• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My motor swap

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
eggzakly--oil pump, pick-up tube, gasket---you'd probably take less time pulling the engine back out & doing all that instead of laying on the concrete with ur arms all knotted up trying to put it together with a flashlight duct-taped to the side of your head cause you just accidentlly crushed the drop-light(not that i've ever done that myself) EDIT: Never mind--you splained it before i could hit the reply button---anybody know anything bout his torque converter nuts(my '93 came w/nuts)

Last edited:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well i have to pull it rigth back out to finish cleang the firewall and finish yanking out the AC crap. im just trying to get my tranny member in place and my motor mount holes done. then itll be easy to put in and take it out
I see.

83bagged

January 2010 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well it come with nuts... but when i took them off they were VERY badly worn out... so i didnt wanna use them. frank sent my other pickup tube, so i should have it soon

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
they said that the nuts were 3/8 NF? 3/8 national fine?

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
a 3/8 N.C. nut would have about 5 threads inside & a 3/8 N.F. would have uh-hmm about 9 smaller-looking threads in it:icon_thumby:

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well its gotta be the NF one then. they are tiney man.

im trying to mark where i need to drill for my motor mounts right now, ive been looking at where people have drilled and cant find any pics yet! :(

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Don't worry about where the others drilled. Get the motor/trans where you want it to be (typically as low and far back as you can) and get it centered between the fender edges, not the frame rails. Also centered in line from front to rear of the engine compartment with the transmission tailshaft pointed toward the pinion of the rearend. Then mark where the mount studs are touching the X-member. Lift everything back out and using a center punch, mark a point about 1/2" below the marks where the studs were touching, this allows for the movement downward of the mounts the distance of the stud length. Drill the stud holes, then bolt the mounts down. I then afterward drilled two more 3/8" holes per mount, using the existing holes in the mounts as guides. Then thru-bolted these holes with 3/8 bolts and lock nuts. To finish this jobs, also get a length of 7/16"NC threaded rod and cut four 2" long studs to insert into the motor mount holes in the block, retained with lock nuts. These are easier to stab into the mount holes than are bolts. If and when you pull the engine, leave the mounts in place

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is it possible to run oe of those 2" oil pressure gauges with the oil tem gauge in your cluster?

and also i was thinking of maybe swapping for a electric water pump. but how would i mount my alt with these brackets for v belt?

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok wires....

that voltage regulator will go away, i guess that i can just clip off the wires in the harness and be fine? the green plug that is unplugged is what im worrying about. the other two that come out of the firewall that are plugged up are to the neutral safety switch and the rear lights i believe. and the ignition box will be staying since i am running a duraspark dist. (i have a new ignition box, will upgrade later)

this green one.

ok now this is where the ignition module box or whatever plugs up. and the two ring terminals went to the coil.

and then A CRAP LOAD of stupid sensors to the smog and vaccum crap.

now what all can i cut off and not worry about? i have a hayhnes manual but its hard for me to understand

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
is it possible to run oe of those 2" oil pressure gauges with the oil tem gauge in your cluster?

and also i was thinking of maybe swapping for a electric water pump. but how would i mount my alt with these brackets for v belt?
You can run both gauge typs by using a "T" down at the oil pressure port. I've done the same with the temp gauges too. As for the electric waterpump, that's not a good idea. Most are made for 1/4 mile running. As for the wiring mess, you're on your own kid ! :D I went the simple route using a points distributor fitted with a Crane XR-1 unit. Two wires to hook up. And a third that went back to the fuel pump, by way of the impact switch on the passenger side floor board.

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can run both gauge typs by using a "T" down at the oil pressure port. I've done the same with the temp gauges too. As for the electric waterpump, that's not a good idea. Most are made for 1/4 mile running. As for the wiring mess, you're on your own kid ! :D I went the simple route using a points distributor fitted with a Crane XR-1 unit. Two wires to hook up. And a third that went back to the fuel pump, by way of the impact switch on the passenger side floor board.
yea i figured out the t fitting. thanks dude, oh and thanks for those torque nuts bro!

on a c4 tranny the lever that shifts, all the way back towards the tailshaft is park, correct?

ok and on the wire. i have my starter wired, i can turn the key and it kicks on and off perfectly! i took ALOT of time and did it right alos. heat shrink, solder, braided covering... run right and clamped down, looks VERY good.

i have the ignition box figured out, it just plugs right in... and theres one wire coming from that green plug that goes to the coil, i guess thats the only one i have to keep? i dont have any of those other sensors or crap

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Adjust the transmission linkage starting with Neutral.(this according to my transmission guy) Park is all the way back, if the transmission linkage lever is on top(floor shift model), all the way forward if it's on bottom (column shift).

83bagged

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
rightm ok well i was just making sure.

ok now what all plugs do i need to keep? i only see one that comes from that green plug to the coil, the rest go to random sensors and crap...
any ideas?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I tucked the wiring I didn't use up and out of the way on mine. Not knowing at that time if I'd ever need the stuff later on, I figured to let sleeping dogs lie. That was 8 years ago.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals