• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Mazda B4000 owner and just have a few questions

cereal83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

Well I just bought a 08 Mazda B4000 and I am curious about a few questions.

1 - Is the back window secure? Like I have read somewhere that it is very easily broken into. Is that really the case and if so, is there anything I can do to make it more secure?

2 - HID's, I would like HID's on the truck so I am wondering if there is a kit specific for the Mazda. Also, are there any projection lenses that can be added to the truck? Like I want to remove the old lense, put a new projector lense in and then add the HID lights for minimal glare?

3 - I have never owned a truck before so when I go off-roading, how will I know what is too much for the truck? Like right now we have a foot of snow so if I went driving into the pretty flat trail with that much snow, would I have any problems?

4 - Any common tricks for the truck that I should know about? Can be about any part of the truck

5 - Any quick and easy way to get a power wire for a amp through the firewall?

6 - Any way to add a winch to the truck?

7 - Line-x or Rhino liner for the bed of the truck?

8 - Suggestions for some huge off-roading lights for the truck and where should I mount them?

Any help on these questions would be great. Thanks all

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Watch your mud flaps ...the break real easy when backing up..

cereal83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the heads up. Anybody else have any answers to my other few questions?

broken2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
driving through snow depends on the density of the snow. sometimes a foot is no problem sometimes if its wind driven snow it'll stop you dead. it helps to have the right tires.

I would recommend line-x i work at a ford dealership and thats what we use. the people who use rhino liner complain that it fades and peels. we have had no complaints about the line-x

also be sure to cycle your four wheel drive at least once a month just to keep things working. that will make the hubs last longer.

i'm curious, what made you choose the mazda over a ranger?

Last edited:

cereal83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I went with Mazda because I was in a lease with a Mazda 3 and I wanted out but the only way out was to buy a new Mazda. I originally wanted a Ranger FX4II but then I found out I was going to have to buy a Mazda so I got the B4000. :)

I will remember to use my 4wd atleast once a month but does that mean 4Hi or 4Low or both?

I am also leaving towards Line-x but she sure is expensive. $520 CAN to have the box done. I mean it's only $200 more then a plastic bed liner but geez, I just got a new truck.

broken2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the mechanics tell me just four hi should be fine.

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
driving through snow depends on the density of the snow. sometimes a foot is no problem sometimes if its wind driven snow it'll stop you dead. it helps to have the right tires.

I would recommend line-x i work at a ford dealership and thats what we use. the people who use rhino liner complain that it fades and peels. we have had no complaints about the line-x

also be sure to cycle your four wheel drive at least once a month just to keep things working. that will make the hubs last longer.

i'm curious, what made you choose the mazda over a ranger?
^ Kind of a stupid question isn't it?:D

Angus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
So far my truck has had little problem getting through all the snow we have had out west this year. I would be pretty confident taking it through a foot of snow, so long as it is not sheer ice below. Today was the first time I had to take a second run up my driveway due to the ice formed the other day...I hesitated at the top and spun loose. But flat roads with a foot of snow? No problem...

...speaking of problems...and this probably goes for the Ranger as well. They tell you that you have a "Full Sized Spare" ...you had better look a bit closer...my truck came with 255/70/16 with a "spare" that is 235/70/16...now that spare has a totally different circumference than the four running tires. If it was 235/75/16 it would be close enough perhaps, but still not correct. I questioned the sales person about this and he said that "the spare is exactly the same circumference as the other tires according to the service manager" and brushed my concerns of to the side !!!

Well, a quick check to www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html tells a totally different story...I will be pursuing this with the dealer this week. This is a sure way to bugger your 4x4 if you ever have to use that spare with the hubs locked...plus it is a safety issue...why has nobody noticed this problem !!! Check your spares and lets get Mazda/Ford to rise to this problem.

My other gripe is when I was in Calgary at minus 30 to 40 C before Christmas ( my first real drive in my new truck ) the Access doors would not latch shut at the top...everything moved freely and I dicked with it for at least half an hour before giving up. After slamming the doors hard a couple of times, the speaker or some insulation came loose inside, and now it clunks around whenever I hit a bump. In the end, I drove away with the Access doors unlatched at the top...not a happy camper at all...after a couple of hours with heat blasting in the cab I stopped in Banff for a coffee and tried the doors again...this time they latched...

When I arrived home to Kelowna I talked to the dealer and they said they had never heard of such a problem, but agreed to fix whatever is loose inside.

This truck so far seems to be a great bargain with all the bells and whistles it came outfitted with. The Tacoma I really wanted was twice the price.

As for spray in bed liners...mine was done by Armaguard in town and he did a great job...perfection actually...and for under $400.00

Check those spares...it is my understanding 4x4's must have exactly the same tire all around or you are looking at major work down the road.

Buddy's B4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Front Suspension Trick

In response to your question about little tricks that can be done to improve the look/performance of your truck, if you tighten up the torsion bars on your front suspension you can achieve 2" of free lift, leveling up the front and back of the truck, this will also give you enough room to comfortably run a 31" tall tire. Also I found that the look of the truck was improved when I removed the mud flaps.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals