• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new gauges

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 87 ranger, which I would like to put after market temp, voltage and oil pressure gauges in. However, I got to thinking that the temp gauge must send a signal to the computer and if I install the other gauge it would interupt this signal. Is there a way to prevent this or does the temp signal come from somewhere other then the sensor by the T-Stat?

Just got done overhauling engine and the temp gauge in dash reads hot all the time. Have measured temp of engine and it reads okay, so gauge must be off. Than just recently the oil pressure idiot light started coming on. I haven't double checked this, but I installed a new pump during rebuild and haven't heard lifters clicking. So once again, believe light/sensor is defective.

Figured gauges would be a better option, just don't want to interupt any signals.

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Dang guys thought I would get a bit of help here!!!!! Let me ask a more direct question: Where should I attach the temp probe for a mechanical gauge? Was going to ask where to stick it, but was afraid someone would tell me!! :tease:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would for sure see what the problem is with my existing gauges and repair the problem Since they seem to ALL be not working correctly may be that the dash needs a better ground..
I simply am NOT in favor of making my ride ugly with gauges all over the dash area. DIFFERENT gauges only tell you what the original ones should tell you...nothing more.
Big Jim

Syko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The stock gauges in my 87 b2 are shit. and i would never trust them so i got aftermarket ones.. i recommend aftermarket gauges if u want to know what ur engine is doing

IDontCare

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put auto meter gauges in my truck, oil water and air fuel gauges , all three are mounted under my ashtray, the sensors to the computer and the sensors to the gauges are different, i havent had any problems. my gauges came with new sensors so im sure there accurate within a good tolerance. once u replace the stock sensor u cant use the stock gauges anymore.

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Really appreciate everyone voiceing their opinon on rather or not to install mechnical/after market gauges.

However, I was asking if there is another known good port to install the temperture gauge probe, other than right by the t-stat.

Personally, I would much rather know my truck is running at 195 degrees than between O and R. If you mount the gauge correctly, they are not a eye sore, but can enhance your interior. Or at the very least show you are concerned about getting the best readings on you engine you can.

IDontCare

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
stick it in between the radiator fins like the probes for aftermarket electric fans. thats one idea...Or use the hole for the stock temp sensor theres 2 holes on there for the 2.9l the one with the big connector is for the computer and the one with the little black wire is for the dash gauge, warm up ur engine and unplug it. it doesn't affect the computer the gauge in the dash will just never move. i stood over my engine for a while trying to find another spot but there just wasn't one i could find for that...:icon_idea: one last idea i just thought but dont recommend get a tap and die set and drill and tap a new hole for the dammed thing... i bet it would work but i doubt you would want to drain your coolant and pull your whole top end off just to do it.... but its just an idea . thats all i got. good luck with that.. aluminum is easy to cut and thread its a very soft metal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals