• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need New shock mount

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I got home today and looked behind the drivers front wheel. And my shock ripped out the metal it was bolted through. It was rusted and was going to happen sooner or later i suppose, but there were a lot of pot holes on the road today. Are there cheap replacements for this? Id like to get a drivers and a passengers, I know that James Duff makes them, but im not sure if his mounts are specific to his coils and shocks, and im not sure if my Rough Country stuff will work. Can anyone help me, this is my Daily Driver.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
It tore out the metal in the coil bucket where the stud mounts? You can weld in a washer to make the hole the proper size again.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, at the top, anyway, i wouldnt deem it safe, both coil buckets are rusted so badly, the metal isnt quite thick enough for my to keep a peaceful mind. I have been in touch in with someone from James Duff, and they said that my rough country coil springs will work with their bucket, and im pretty sure, but trying to find out now, if their buckets come with the shocks, anyone know about this? Thanks for the help Sasquatch

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I would assume that the shocks are separate from the coil buckets. Check with the ford dealer and see what they are worth.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
IIRC, the JD buckets have eye-type shock mounts on them.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual

you could always do somethig like that with the stock buckets to get away from the stud mount shocks.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Which would be better, i hate those stupid stud mounts
Only problem I've ever encountered myself is the fact there seems to be few choices available in shock lengths (yet the valving is almost too soft on eye-type shocks, at least in the case with Bilstein 5125s without having to special-order them) :icon_confused:

BTW, those look cool, canyoncritter :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
junkie, look in to the 6inch lift single shock for the front of 99-04 4x4 superdutys. 14.5/25 long. dont know the vavling. but maybe anouther option?

I like those buckets too,cheap and simple.I was going to do something like that but wound up with autofab buckets.

like these ones too.springs cant come out,and a sleeper way out mounting a airbump.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
junkie, look in to the 6inch lift single shock for the front of 99-04 4x4 superdutys. 14.5/25 long. dont know the vavling. but maybe anouther option?
Yeah, those wouldn't be long enough, I need something between 29-31" ext on my BII.

To get back on topic... I would check with the Ford dealer. Things like brackets and shock mounts are not that expensive. New stock stuff pops up often on Ebay, too.

Last edited:

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
while were still on this topic, i would really like to do something cool like that, but i need to get this thing fixed, right now ive just sandwiched on top and on bottom to temporarily fix the issue. I went to the junkyard today and got a coil bucket from another ranger. I didnt see any difference at all between my 4x4 and the 2wd i pulled it from. But seeing now that the one i pulled says "L4x2" stamped on it, im in question. Holding it up to mine i see no difference in shape or size, everything looks the same. Only thing that might be different is the key way where the brake line fits in, but im not worried about it. Does anyone know of any difference, or reason why i cant try this 4x2 bucket o nmy 4x4??? thanks,
Shawn

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
measure them, measure from the bottom mounting hole up to the coil pocket top(where the top of your coil spring sits) then from the bottom hole to the edge of the bucket were it fold over under the frame. ....then measure the ones on your truck.

Ive been told there is a inch diffrence,but have never had them side by side to compare.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I think the rivet hole locations are different on it due to the crossmember, but not sure (I haven't compared them side-by-side either).

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i really see no difference in size as fas as it being shorter in height and width, the rivet holes are exactly th same. Only thing i want to check out when i get my old one off is th depth. Maybe the 2wd sits closer to the frame, we shall see, ill lt everyone know, although it would be just as easy to rip a coil bucket from a 4x4, but incase you cant find one, just a 2wd, this thread may come in handy. Thanks for everyones help on what to look for. Ill let you all know what i find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals