• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need 86-88 short box single cab 4x4 gas tank

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
All of my research shows so far that this fuel tank is just simply not available, has anyone found one recently?

Specifically a 15.2 gallon tank for a 108" wheelbase 4x4 truck. The 17 gallon 2wd tank apparently will not work.

I don't remember my tank being rusty at all when I pulled it and replaced the sending unit 4 years ago but suddenly I have found myself with a rather large leak and needing a replacement.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i strongly suggest a plastic b2 tank.

i think i have used the ext cab tank in a lwb before though...the big plastic tank dont work bet the steel 17 can...

had to make custom straps though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thought about the B2 tank but it would require relocating my spare tire and bed space is at a premium in a short box truck. I may have to use the 17 gallon tank for the 2wd truck if all else fails.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would like to follow up on this a little:

My instinct after finding that these tanks are in fact, unobtanium, was to JB weld the holes or the whole surface if possible. This turned out to be a waste of time as the plastic shield on the front of my tank was really the only thing holding it together... the tank is literally collapsing there and it's just junk.

So I compared it to a 1988 extended cab short box front tank - this one is damn near identical except for the sending unit location (bummer.) It bolts in using my straps and clears literally everything - although it's longer, it's still a couple inches from the transfer case.

I then checked new tanks - Spectra Premium F20C (SCSB 2wd) and F20D (ECSB.) Both are 50-3/4" long. The extended cab tank is actually longer than my extended cab tank and presumably bigger, oddly enough. But it appears that I just might be able to sneak the 2wd SCSB tank into my truck, BECAUSE, I have a manual transfer case. If I had an electric shift one, the tank would have major clearance issues with the shift motor.

So I went ahead and ordered the F20C tank and we will see how it fits. Fingers crossed it will be a close fit or require maybe folding the pinch weld up and denting in the tank a bit, no big deal there.

In any case, this is potentially really good news for some of us, and those with electric shift t-cases are still without good options. I will continue to update this thread once I try the part.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Good news: the 2wd short box tank fits!

I had to bend the pinch weld up to clear one spot on the t-case, but it's otherwise a perfect fit. My sending unit, straps, etc were all reused from the old tank.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just for comparison here are the three tanks I had, you can see the similarities. I will grab a pic of the spot I modified on the new tank when I have a chance.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The shop looks clean & congrats on searching/finding proper gas tank :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals