• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My idea of a Shelby Ranger if there would have been one.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
and now those same people are wishing they had bought them, watch one go across the auction block for 3.5 million.

Robert

sent with a seagull and a roll-aids tablet.
agreed

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have been watching your build and it looks awesome. It rekindled the fire for me to start on my ranger again. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thank you Sir! Start up a build thread so I and others can steal some ideas!!

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Idea was to build a truck based on how Shelby would have approved it for mass production not a one off.. Not to mention in 1990 Ford didn't build a 427 or 289. The 4.6 wasn't around till a year later offered only in a Linclon.. With that said If you look back in my first few posts that is the reason I went with the 4.0... It was the biggest, baddest engine offered in a Ranger by Ford at the time. Someone said Shelby put 318s in his Shelby Dakota... No he didn't Dodge did. The Dakota was the First smaller truck with a V8 from the factory. Some even came with a 360 at one point and no I'm not refering to the RT. Because the 318 was used in so many vehicles (full size trucks, Dakotas, vans, Jeeps a few cars..) They ran out of 318s and were hard to get. So with that said many a Dakota had a v8 not just the Shelby and also is also the frist and only factory convertible truck ever produced by a US auto builder. I worked for a Chevy Dealer that sold Dodge products and worked on them in the late 80s.. Also worked for a Dodge Dealer from the early 90s on... If Shelby would have yanked out engines to replace with V8s and changed Transmissions I think the Shelby Ranger would have been priced way out of reach... Not to mention I don't think he ever pulled an engine from any of his mass produced Mustangs back in the day... Remember a 20** Stang wasn't thought about in 1990.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
My Idea was to build a truck based on how Shelby would have approved it for mass production not a one off.. Not to mention in 1990 Ford didn't build a 427 or 289. The 4.6 was around I think but wasn't offered in any Ford trucks or Mustangs.. With that said If you look back in my first few posts that is the reason I went with the 4.0... It was the biggest, baddest engine offered in a Ranger by Ford at the time. Someone said Shelby put 318s in his Shelby Dakota... No he didn't Dodge did. The Dakota was the First smaller truck with a V8 from the factory. Some even came with a 360 at one point and no I'm not refering to the RT. Because the 318 was used in so many vehicles (full size trucks, Dakotas, vans, Jeeps a few cars..) They ran out of 318s and were hard to get. So with that said many a Dakota had a v8 not just the Shelby and also is also the frist and only factory convertible truck ever produced by a US auto builder. I worked for a Chevy Dealer that sold Dodge products and worked on them in the late 80s.. Also worked for a Dodge Dealer from the early 90s on... If Shelby would have yanked out engines to replace with V8s and changed Transmissions I think the Shelby Ranger would have been priced way out of reach... Not to mention I don't think he ever pulled an engine from any of his mass produced Mustangs back in the day... Remember a 20** Stang wasn't thought about in 1990.
So what you're saying is he would have put a supercharger on the 4.0l.... :D.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what you're saying is he would have put a supercharger on the 4.0l.... :D.
Yes! And so would if I could find one of the old Vortec S/C that was made for the 4.0... My dream is to walk around a Pull a Part JY and find one in a Ranger or Explorer for the taking!!!!

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, Shelby did install the V8s. They left the Dodge factory with V6s and were converted at Shelby's workshop. The Shelby V8 Dakotas started in 1989. Dodge didn't do a factory 318 Dakota until 1991 (which was a new bodystyle)... which rendered the Shelby conversions pointless.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually, Shelby did install the V8s. They left the Dodge factory with V6s and were converted at Shelby's workshop. The Shelby V8 Dakotas started in 1989. Dodge didn't do a factory 318 Dakota until 1991 (which was a new bodystyle)... which rendered the Shelby conversions pointless.
Hmm Maybe.. but I can tell you I worked on a covertible Dakota with a 318 in it in either 1989 or very early 90.. I also have seen 6 1992 Dodge Ram trucks with a V10 in them from the factory... So with Dodge who knows.... I still doubt he would have pulled the 4.0 for 1 more liter when there were super chargers that could have easily put the 4.0's HP closer to the 225 HP of the 302. Even the torque on the 4.0 is pretty impressive bone stock.. Not to mention I have street raced a full size Bronco with a V8, a F150 with a v8 and a 89 Mustang GT back when I had the 3:43 rear and won all three and in my 89 Ranger with the same 4.0 I am running in this truck.. (It was a top end race) on a highway... A mechanic friend said I have the fastet 4.0 he has ever seen... I nor he doesn't know why.. It was bone stock when he said it that we know of anyway.. Now that brings us to this truck.. With the impressive power my 4.0 puts out gave me the idea of the Ranger GT style truck.. Only I took it a step further and added Shelby in the mix. I think my Ranger is by far more fun to drive than the 2004 Mustang GT I had....

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I was referencing Wikipedia for the information and we all know how accurate that is. Here's what I was basing my post on.

Shelby Dakota - Wikipedia
The Shelby Dakota started with a short-wheelbase, short-bed, standard-cab pickup. The 3.9 L V6 was removed in favor of the company's 5.2 L V8 with throttle-body injection. On paper, the swap looked simple since both engines were similar, but the tight space in the Dakota's engine compartment meant removing the engine-driven fan in front and using electric ones instead. Removing the belt-driven fan increased the stock 5.2L V8's output by 5 hp (3.7 kW) up (to 175 hp) but torque was 270 ft·lbf (370 N·m).
1989 saw the unusual Dakota convertible. The first American convertible pickup since the Ford Model A, it featured a fixed roll bar and an uncomplicated manual top. Roughly 2,482 were sold that first year. Another important addition that year was Carroll Shelby's V8-powered Shelby Dakota, his first rear-wheel drive vehicle in two decades.

The Second Generation Dakota Was Introduced in 1991, the front of the Dakota received a new grille and hood which extended the engine compartment to better fit the optional 170 hp (127 kW) 5.2 L V8, which was inspired by the earlier Shelby Dakota V8 option.

Engines
  • 1987-1988 - 2.2 L (135 cu in) K I4, SOHC, 97 hp (72 kW)
  • 1987-1991 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) LA V6, 125 hp (93 kW)
  • 1989-1995 - 2.5 L (150 cu in) K I4, 99 hp (74 kW)
  • 1991 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) LA V8, 170 hp (130 kW)
  • 1992-1993 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 180 hp (130 kW)
  • 1992-1993 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 230 hp (170 kW)
  • 1994-1996 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 175 hp (130 kW)
  • 1994-1996 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
  • 1996 - 1996 2.5 L (150 cu in) AMC I4, 120 hp (89 kW)
So based on what I am seeing removing the stock V6 for a V8 that is ~1 liter larger in displacement is exactly what he did, though from what I've read elsewhere his 318 option wasn't exactly a factory 318 either. Wasn't your truck originally a 2.3 though? So I guess you've already met the requirement of (at least) 1 liter larger and 2 additional cylinders.

I think you are right though, he wouldn't have removed a 4.0L V6 for a 1 liter larger V8. He would have removed it for a ~2 liter larger V8, AKA 315 Windsor, and like suggested about the 318 I doubt it would have been stock.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So based on what I am seeing removing the stock V6 for a V8 that is ~1 liter larger in displacement is exactly what he did, though from what I've read elsewhere his 318 option wasn't exactly a factory 318 either. Wasn't your truck originally a 2.3 though? So I guess you've already met the requirement of (at least) 1 liter larger and 2 additional cylinders.

I think you are right though, he wouldn't have removed a 4.0L V6 for a 1 liter larger V8. He would have removed it for a ~2 liter larger V8, AKA 315 Windsor, and like suggested about the 318 I doubt it would have been stock.
It did have a 2.3 from the factory... As I said Mine has a ton of power and it seems to run very similar to my first experience with a Mustang GT. A 1984. It has also been compared to driving a 1977 Trans Am 6.6 from a Torque stand point... The torque is awesome through 3rd gear. 4th is still pulling but not as strong.. OD still pulls but it's not bad for OD. All this with a 3.08 and added weight of a custom tailgate and hitch plus bigger wheels and tires than I use to run. Now with a 3.43 rear it pulled strong all the way through OD. In fact playing with Mustangs from 55-60 MPH I could just press the throttle and be gone while they had to down shift to fourth to pull... To even add more to how well the 4.0 performs.. Mine has over 100,000 miles on it and still I'd drive it anywhere... Not to mention I did what I could afford... I have less than 4 grand in the whole build... I'd be willing to bet with a 3.73 in it It would have a ton of tourque... Personally I like the fuel milage so it is what it is.... One day I'll probably put a 5.0 only when I find a complete Explorer with one that I can buy and enough cash to build the engine from the ground up....

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey wasn't meaning to cut down your 4.0L. Heck the power jump from the 2.3L is probably what Shelby got with the first Cobras. The question was if Shelby would have liked the idea. Yes I think he would have, but I also think he would have wanted a bigger motor. I honestly think he would have installed a 302 or 351, though the supercharger on the 4.0 as you mentioned could have happened as well. Hey it's your truck, you build it the way you want. If you get tired of it I'm sure you can do just as good of a job on what ever motor you decide to put in it's place.

Not to mention I did what I could afford... I have less than 4 grand in the whole build... I'd be willing to bet with a 3.73 in it It would have a ton of tourque... Personally I like the fuel milage so it is what it is.... One day I'll probably put a 5.0 only when I find a complete Explorer with one that I can buy and enough cash to build the engine from the ground up....
I understand that. If I could have afforded it I wouldn't have started with a complete Explorer though. I eventually want to swap to manual and the 5.0 explorer didn't come with one. I would have used a stroked Explorer engine mated to Mustang EFI and a TKO transmission. The Explorer EFI setup is doable (I'm in the middle of it) but the Mustang EFI is a lot easier to install. As for my build, at the rate I am going I think I'll be at $4000 before the truck is even driveable. I'm almost at $2000 already, that's the 86 project truck, the 99 explorer donor, the Mach wheels w/tires, and the big brake kit (still need the brake components). Shouldn't have much left to buy but what is left will cost, definitely won't have it driving and painted for $4000.

To even add more to how well the 4.0 performs.. Mine has over 100,000 miles on it and still I'd drive it anywhere...
My 4.0 (in the 99) has 175K on it and I'd still drive it to... the junkyard. That's mine though and since I didn't get it until 90K, with a lot of hidden problems, who knows what happened to it before it became mine. At this point it's a dog and seems about wore out, so that may be biasing my opinion to the negative. If I replace the motor in this thing I doubt it would be another 4.0L, I'll probably find another totaled Explorer V8 with AWD to swap in. I have a feeling the 4.0 is going to get replaced with a 390 FE, unfortunately for the Ranger I don't feel like making it fit.

Last edited:

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
$4k total!? That's amazing. You would puke at how many multiples of that I have blown on mine.

Last edited:

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
$4k total!? That's amazing. You would puke at how many multiples of that I have blown on mine.
Yep 4k total... Remember though I did all the Body and paint work. The color, clear and everything it took to do the bodywork was donated. The spray in bedliner was donated.. And I shopped for the absolute rock bottom price before I bought anything.. The most expensive things I bought for it was the tires.. I also Got a pass at a JY for the day to get anything I wanted for free.
Sometimes it's even who you know or who you know, knows.. My buddy knew someone and was able to get the brand new windsheild and installion for 75 bucks.. That's the basics on how I was able to do it for cheap...

Ebay rocks for getting parts for a good price....

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey wasn't meaning to cut down your 4.0L. Heck the power jump from the 2.3L is probably what Shelby got with the first Cobras. The question was if Shelby would have liked the idea. Yes I think he would have, but I also think he would have wanted a bigger motor. I honestly think he would have installed a 302 or 351, though the supercharger on the 4.0 as you mentioned could have happened as well. Hey it's your truck, you build it the way you want. If you get tired of it I'm sure you can do just as good of a job on what ever motor you decide to put in it's place.
I didn't think you were... I'm just saying for me the only thing I'm missing is the sweet sound a 5 litre has.. The engine I have may not even stock as I bought it used in a totaled 92 Ranger. It had 80k when I bought it.. As I said I have a buddy that had worked on a lot of 4.0s and he said he had never seen one that put out the power mine did... It would be cool to have a v8 but for now the 6 does the job... If I keep it I'll probably wind up putting a V8 in it if I can get some help from some TRS buddies for a few weekends.. :icon_cheers:

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey Multi, just read through your thread after seeing it as STOTM. Amazing job and thanks for posting everything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals