• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help with a4ld trans

94rangerx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i got a quick question i have a 94 ranger 3.0 auto, i just put in a transmission out of another truck in it i replaced the trans filter and fluid and the vacuum modulator and when u try to take off it seems like it has no power to move except in reverse it will pull just fine, once u get going it drives fine shifts smooth, now when i pulled the trans out of the other truck it was driving fine didnt have that issue, could it be the torque converter or something?

94rangerx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok i just went out and jacked up the rearend it is a little hard to turn the wheels but its not the brakes i went threw all the gears and in 1st gear the wheels wont turn till you got it tached bout 2700 rpm but any other gears it will turn without touching the gas, i also put the wheels in gravel and then tried wet grass and tried to powerbrake it and it wouldnt even spin, but if im driven like 10 mph and give it gas in gravel or wet road it will go around with you

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Over my head but sounds like the pump...... But I am often wrong.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Not having a book in front of me to reference about this particular transmission, and having never taken an A4LD apart. That said...

You pulled it out of another truck, and it was working just fine when you pulled it.

It shifts fine after 1st gear.

When you reved it to 2700 to get the wheels turning, was the engine seemingly under load, or was it free wheeling up to that point?

If it wasn't under load, and the transmission was known to be good prior to being installed, I would venture a guess as to the shift linkage being out of alignment. Or perhaps a seal has gone bad for the 1st/reverse servo.

It doesn't appear that this transmission uses an electronic shift solenoid for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear from my quick research.

If the torque convertor was malfunctioning, my experience would suggest that you would have no functioning gears, no lockup, no oil pump, or a combination of the three. You would also have shrapnel floating around.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
when you installed the torque converter into the trans before bolting it to the truck, it should have been clunked into position 3 times. just to check.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
ajust the kick down linkage, verfi the shifter linkage is set right, and if the modulator is ajustable turn it all the way in and go from there.

but it really sounds like the shifter linkage is off. like your starting off in 2nd gear....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals