• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need general wiring help

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys, I'm in mid 5.0 swap, got the motor back from the man. Gonna run an edelbrock avs carb, had one in the past and it worked good. Gonna go efi in the future. Anyways I'm going to run an elect fuel pump, and need help with wiring. I want it to come on with the key like factory electrical pumps. The ignition is duraspark. What wire do I tap into for it to come on with the key like factory? Rig is an 85. Also the factory harness was stripped when I did the d-spark swap back when I ran the 2.8. So I'm wondering how do I wire in the electric choke for the carb? Is there a special wiring kit I need? If not what wires do I need to tap? I'm so close to getting everything in, and wiring isn't my strongpoint. Thanks guys!

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
you really need a repair manual for your year vehicle that has a WIRING diagram in the back of the book....then you find the color of the wire that goes to the oem factory fuel pump & splice into it (you DON"T want the oem pump to operate because it puts out way too much pressure!).

same thing for the electric choke(don't splice into the wires that supply voltage to the distributor)....find another wire under the hood that gets 12v only when the ignition switch is turned to the run position---when the key is in any other position, the electric choke should not be getting any voltage...

that's all I got.....

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have an oem electric pump or pump wiring. My rig had the 2.8 carbd with mech pump

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
O.K. you still have to find a wire that is hot when the engine is running(the electric choke will short out if it is connected to an accessory wire because it needs airflow from the running engine to keep it from overheating....

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Red and light green is usually the color. Run a separate relay off that to power your fuel pumps - that power wire should be fused as close to the battery as you can. Stock EFI has an initial prime and does not run continuously. I can think of a way to build a device that does that, but it would be a little work and programming.

Buy the diagram like doorgunner stated. $15 dollars for a used EVTM will answer any wiring question you have as soon as you need an answer for it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You do not want to run the pump with the ignition circuit or any electric motor for that matter you want to run the coil and module from the red/lt green on the connector. I am not sure if there are two ignition circuits coming from the key but from the connectors you are not using check for key on hot. and then see if it is hot in accessory position. They keep the fuel pumps and fan motors separate from the ignition the electric motors use voltage different and will burn up module. I just checked my ignition and the blower motor is key on hot just run a wire from the fused side of the blower motor to the fuel pump that way your protected.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals