• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My New House & Workshop

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Of course, a basement costs more than a slab. So there is that.
But costs significantly less than a second story. Basements seem to be rare here in SC, also, even though water table isn't an issue in most of the state.

As someone who has done a lot of residential electrical work and other renovations, I HATE crawlspaces.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
But costs significantly less than a second story. Basements seem to be rare here in SC, also, even though water table isn't an issue in most of the state.

As someone who has done a lot of residential electrical work and other renovations, I HATE crawlspaces.
I would rather have the basement. Attic storage damages too much stuff do to the heat. The addition to my house has a crawl space and I avoid going in there if at all possible.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
A properly constructed basement is a beautiful thing.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The house I grew up in had a finished basement. My last house had an office in the basement, and the one before that had a basement with a large train table and and an area for my kids to play.

I've never had a basement flood.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The house I own now has a basement that’s never had any kind of water issues in the 75 years since it was built.
We’re in the process of buy a second house with a fully finished basement that’s never had any water issues, has a normal sized staircase, and has a drop ceiling to access the plumbing.

C8B7FED2-0F4B-4C35-92E5-93B226712D80.jpeg

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I've had both basements and crawl spaces. I prefer the former. But as Robert42 said, getting stuff up and down that staircase can sometimes be an issue.
Now though, as I get older, any staircase can be an issue - depending on how my knees feel. :p
A big-ass ranch with a full size deeper basement - and an elevator - would be my next choice.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
"Properly constructed" basement is the key word. If you have a older home like I do, they did not necessarily know what that meant back in the day, and you can get water and also the walls pushing in. All avoidable with the proper construction techniques, which are usually code now days.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
"Properly constructed" basement is the key word. If you have a older home like I do, they did not necessarily know what that meant back in the day, and you can get water and also the walls pushing in. All avoidable with the proper construction techniques, which are usually code now days.

I've only had basements that were dug out in the 1800's so, not so great.

Suppose I wouldn't mind having a modern basement with ICF walls and all that fun stuff.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A lot of the old houses here built on slabs are in terrible shape. There is one part of town where almost all of them were built like that in the early 50's... I've been in a bunch of them and it's almost a guarantee that the slab will be cracked, buckled, or split somewhere. Garages are usually in horrible shape.

Modern concrete helps a lot with that, I did some work in one in February a couple years ago while it was under construction. One level, about 1600 sq/ft and they were keeping the entire house at 60 degrees with just a little electric space heater in the kitchen. They are crazy efficient - lots of insulation.

My house was built in '53 and has a shallow basement under half of it and a crawlspace under the rest. I hate them both. The crawlspace is just nasty and the basement has had water in it a few times from really hard rains or the sump pump failing. Also the floor on the crawlspace side stays really cold. I like the extra space in the basement but if I was building a new place, it would be on a slab.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
My first house had a crawlspace and the land/foundation were not prepped properly. The Red clay, I believe is termed "expansive" meaning it expands with water and contracts when dry. The whole foundation was shifting and cracking due to this. If it had been dug deeper, to get below the level where the moisture content changed so radically, it probably would have survived better. More or heavier rebar would have been good, also. Cheap builder = poor construction.

Or, better yet, dig down and build a basement and put proper French drain around it to prevent the ground from expanding and pushing the basement walls.

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Just a thought, on a tangent, probably for the younger folks, might bring a smile or a nod from the older folks.

When you get to my age, there’s a different reason you might want a house on a slab with an attic you can’t access. We accumulate all this stuff we think we can’t live without, and when we don’t use it every day, it ends up in the basement or in the attic. I’m as guilty as it comes.

In 1998 I was hit by the Dunwoody tornado. All the stuff in the attic got crushed when the roof caved in. It took forever to get it out and over to the dumpster.

If you’ve got something in a cardboard box, and you’re at the top of the stairs to the basement, or the bottom of the stairs to the attic, take a left to take it out to the curb!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Just a thought, on a tangent, probably for the younger folks, might bring a smile or a nod from the older folks.

When you get to my age, there’s a different reason you might want a house on a slab with an attic you can’t access. We accumulate all this stuff we think we can’t live without, and when we don’t use it every day, it ends up in the basement or in the attic. I’m as guilty as it comes.

In 1998 I was hit by the Dunwoody tornado. All the stuff in the attic got crushed when the roof caved in. It took forever to get it out and over to the dumpster.

If you’ve got something in a cardboard box, and you’re at the top of the stairs to the basement, or the bottom of the stairs to the attic, take a left to take it out to the curb!
I have no idea what you're talking about :icon_thumby:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I've always thought a house built into the side a hill with a basement garage would be the way to go. A little slope to the floor and water retention isn't an issue anymore. Doublewide stairs also makes sense. Of course nobody build houses like that cause of cost.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I've always thought a house built into the side a hill with a basement garage would be the way to go. A little slope to the floor and water retention isn't an issue anymore. Doublewide stairs also makes sense. Of course nobody build houses like that cause of cost.
Try to avoid building a basement with something that looks like a shop or a door big enough to drive in a vehicle. A guy I work with ran into this when he was building his house. He found out his house insurance would almost double if he left that big opening in the basement. He quickly filled it in to a regular personnel door size to avoid paying the big insurance premiums.

Not for sure, but I bet a attached garage might make your insurance higher also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals