• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with 89 2.3!!!

Game_bred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 89 ranger 2.3 that is cutting out mid throttle ,idling rough, gives a raw fuel smell and check engine light is on but WILL not give codes.

It has complete new engine , fuel pump, fuel filter , and tps sensor. I Have tripple checked timing also tried swapping icm , iacv, and map sensor .

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
No exhaust leaks? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? How did the motor run before the rebuild? (Or swap) what's different before and after?

Don't know if these motors use a map or maf sensor if it's a maf try cleaning it with maf cleaner. If it's a map just get a new one they aren't too terribly priced. These sensors can really make things go haywire, when they read wrong airflow, it can cause exactly what you say, making it rich or as if the motor is choked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Air cleaner is new I assume too?
Fuel injectors might be leaking causing too much fuel in the combustion chamber, check the psi key on engine off and see if it bleeds off. Should hold steady for at least 10 minutes, 40ish psi I believe in your truck

Last edited:

Game_bred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here's the story on the truck..... I purchased it around 5 years ago drove it for 2 years with no problems until it blew a head gasket on me. I let it sit for a year or so then I built the motor all new belt,pulleys, and pumps and was going to install a new a4ld but could t find one. So the truck sat for a year and a half . I finally decided to do the m5od swap got that done . ..... Then when I go start this happens
No fuel........... The new pump I put in corroded and gas turned to sludge. Couple hundred bucks later new pump,new filter,and cleaned tank. Problem fixed
No power to Ignition solenoid........ I had to jump some wires that went to the a4ld's nss problem fixed

Still not turning over ........... New ignition solenoid problem fixed

Now after all that its missing and won't give me any codes but CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON

Game_bred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It does have a SLIGHT exhaust leak between mid pipe flange. The flange was bent somehow during the engine or tranny swap.

I can't find any vacuum leaks

Game_bred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also I took injectors out to make sure the screen on top of them wasn't dirty. They looked fine so I cleaned them best I could with carb cleaner and put them back in.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
What is your fuel pressure? Can the pump & filter flow enough fuel to run at higher speeds?

A MAF shows problems mostly on acceleration as the airflow will be 'off' from actual, and the computer won't make up as quickly for the increased airflow.
The reason to check fuel pressure is you report the smell of gasoline. That means it's leaking or being puffed back from the intake, possibly with too much pressure. A leaky injector could flood the intake, and also produce a gasoline smell. The leakdown test suggested would indicate good, or something, an injector or the check valve or the regulator are leaky. The vacuum line to the regulator can be pulled, and sniffed. If it smells like fuel, likely the diaphragm is perforated, allowing WAY excessive fuel to be sucked into the intake.
tom

Game_bred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This year does not have a maf sensor . Fuel pressure at idle is 23 and 40 at wot

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The pressure developed seems a bit low to me. I thought 30-40 at idle, and higher at WOT.
Did you put a gauge on it and leave the gauge after shutting down? If the pressure drops quickly, you may have a check valve or leaking injector problem. There's a check valve in the pressure regulator, I think to keep fuel in the injector feed rail for use @ startup. The injectors should hold pressure for a while after shutdown. If not, yours might be leaky.
I would check that the spark plug wires are not arcing to ground by running the engine at idle in the dark. If you get a 'light show', visible arcing from the wires, they might be the cause of your problem.
tom

Game_bred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think I had the gauge screwed in all the way . I checked it again yesterday and it read around 32 at idle and 40 at wot but it would drop to 28 mid throttle. it is not holding pressure after shutdown

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You have found the source of your issue, now it's time to find where the leak is

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Depending on cost, I think I might just replace the fuel pressure regulator. They can jam, at least in one FoMoCo design used on the 4.0, and your mileage will drop by 50%. I still think the pressure is low, but don't know if it is the pump or regulator.
tom

Game_bred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update ....... Replaced fuel pump again , new fpr , swapped injectors , inspected and cleaned fuel rail and lines STILL MISSING!

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You can check MAP output using a DVOM with a Hz setting. The MAP puts out a 'buzz' with the frequency changing with the vacuum level in the intake. If it goes nutty, it will send the computer all sorts of information and the computer will vary the fuel injection all over the place, leading to poor running. If the TPS is flaky, and they can have 'dropout' anywhere in their arc of travel, it may cause intermittent running.
If you would be so kind as to give a more detailed description of what the engine is doing now it will help.
tom

Game_bred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When started it runs smooth for a few seconds then the idle drops and has a slight miss to it . When parked It revs fine at wot but if you hold it half throttle it has a BAD miss . When driving it cuts out completely if you try giving it wot.
The checking engine light is on but for some reason it won't let me read the codes. Also the tps sensor is new and I have tried 2 other map sensors didn't make a difference .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals