they could last for a long time if you take good care of it. I think they are a good beginners diesel pickup for a 17 year old like me. I would drive any powerstroke any day, but 7.3l is just the one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals