• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new fuel economy standards

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
new fuel economy standards:
"The plan will require passenger cars and light trucks to get an overall average of 35.5 miles per gallon by 2016, according to a senior administration official with knowledge of the plan. By that year, cars will be expected to average about 39 mpg and 30 mpg for trucks.

Current fuel economy standards are 27.5 mpg for cars and 23.1 mpg for trucks."

This might be good for you diesel fans. light trucks need to have an overall average of 35.5mpg.

I fear that trucks are going to start looking ugly and wimpy because there probably goning to make them more aerodynamic.
plus what will this do to the 4X4 market.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you are going to see more hybrids and trucks that nobody can afford........

ccrunner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
good thing my truck is so reliable. i wont have to worry about something new for awhile. my 3.0 only has 73,xxx

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The only thing I'd miss about the size if they made them smaller is the back seat room in my F-150 supercrew. Everybody that rides back there comments on how much room they have compared to other trucks. But really, if it wasn't available, I'd just get a car with the same amount of room and keep a cheap old truck to haul stuff and tow the boat.

A funny thing if you look at Europe - those crazies tow 15 foot camper trailers with what we would consider a compact car. They don't get anywhere fast, but they do it.

For 4x4's, who knows. If the manufacturers had a brain in their heads they'll gear the differentials up to get lower cruising RPM, and give us lower low range in the t-case to balance it out. Then we can regear the diff's in the aftermarket and get awesome crawl ratios.

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It will force up the price and force those who can't afford new to keep older less efficient cars longer. Rather than make decent gains for all, we will make good gains for few and no gains for others and be further behind.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, we'll fund it all with tax money since two out of 3 are bankrupt now and ford will be killed by this.

And I thought the last guy was a moron

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
using a higher (numerically) gear ratio to lower the RPMs is not the answer..... gearing the truck to run where the engine is happy is the answer.........

unless you have a direct drive transmission then 3.08s are not going to do anything for mileage........ really these new [ford] engines should all be sporting 3.90 - 4.30 gear ratios..............

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ummmm, i'm lost. As some of you may know I run my own shop, and am the only tech. I was the youngest ASE cert master tech with L1 and diesel master with L2 for a while. Something about this strikes me very wrong. See the new hybrid tahoe and truck 6.0 liter with multi displacement get 11.8 mpg average on the highway, umm and it's an extra 6 g's in the price tag. Excuse me, but i'm not stupid, I would rather have one that gets 12 city and 20 highway instead it's flipped. This technology, although a little old, is in it's infancy, and should not be forced by our government. When it is cost effective it will be bought by average consumers, and right now to some it is, but it's more braging rights than anything. I LOVE the millions of GM's and FORD's that are running up and down the road that someone paid extra for flex fuel thinking it's better and it does them no good cause there are no ethanol stations for hundreds of miles around here. Now the last rant I have, are the emissions more important than fuel mileage? The EPA seems to think so because the deisel burn a lot cleaner, but get almost half the mileage they used to, so burning more fuel, but burning it cleaner is better? I'm lost and our government is a joke on this subject. :icon_confused:

PickupMan04 FX4 L2

total f ing bull$Hit if you ask me!:annoyed:

Im gonna keep this damn truck forever! :icon_idea:

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The only "advantage" to ethanol is the reduced emissions. E85 actually reduces MPG.

I live about 5 minutes away from Ford World HQ. 15 years ago, electric Rangers were a dime a dozen around here, although they were never sold to the public. Why the auto companies quit on electric technology is a whole separate issue, but the American companies could have been on the cutting edge of hybrids years ago. I'm no fan of electric, but those fuel economy standards are for a companies entire fleet. Some models can be way below that average just as long as all the combined vehicles meet that average. So yeah, I'd like to see a 100mpg Focus I'll never buy, so companies will still be able to produce sports cars and pickups.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If they raise fuel economy by 36% that means 36% less tax paid on fuel. So now they would have to raise tax on gas to offset it. The consumer is going to pay more for the car or truck and pay more for gas and tax. This helps how? I didnt hear if that applys to imports? Do imports have to meet EPA and mileage goals to be sold here? What would keep people from buying an import for less? And this helps out our auto industry?

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
That I know of the standard would apply to all cars, trucks, SUVs, etc, regardless of manufacturer.

I'm no fan of electric, but those fuel economy standards are for a companies entire fleet. Some models can be way below that average just as long as all the combined vehicles meet that average. So yeah, I'd like to see a 100mpg Focus I'll never buy, so companies will still be able to produce sports cars and pickups.
That I am aware, the fuel averages for sub-categories (SUV, pickup, sedan, etc) will be increased as well, with the average coming out to the 35.5mpg.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't mind electric vehicles. I am a fan of the volt idea, but will never own another GM in my life, plain and simple. I would like the option of more cars like the smart in America built by american companies with some sort of hybrid tech. Let me ask ya'll this, why is it a lot of european companies make a host of 100 mpg cars, but cannot import them #1 cause of our emissions standards won't let them?!?! #2 cause of our safety standards. Now, i'm not trying to imply our governments intentions on safety standards, but if I want a aluminum can with wheels, is it not my right to own one? Isn't a motorcycle the same with less protection...

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What I want to know about hybrids is what happens when you have to run with all the lights on and the heater running full blast. I'll bet the fuel consumption goes down the toilet. Those conditions would be about half the year here.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What I want to know about hybrids is what happens when you have to run with all the lights on and the heater running full blast. I'll bet the fuel consumption goes down the toilet. Those conditions would be about half the year here.
How much does your fuel economy go down when you have the lights and heater on in your truck? It's the same thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals