• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new engine breakin

Kylan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i'm wondering peoples suggestions for breaking in a new engine. i've started it a couple times but haven't drove it yet, just don't wanna screw anything up. how long before the first oil change do ya'll think?

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
Vary your rpms, drive around town, not on the freeway at a constant speed. dont stick your foot into it until 75-100 miles, change that oil at about 750 miles . keep an eye on oil and coolant levels/condition.

Kylan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
when can i drive on the highway?

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
I would stay away from extended hwy rpms for first 100 miles or at least vary the hwy speeds , dont use your cruise control. Im pretty old school about it but, no motor i have built yet has ever given me a problem after following this procedure.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On my girlfriends mothers Volvo, they recommended to drive no faster than 55mph and vary the engine speeds for the first 500 miles. Which meant my Girlfriend got to drive her moms car for a few weeks. :)

I think the 55 mph is kinda bull shit, and so did her dad who is very mechanically inclined, but when he dropped 40k on a new car he was pretty much follow the book.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure they reccommend something different for cars, but on my dirt bikes I go out and vary the RPM's WOT for very limited amount of time, get the motor good and warm, shut it down and let it cool all the way off, and repeat 2-3 times. After It's been hot/cold a few times I just let her rip. Then change the oil when i get back home and start on regular maintinence intervals. Be sure when you drop the oil for the first time you inspect it for metal. probably will see a bunch of gasket peices and sealent junk come out for the first and second oil change. I'm sure everyone will say it's a totally different beast, but thats what i'd do.

bergz0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
leveling kit
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
they sell engine break in additive at any auto parts store. ANd i was talking to my boss. he said oil wise change it 1,000 miles, 2,000 miles, then 3,00 miles. then you can do the 3,000 mile oil change routine and your good

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals