• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help BAD!

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 88 ranger 2.9 v6. i just put on new heads due to the crack one had, who would guess. when i first started tearing it down i first started by unpluging some conectors to get some wirein out of the way, i started unpluging some stuff and remembered i didnt unhook the bat, so i did. well i have every thing back to gether git in the truck to start it so i can time the thing , i turn the key and i dont hear my fuel pump primein, and i dont have any spark to the plugs. it does turn over. i have checked every thing i unpluged 2-3 times and i dont know what the hell. i left all fuel lines in tact, any one have any info im over looking. thanks mike:dunno::annoyed:

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try resetting the fuel pump inertia switch which is inside the cab. It's a long shot but it may have received a jolt while you were replacing the heads.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i looked at it and the reset button is down, so i think its ok. should the reset button be poped up or down after you reset it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
It should be down.

Is there power going to the switch?
Power going to the pump?
Power at the relay?

Also, did you hook up the grounds for the computer, at the battery? usually two black wires going into one, should connect to the negative terminal.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
BB2 has a good point, check that there is power going to the pump and ignition.... if there is not then you might check all the fuses (any inline???) to make sure they are ok...

the main reason you unplug the battery is so you don't throw codes when you disconnect everything... not frying the electical system.

course I can't be sure what other accidental things could have happened.... I think it's more of a crossed connector or just crusty wiring that got moved and cracked into an open connection (no longer a solid wire, it has a crack preventing current from flowing though). If there is no power at the pump then you know you have electrical issues.

the spark could be simply a bad PIP or ignition control module... where as the pump could be the ECM.

before buying a new ECM take it to a shop to have thrown on their diagnostic machine.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
all my grounds are good, i used a test light and im not getting power to the coil. and the fuel pump im getting power in to the fuel relay. all my fuses are good, i went through the conecters again and i didnt leave any thing out and you cant hook them up wrong , the conectors are all different. so im thinkin its in the wirring. i just dont get it, i drove the truck in to the shop unpluged some stuff and now have all these probs.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it sucks i dont know how to read wirein diagrams.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals