• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new motor in, some sort of chirp going on

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
heyy guys/gals, soo i put my new built motor in...yadda yadda...with the m112 on it...and the spec stage 5 clutch (i needed the clutch, some said spec was legit..some said they would not goo with spec...at all...some said that they have had some small problems with spec...) soo that was mixed feelings with that..but centreforce didnt have the dual friction clutch for another like 3 weeks..and i HAD to put the motor in...and soo i went to spec and scoped that out and got the stage 5 because the rep told me that it would hold the most torque at 510 at the flywheel...stage 4 was 420...stage 3+ was 370 stage 3 was like 320...and i was planning on putting about 300whp down, which would hopefully be about 360ish wtq...which is somewhere above/around 420..soo to be safe on that i went to stage 5....PROBABLY OVERKILL...i notice that now.... :(..

but onto the problem...the setup only has 110miles on it now..soo i guess its kinda hard to judge the problem, but anyway...i ahev to like relearn how to drive cause the clutch is like sooo sticky that WOW...but anyway again

when i left the tuner shop (they tuned the fuel trims to make it driveable) i heard this like chirping noise as if i was breifly spinning the tires...and the tuner was like, waoh i was not hearing that on the dyno...and he thought it was coming from upfront...soo we were guessing the clutch or something to do with the clutch

soo i drive it around blah blah and its just SCREAMING (chirping) but like really whinning and high pitched when i pull from a stop...more soo when i ride the clutch alittle..but i dont think the tranny will be able to really take me just dropping the clutch, and that will be hard on all the joints....but it chirps in 1st...then i shift to second and it slightly chirps..and sometimes it chirped going into 3rd....now after driving it alittle...i started to realized if i try to rev match the shifts and slowly let the clutch out...SLOWLY it wont do it...just coming out of a stop it will...WIERD....but driving today...i went through all the shifts and IT DIDNT DO IT..AT ALL...not even from a stop....

then when i get home, im pulling onto the lawn and its making the chirping sound when my foot is nowhere near the clutch...this also happened when i was breaking while the truck was still in gear...just foot on the break..and it was like chirping....soooo that throw out my thoughts about stuff that had to deal with the truck just starting up or whatever...like the clutch being like too good and the clutch making contact with the flywheel and making a chirp or something? i dk..

anyone have any ideas for me? thanks

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Try pulling your starter and see if your clutch is making contact with it, you should see some wear marks on the nose of your starter. Did you install the shim plate between the motor and trans?? How about your clutch slave cylinder, is it contacting the clutch?? Throwout bearing, is it new/upgraded?? Is the Throwout bearing capable of handling the extra force the clutch has?? I'd check those and see, its a process of elimination
SVT

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
how would the cclutch be hitting the starter? yaa i installed the plate between the motor and trans. not sure if the slave cylinder is contacting, throw out bearing came with clutch.

fishinfool

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
give it time spec clutch's take a while to break in, my cousin has an 04 cobra and his spec3+ was ridiculously stiff and it would chatter and shake the whole car on take offs, but after about 800 miles it got broke in and is a lot smoother now.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yaaa im waiting for the point where i can feather 1st like i used to be able to do with my stock one (probably not gonna happen...) i can feather 2nd...and it starts...not a huge amount of chirping when i do this...soo ya i guess i just have to let it break in...

ya not sure why i went with a stage 5...although they told me that it would hold the 510ftlbs at the crank....sooo....why does my ranger have a 5 when that cobra only has a 3+ :(

lol

dieselboy740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 bronco2
Transmission
Automatic
m112.. i had a input brg go bad and its noisy like what you describe. it doesnt do it sometimes if you catch it just right

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
an imput bearing? is that what you mean by "brg"?....where is the imput brg? all i know if i replaced the pilot bearing, throw out, clutch and pressure plate (all came in a kit from spec)

shady crap happening lately...whenever i come to a stop and keep it in first gear....(clutch all the way pushed in, but the tranny is still in 1st)....its still engaged with the clutch pushed to the floor.......doesnt do that if i stop in 2nd...just when i stop like that in first...F***** up

dieselboy740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 bronco2
Transmission
Automatic
oh mine did it with clutch released only. Its the input shaft bearing on mine. Make a video of the sound. Id have to hear it

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the sound is slowly going away....210 miles on it now...its a lot better than it was 150miles in...

but im worried about the other crap........like the tranny getting stuck in first when i come to a stop when i have it in first gear...and like when im stopped, sometimes it wont go into first gear..or 2nd.....

when i started the car today...it was sitting in first, and it would not come out of first....and when i turned the car on and foot on the clutch the clutch was still engaged and wanted to pull me forward WTFF.

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
...but im worried about the other crap........like the tranny getting stuck in first when i come to a stop when i have it in first gear...and like when im stopped, sometimes it wont go into first gear..or 2nd.....

when i started the car today...it was sitting in first, and it would not come out of first....and when i turned the car on and foot on the clutch the clutch was still engaged and wanted to pull me forward WTFF.
That's exactly how my clutch in the exploder died at 150,000 miles. It was a failed slave cylinder. Please tell us you remembered to put a new slave in when you had the engine out. If you re-used the old one, probably the much stiffer spec stage 5 pressure plate finally pushed the poor old slave over the edge. I'd call up spec and see if they have a slave to go with their clutch. Otherwise make sure you get a nice high quality part like LuK or motorcraft. This is not the application for the "autozone special" slave cylinder.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yaaa i called spec and they said that rangers have a tendency to have problems with the slave system...

they said to bleed the system out...and that probably the slave was heading out already and probably the stronger pressure plate and such just escalated that...

what do you i use to bleed the slave?

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
do you think just bleeding the system will fix this problem...or is it likely that the slave or master cylinder had been shot somehow? if so how would they go? i was told by SPEC that the fluid might be watery or soemthing and bad, but i REALLY dont want to have to pull the transmission off..

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Check the fluid level in the master cylinder. If it's losing fluid, you will have little option but to change the slave or master or perhaps the lines. I would change the whole thing rather than go through the aggrevation of bleeding the system more than once.

JamesC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
350 chev/3.0
I had a problem at work like that we changed the slave and bleed everything and still had the same problem turned out to be the clutch pedal bushing was worn so when fully depressed to the floor it wasn't really fully depressed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals