• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help getting my speedo to work: 06’ FX4 level ll with a 5.0 out of 99’ Explorer

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
Just like the title says I need some input on getting the Speedometer to work. I did the 5 L swap then I decided to swap out the cluster with one out of a 2003 ranger because it has the sweeping gauges and not just dummy lights. The factory gauges had two 20 pin connectors and the 2003 had three connectors one was a 16 pin and one was a 12 pin and the other was a 10 pin so I just match the functions up the best I could and soldered the wires together. Well I got everything back together on the truck and the gauges and tach work correctly, except the speedometer/odometer is not working. I hooked up the Pin# 5 VSS gry/blk on the truck harness plug-in C220A to the Pin# 1 SPEED INPUT gry/blk on the explorer harness C287. And I hooked all the other wires up that accommodate the earlier cluster speedometer like the ground, constant power wire and the hot in run or start wire yet it still don’t work. 2krngr has a thread on here where he did the same thing and everything worked including the Speedometer/odometer but I haven’t heard from him sincè September 10th. Any input you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated! TIA

PS: the factory gauge cluster would not work correctly, the temperature gauge was calibrated differently and the tach was off also because it was for a 6 cylinder.

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
An update: since nobody seemed very eager to chime in I converted my Ranger to the 99 Explorer ABS system. To do that I had to get an adapter for one of the brake lines to screw into the ABS and I had to use the short lines from the ABS to the MC because they screw into the ABS in a different location than the ranger did. I swapped the ABS and the bracket. Then came the time consuming part, I had to solder the 25 pin plug-in + 3 wires for the G-Force sensor in place of the stock ranger 28 pin connector and tap into the gry/blk VSS wire in the C110/C115 plug-in #7 pin and splice the #19 pin gry/blk into it. I got a schematic of the ABS wire functions for both rigs, I couldn’t believe it though, just about all of the wires were color coated the same. There were a few that were different but that’s why I had the schematics. My truck already had the holes drilled for it from the factory. It’s like it was meant for a V8 😂😂. I then extended the wires all the way up to the ABS pump and soldered them to the corresponding existing wires for the G switch that are color coated the same also.

The first two pictures are the original ABS pump in the third picture is the explorer ABS pump installed on the Ranger, you can see that little fitting I had to put on that one brake line I got the part number for that fitting I’ll get it and add it on the thread.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So you used the 4WABS for the SPEED signal(Pin 16, grey/black wire out) like Explorers did?

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
I used the PIN #19 gry/blk VSS OUT. Pin #16 is Dk Grn and is the ABS indicator on the instrument cluster.

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
The first one is the Explorer and the second one is the Ranger diagram

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But it worked right?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Probably a dumb question, but did you make sure the little plastic worm gear on the motor that drives the speedometer on the gauge cluster isn’t destroyed? Apparently it’s a problem, I haven’t had one detonate yet, but I have a new spare on hand because I just had to replace one in a family friend’s truck that fragged.

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
But it worked right?
Yes everything on the truck works like it supposed to, the cruise control and everything, etc.. The only thing I’m having a problem with is the dome light. The only time it works like it supposed to is when the key is on, when the key is off, the dome light comes on and stays on till it times out.

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
Probably a dumb question, but did you make sure the little plastic worm gear on the motor that drives the speedometer on the gauge cluster isn’t destroyed? Apparently it’s a problem, I haven’t had one detonate yet, but I have a new spare on hand because I just had to replace one in a family friend’s truck that fragged.
It wasn’t that kind of issue I was having. I stated my issue in my post.

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
An update: since nobody seemed very eager to chime in I converted my Ranger to the 99 Explorer ABS system. To do that I had to get an adapter for one of the brake lines to screw into the ABS and I had to use the short lines from the ABS to the MC because they screw into the ABS in a different location than the ranger did. I swapped the ABS and the bracket. Then came the time consuming part, I had to solder the 25 pin plug-in + 3 wires for the G-Force sensor in place of the stock ranger 28 pin connector and tap into the gry/blk VSS wire in the C110/C115 plug-in #7 pin and splice the #19 pin gry/blk into it. I got a schematic of the ABS wire functions for both rigs, I couldn’t believe it though, just about all of the wires were color coated the same. There were a few that were different but that’s why I had the schematics. My truck already had the holes drilled for it from the factory. It’s like it was meant for a V8 😂😂. I then extended the wires all the way up to the ABS pump and soldered them to the corresponding existing wires for the G switch that are color coated the same also.

The first two pictures are the original ABS pump in the third picture is the explorer ABS pump installed on the Ranger, you can see that little fitting I had to put on that one brake line I got the part number for that fitting I’ll get it and add it on the thread.
Here is the part number of the fitting that I used to adapt a brake line in the picture below

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes everything on the truck works like it supposed to, the cruise control and everything, etc.. The only thing I’m having a problem with is the dome light. The only time it works like it supposed to is when the key is on, when the key is off, the dome light comes on and stays on till it times out.
In a 2006 Ranger that would be the SJB doing that
Unfortunately the relays are not easily serviceable but it might not be a relay issue

Interior light relay is on the left in diagram, relays are shown in OFF position
Both 5 pole relay coils have 12v full time, the SJB grounds the coils to change positions

The SJB is turning on the interior light relay which it should only do when a door is open, this powers the dome light from Battery saver relay being ON
Door closed turns OFF the interior light relay
But dome light could still be powered on manually via Dimmer Wheel when interior light relay is OFF until Battery saver relay times out/turns OFF

But if Dimmer wheel was on then Dome light should be on all the time even when driving
Which its not

It is odd

Attachments

Profive.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 level ll
Transmission
Automatic
In a 2006 Ranger that would be the SJB doing that
Unfortunately the relays are not easily serviceable but it might not be a relay issue

Interior light relay is on the left in diagram, relays are shown in OFF position
Both 5 pole relay coils have 12v full time, the SJB grounds the coils to change positions

The SJB is turning on the interior light relay which it should only do when a door is open, this powers the dome light from Battery saver relay being ON
Door closed turns OFF the interior light relay
But dome light could still be powered on manually via Dimmer Wheel when interior light relay is OFF until Battery saver relay times out/turns OFF

But if Dimmer wheel was on then Dome light should be on all the time even when driving
Which its not

It is odd
Your attachment doesn’t show up/it won’t load. But I have an update on the dome light, there were two wires going into the back of the original cluster for the door ajar/domelight. well, since I don’t have the original cluster in it anymore, the explorer cluster only calls for one wire going into it so I cut one of the wires loose and the dome light works but it only goes out when it times out after about five minutes or when I turn the key on. But it still comes on when I turn the key off until it times out after five minutes. Maybe I will try to hook that wire back up that I cut loose behind the cluster and cut the other one loose instead and see what happens🤷🏻‍♂️.

I’m probably not gonna mess with it for a while though cause it’s not a big deal but it is a big deal to pull the cluster in and out of those rangers and I am tired of pulling them out so I need a break 😂😂

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals