• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mystery 7.5 axle

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
So I picked up a really cheap 1998 Ranger that has an interesting rear axle in it. The guy I got it from originally wanted to buy one of my spare 7.5's because he had broken whatever was in it, but ended up buying one from elsewhere. The story I got was that he went through somewhere around 4 axles in a matter of a few months. I have no idea how or why or any details, but needless to say it did not have the correct gear ratio when I got it.

So I just happened to have the spare axle on hand (from a '91) and swapped it into the truck. It fits and works perfectly.

The weird thing about the axle that came with it is that the spring perches are almost 2" further apart than they should be for a Ranger. The PO said that he had to use a hi-lift jack to spread the leaf springs apart in order to get the axle bolted in!

So what could this have come out of? It is missing the tag and other identifying information, but it is definitely a Ford 7.5. It has an ABS sensor on it, and the "new" style drum brake hardware, the cable for example has the little box and spring thing which would be right for a '98 instead of the old style straight cable. It also has the large pattern pinion flange. I doubt he swapped brake hardware into it because everything was rusted together into a big mess - the rear brakes didn't work and probably haven't been taken apart in many years.

It is just confusing the hell out of me because I am not aware of any vehicles that this axle would even fit in, and it definitely does not fit the Ranger, at least not very well.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
Bronco 2, same axle different width at the frame.
Now the details I am unclear about.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Bronco II was my guess too, the brake components were what confused me. I don't know how the new style hardware ended up in there, I guess it's possible that someone just had it on hand years ago and used it. Seems easier to just use the right parts than cobble something together but that's just me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals