• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Boy Here (since late 2021)

RainjerBill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Greetings, I'm the owner of a clean, secondhand '98 Ranger XLT 2.5 5 speed RWD, with a colour-matched canopy. I'm mainly a moto guy, with the garage space reserved for them, since my cars and this pickup have their own roofs. I've enjoyed fiddling with the various imported cars I've had over the years. I bought this tidy little Ranger from a colleague who was gifted a newer Dodge Ram diesel. It was used round his hobby farm so has the usual minor dents and dings, but was maintained regularly as evidenced by the thick wad of repair order receipts from the early naughts - he got it from inlaws who towed it behind their RV - to 2021 when I got hold of it.
Once in my possession I switched into overalls and crawled beneath it to change all of the driveline fluids, brake fluid, & coolant. Next up, NGK sparkies and NGK leads went in. Ain't those last two holes of eight on the right hand side a b*itch to reach?! I did it with a "wobbly," a 12" 3/8" extension, and much patience. Air & fuel filters were next. A new heater fan resistor restored the multiple interior fan settings. It came with two sets of 15" alloy wheels, likely from an Exploder, one with studded Hankook snowies, the other a set of Toyo all-season, both rated for light trucks. I whacked a JVC stereo unit and speakers into it for more thud and thump after the OEM unit pushed up daisies. A separate thread shows the issue I have had there. I've been a silent partner on this forum since joining about 20 months ago. Thanks for having me.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

RainjerBill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Thanks all. Good to be here. Mine's pretty basic compared to some member's vehicles I'm reading about.

I failed to mention, as part of my original fix up work, that new headlamps, front turn indicators and taillights were sourced due to cracks and/or lens fading. It's amazing how relatively inexpensive - and obtainable - decent quality replacement bits are for these Rangers. The brake booster needed replacement as well - such crud build-up between it and the brake master cylinder. Advance Auto had one in stock for under a hundee. My Audi A4 B8 pieces never come this cheaply.

Next up, bleeding the clutch hydraulics, and for later on, I wanna work out a relatively bolt on upgrade to the bare bones front disc/caliper and rear drum set-up, which was ok in the day but is barely adequate. There must be a thread here somewhere.
Cheers.

MXGerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome! This is the place for knowledge

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
98 should already have the dual piston front brakes which are as good as it get except for Sport Trac upgrade. Which uses the same calipers. Just on a larger rotor.

Rear can be swapped to Mustang rear disc or the whole axle swapped for an Explorer rear disc model.

Both can be made to stop VERY quickly. A stab of the brake pedal with the front you already have and Explorer rear stops fast enough to leave a bruise from the seatbelt.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@RainjerBill How are those NGK plugs and wires doing. There was a small discussion about this the other day.

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals