• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My new toy

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I have had the bug lately to go Autocross racing. They do it locally at War Memorial Stadium 's parking lot. After a good month of searching I found a clean roller almost ready for a drive train and the track.

My end goal for this car is for it to be a daily driver/weekend warrior with 100,000 mile reliability. Realistic HP goal is 400 but I would love to be surprised by 500 cheap hp. Which brings up the last goal this is a shoestring build so I need to keep costs down without cutting corners.

What did I find? A 91 Mustang LX Convertible Factory 4banger car that had previously had a Buick 455 and 400 turbo in it. Yes I know a convertible is a poor choice for maximum performance. I would just hate to make this car so fast it drove right past the ladies :yahoo:

Last edited:

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been debating what way to go with the drive train. For one I was told the rear end was spooled so I need to address that and have yet to climb under it to determine if it is a 4 cylinder rear or not or if it is a mini or a full spool or what. I may have a spool for sell.

2nd what motor? Don't shoot me for this and please notice there are now 3 Fords in my driveway. I love the LS1. I whish I had the 4k to buy one and a t56 and the other 1-2k it would take to install it. One of my biggest reasons for liking them is they are so light weight at 608lbs fully dressed and dry. I have seen claims however that a 5.0 and t5 only weight I think it was 545lbs but am not sure how dressed that was.

I have even entertained the idea of a ricer turbo motor. The sr20det (AKA Skyline motor) only weight 445lbs with its rear drive tranny dressed with the turbo on. That is super light! The problem with the sr20det is they put one in a Mustang in one of the Fast and Furious movies and I don't think I could live with myself if I followed a trend from one of those fake movies (though very entertaining don't get me wrong I love to play the F&F drinking game {Take a drink everytime a BS car thing happens like shifting 20 gears in a 1/4 mile drag [bet you don't make it 30 min in.]})

Any way all said and done I think I will, for budget reasons, look for a wrecked 5.0 5 speed car and freshen and cam the motor unless I find a smoking deal else were.

From there I want to use a tubular k member, add subframe conectors, strut braces and a good cage. Followed up with springs shocks and wheels and tires and I think I will have a nice ride.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You used cheap, power and reliability in the same paragraph lol. That being said, with what you want to do, handling is more important than outright power so keeping the front end weight down would be a good thing. I think the best compromise would be a turbo 2.3.

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
See I don't buy it but I saw when I was researching engine weights I saw those little things weighed close to 700lbs with their associated turbo. I would like to find a more realistic number on that engine tranny weight.

Either way I am not familiar enough with those engines to know how much power I can add to it or how cost effective adding power would be. I mean I can use a 5.0 with a cam and headers for dirt cheap and yes still be reiliable, while I may not be at my 400hp goal I have riden in enough 5.0 stangs to know I would be happy with that power. Like you said I am more concerned with handling than outright power.

That said are the 2.3s that upgradable? I sure am not seeing many of those cars available as turbo stangs but haven't looked hard either. I am sure not avoiding doing the 2.3 turbo thing but I definitely need more info on them before I do.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
There are a bunch of guys on here running 2.3 turbo's in rangers, I would think the info should carry over to the stang.

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are folks doing about transmission and modded turbo 2.3 liters? I know the 2.3 trans is supposed to have a lower 1st gear which can sometimes mean weaker 1st gear does that seem to be a problem?

My Explorer has had a noisy lifter going on 3 years now. I have thought about buying a 2wd RBV with a 4.0 and 5 speed to put the motor in my explorer and the trans in my stang. I could then rebuild the motor currently in my explorer for the stang or find a 5.0 to put in it. Would that trans hold up to a 5.0? Anyone got a clue as to 4.0 weight?

Anyway I am off to the salvage yard to get a few parts for the F-150 (Seat, window switch and tail light) and see if I can find a doner.

coral191

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I live in Little Rock...

and I've seen those auto crosses at WMS. I'm no expert, but IMHO...Put your money into suspension/handling, brakes, & TIRES...a lot of power isn't needed from what I can tell-you'll probably be in 2nd gear most of the time, which can help keep a turbo spooled up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals