• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Never been so puzzled and frustrated

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Build it, Break it, Re-build it stronger.
Ok, So the last couple days my truck been broke down. A couple days ago my Transmission (FM146) would no longer shift into gear, I even had a hard time putting it ion gear with the engine was off. So I went and put a M5OD behind her with a brand new, clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and fly wheel. Still same problem but now when I crank up with it in gear she takes off like a rocket. And i cant shift into any gears while the engine on, with it off I can. I have Just replaced the master cylinder and slave cylinder (also throw out bearing) and still same problem. I have Bled the clutch 500 times multiple different ways, and even after driving around in 2nd for a ways still nothing. I cant start the truck up in neutral, but cant shift into gear. I can start the truck up in gear but she takes off, even my brakes have trouble holding me. I am just at as total lose, I don't know what to do. I could really use some advice, I need her back ASAP.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So what you are saying is that when the clutch pedal is all the way down the pressure plate is not releasing the friction plate, so no clutch at all.

Does the pedal feel like it is building up pressure?

There were "self adjusting" pressure plates, they had to be reset with a press to be reused, but you got a new pressure plate.
Did you double check that the friction plate is the correct one, not too thick.

So either the master is not pumping out enough pressure or the slave is not expanding enough

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The clutch feels like it has TONS of pressure, better then it ever had. I can look into the bell housing through the hole with rubber cover and see the slave cylinder moving/pushing put but it only looks like maybe half a inch but I can also see it make contact with the pressure plate and move it but I cant tell if it enough to disengage/engage the clutch.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Quick and dirty test, unhook the line at the slave and push on the clutch pedal. If you can't move it the master and line are good.

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When i unhook the line from the slave cylinder I can not push fluid out by pressing down on the clutch pedal, it as stiff as a rock. So this means it either a bad slave cylinder, throw out bearing?, or the clutch kit is messed up? When I got the M5OD it had a Slave cylinder in it, so I have three right now, i have tried all three with different Throw out bearing and still same problem. bleeding the clutch does not help in any form, even driving around in 2nd hoping it will just fix it self... I just am unsure what to do, no matter what I replace or do nothing changes.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The TOB isn't going to cause your issue. It almost has to be air in the system still.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And if the clutch goes hard with the line disconnected it is definitely air in the slave not the clutch master or line. My slave gravity bled pretty easily, how are you going about bleeding yours?

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
We done multiple different ways. But for the brand new Slave cylinder I have in all we done so far is open the bleeder screw for about 10 seconds to let it get down and then close it up and then i got in and my buddy reopened it up and I slowly pressed the clutch down then released it quickly. We did this about 3 or 4 times. then cranked it up and pressed clutch maybe...100 times and still nothing.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get your buddy, one of you push the pedal down and hold it. then open the bleeder until the fluid almost stops flowing, and close it. then release the pedal for 5 seconds and repeat. should only take 2-3 times to get the air out and have your clutch working properly

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Make SURE to keep reservoir full!

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Can I keep the top off while pushing the clutch down to keep a eye on it or do I have to keep it on?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Leave top of reservoir off, check valve in master prevents fluid from coming up into the reservoir, if fluid does come up then you found the problem, master pedal pressure is not going to the slave.

Last edited:

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ok, So I have Bled the truck over and over, and let it sit... still no matter what I do to bled it nothing changes... SO I am starting to think perhaps it the pressure plat? Is there a way to check it? that they are not warped or bent in? I can SEE the Throw out bearing push against the pressure plate, but it only moving about .3 to half inch, I can hear it putting pressure on the pressure plate. I cant put it in gear... can it be because the pressure plat bent in or warped and consistently pushing the clutch against the fly wheel so I cant put in gear? I am just guessing at this point. Everything it doing now starting randomly before I replaced all the parts for clutch/hydraulic system.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The Rat's clutch job, I started with the rear main seal and worked my way to the clutch pedal It is all new. The clutch hose was rusted through, so I replaced it. Everything came with directions on how to bleed the clutch. The MC gets bled before it is mounted to the fire wall. The hose is put on it. At the slave end of the hose is a fitting to mount it to the slave. With the cap off the MC anit full, hold the connector open with ,whatever it takes. Hold it open a until the fluid is clear. Then open the slave bleeder, plug in the hose. When the slave bleeds clear you're done . Now put the MC on the fire wall. :D

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When the Rear axle out I can shift into gear at idle fine, and with the drive shaft in and rear end lifted off ground. But once I set the rear end on the ground I can no longer shift into gear from idle and if I start it in gear it takes off like a rocket. My cross member for trans it kind of tweaked but seem still ok.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals