• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted Need 03-04 M5R1 Manual trans with manual transfer case

03Level2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 Level II
Transmission
Manual
I have an 03 FX4 Level 2 with a manual trans and manual transfer case. The transfer case adapter is cracked badly and I cannot find a replacement anywhere. Unfortunately this is a part that is specific to the 03-04 FX4 Level 2 with manual transfer case because the adapter has both the bosses to mount the transfer case linkage as well as the OSS sensor mounting hole. Earlier rangers with manual transmissions and manual transfer cases do not have the OSS mount. Only the 01+ 4.0 SOHC required an OSS but unfortunately Ford used a separate adapter for trucks with the electronic shift transfer case that does not include the linkage mounting bosses. I will buy a whole trans or just the adapter. Does anybody have one available?

The trans tag should read: 1L54-MA

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
can you post a pic of the OSS mounting hole?
I'm gathering info for future shenanigans.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
There is supposed to be a way to make a bracket for an electronic shift adaptor to convert it to manual shift adaptor. Look in The Ranger Station tech library under transfer cases and M50DR1-HD Transfer Case Shift Lever Bracket. Not a lot of detail is given but it shows the basics. Looks like a lot of measuring and fabrication but it is an option.

You could get lucky and find one but not likely. I tried to get a remanufactured transmission for the manual shift transfer case. Zumbrota had it listed but did not have it. I asked if they could remanufacture mine and they said no. The shop supervisor said he would not touch one. I don't know why because the transmission is the same as the electronic shift transfer case transmission except for the adaptor.

I ended up getting the regular M50DR1-HD transmission and exchanging the adaptors. It worked fine.

Have you considered welding the crack or is it beyond repair? I have seen some weld repairs that seemed impossible. It just takes finding the right person to weld it.

Last edited:

03Level2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 Level II
Transmission
Manual
Thanks gw33gp, that certainly looks doable. Might be my best option. Don't know why I didn't consider this. I am a decent fabricator/welder. I do plan to see if I can get it repaired but I wanted to try and find one first because I didn't want to take it apart then find out it couldn't be repaired and have the truck taking up my lift while I figured out what to do.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ya dude…. Good luck 👍🏻 I mean that

03Level2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 Level II
Transmission
Manual
Ya dude…. Good luck 👍🏻 I mean that
I am going with the build a bracket option. Picking up an 1L54-HB (electronic shift trxfer case) this afternoon from a local yard. Then I'll see if I can get the old one welded.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I am going with the build a bracket option. Picking up an 1L54-HB (electronic shift trxfer case) this afternoon from a local yard. Then I'll see if I can get the old one welded.
Good idea. Include pics if you don’t mind… I would like to see how you do it….

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
If you do the bracket method, it would be good to keep records of what you do. It would be a good addition to the tech library. The article on it leaves out a lot of details.

03Level2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 Level II
Transmission
Manual
So did similar to the bracket in the tech library but I added an extra support on the front using one of the unused factory bolts with studs as a mount. Pretty pleased with how it came out and it works great. All with scrap metal I already had. Just had to purchase the bolts to weld to it (the large pivot shaft uses a less common thread but both are standard not metric.)
20240104_002103.jpg
20240103_183248.jpg
20231227_014112.jpg

20231227_014102.jpg
20231220_151645.jpg

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"

03Level2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 Level II
Transmission
Manual
Note: The OSS is a little higher on the non manual xfer case trans and has a 90 degree connector. The original is lower and used a straight connector. I used the angled one from the "new" (to me) trans but I think the straight would've cleared the bracket too.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@Jim Oaks

You may want to grab some of this info to update the Tech Library article.

03Level2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 Level II
Transmission
Manual
@Jim Oaks

You may want to grab some of this info to update the Tech Library article.
What's the best way to update that article? I had an original manual transfer case adapter to work with and measure. I did take measurements on where the linkage mounting holes need to be for someone who doesn't have anything to measure from because without an original to compare to how would you know where to put them. I measured everything in relation to the trans mount pad and transfer case flange.

For example:
1) Height of the bosses measured from center of the trans mount bolt hole.
2) Distance from trans mount pad face to hole centerlines.
3) Distance of each hole from the face of the case flange.
Those 3 measurements are critical to locate the face of the bracket and linkage mounting holes in space.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why couldn't you use the gasket for laying it out?

03Level2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 Level II
Transmission
Manual
Why couldn't you use the gasket for laying it out?
I was talking about the holes to attach the linkage to the bracket not the holes for mounting the bracket. If you don't have a transfer case adapter with the bosses you have no way to know where to put the bracket or the holes in the bracket for the linkage? If you do have one then you don't need the bracket unless you are like me and your xsfer case adapter is broken.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals