• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) neutral safety switch

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
have a '95 xlt. had a 44E trans but after 5 trannies (3 were aamco-HUGE mistake) i put a 5MOD from a 94 in it. 2 years later the safety switch is not switching; step, push, stamp, stomp and maybe, just maybe, it will crank. i am now at the point of looking for parking spots that i can roll out of to jump start (not an easy thing to find in flat florida). this is the second switch to do this. the switch just floats on the clutch rod, which to my thinking is odd, that it should be a fixed mounting but that's how it was on the 94 and the pick-your-own truck. anyone have this problem? and how did you fix it?
in the near future i want to go back to an automatic trannie. i will need to do a motor swap also as this totally stock 2.3 has over 400k miles and is getting tired. seems the 44E was a not very good trans. what motor/trans can i bolt in, understanding that the wiring/computer will also have to be swapped. i won't care about gutting a junker for the wiring but i don't want to have to swap all the dash stuff putting it in the 95

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If they give me too much trouble, I just wire around it. Sure, it will start in gear, but I never had a problem with it, I always push the clutch in before cranking.

Here's a diagram. You should have to only jump the red/lightblue wire. The other parts of the switch are to knock out the cruise control if you push the clutch pedal, and a signal to the computer to put it in a different fueling strategy if you push on the clutch pedal.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I will assume you don't have a THEFT system, which was an option but not ordered much in 1995, first year for it

The clutch switch doesn't need to be fixed to the pushrod, no need to do that, its a compression switch

There are 3 separate switches inside it, all 3 are open/disconnected when switch is uncompressed/floating
When you push clutch pedal down the switch is sandwiched between master and pedal and compresses which closes all 3 switches inside
One pair of wires, on one switch, is for Starter activation, they are next to each other on one end of the switch
Red/blue is common as is pink for wire colors on starter activation in 1995

Yes, these 2 wires can just be spliced together full time and if clutch switch is the problem then its by passed
People often use Trailer Light splice connectors to do this, like these: https://mechanicalelements.com/wp-content/uploads/t-splice.png

If clutch pedal feels loose it could be worn out bushings so not compressing the clutch switch enough each time
You can slice a rubber hose and put it over upper end of pushrod, thin piece of hose, then tape it, it will compress the switch a bit more if thats the issue

Last edited:

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
crawled under the dash to see what wires you are talking about. mine are multi-colored wires so i wasn't sure which ones i wanted. as i was moving the pedal to see, something fell on me- part of a small plastic clip. hmmm. looked on the O'Reilly site and found the part; Dormann 74014, got it, and now i have a functioning safety switch! love it when a plan comes together!
thanks for the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals